Jag S-Type - first hand experiences?

smellypoo

My old man has a very late S type 57 plate I think. Baught of some old duffer from Glasgow!!

He thinks it's the bees bolloxs but it's realy quite poor rust shit seats that move under cornering wonders all over the place. He's an engineer aswell so it'd been looked after

My older 5 series drives better looks better and rust less

Guest Breadvan72

We have snow in Epsom. It's settling enough to make sure it'll be slippy out there if it carries on to tomorrow morning (it's not particularly heavy snowfall)

A few centimetres of quite wet snow on the ground in South Oxon, but not quite BLIZZARDAPOCALYPSE just yet.

I was hoping for some OMG SNOKAOS to test the 4Wd in me X Type, but it looks like we might just get some sleet.

4WD or not I'd be keeping any X-type away from any gritted roads if I could help it.

My former one indulged in a bout of self-preservation a couple of winters ago by refusing to start, and so keeping well away from all that nasty salt.

Six months on things are okay with my X350 diesel.

DSC_2095.jpg

I have done a fair bit of work and spent some money on it, but nothing too bad.

The rear seats on the S type are too small for my three teenagers, but early ones not having a DPF is a big advantage.

The X350 is a long thing to park, and there is added complication of the air suspension as well.

Currently I have 33mpg average on the trip computer which isn't bad given that a lot of it was in London. It does over 40mpg on a fast motorway run.

If you like how the S Type looks then I would say that a pre DPF one could be a good shout.

They weren't competitors. The Rover is a smaller cheaper car available as 2.0 and 2.5 initially, the S-Type a class above and available as 3.0 And 4.0.

I agree that the Rover 75 is a neater more resolved design, although it too was unashamedly retro and from memory received some criticism for this at the time.

Based on the CastleBromwich Spitfire nonsense maybe the 75 has design elements from the Crusader tank which was produced at Cowley in it.

The Crusader tank was well known for overheating and having a piss poor cooling system in army service, many a thing said jest...

Every S type i looked at was rusty, including car less than 6 years old at the time, every one squeaked and rattled as well horrible cars.

I've had my 06 d for 2years now and apart from having to pay for the cambelt doing haven't had anything go on it.

It gets a regular blast up the A55 so no dpf worries, sills are like new and everything else works as it left Castle Bromwich.

It's one of the best cars I've owned coming close to an 08 skoda Octavia I owned in 09.

It regularly returns 40 to 50 mpg depending on how I roll and swallows up both the wifes and the mil's mobility scooters.

Nice car if you get a good 'un.

He thinks it's the bees bolloxs but it's realy quite poor rust shit seats that move under cornering wonders all over the place. He's an engineer aswell so it'd been looked after

My older 5 series drives better looks better and rust less

Strange, ours had none of those problems and was rock steady at 130mph. Even under firm braking as I went to overtake a police van.

I think the answer is that a good one will be lovely, a bad one will be awful. Same as every single other car in fact.

Edit: I don't agree with "he was an engineer so it was looked after", usually it's people with a bit of knowledge that let their cars run rough. I would have no problem driving a car that needed a kick on the throttle to stop it cutting out but I wouldn't give a car like that to my wife. Maybe the answer is to buy something owned by a wealthy wife who liked complaining, then it would be looked after.

My older 5 series drives better

Possible, although the one I drove was nothing to write home about, and neither was the S-type.

looks better 

No it absolutely doesn't, bland and unappealing.

rust less

Possible, although the S type doesn't have a particularly bad rep for rust - unlike the X type.  If someone made me drive a 5 Series I'd probably wish it would rot away.

As I mentioned I ran a 2003 e39 525d at the same time as a 2001 3.0 S-Type. The Jag didn't have any visible rust, whereas the BMW had scabs on the screen pillars and boot lid.

Driving wise they were pretty similar in normal driving, the limits of grip were higher in the Jag but the BMW felt just a bit more stable when really going for it.

There's a funny off camber roundabout on the Leighton Buzzard by-pass which in the Jag I could exit flat in 3rd with ( with apologies to Troy Queef) a dab of correction. In the 5, I could be going 10/15 mph faster and know exactly where it would go, it just instilled more confidence. Of course it could have been that Mrs N would have had my bollocks if I put her Jag into the barrier. Didn't matter anyway because the Jag was just getting into 5th when the BMW was flat out, so A-B the Jag was always quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Following a short drive in one of these last week when I went to look at a 75 I have been scouring eBay and gumtree for 'jags under 2 bags'

Tried one this morning.......105k on it but bugger me it was nice. Smaller 2.5 engine but went well enough. Only thing that didn't work was drivers side bum heater. Off to look at another one in same spec but bigger engine tomorrow.