Jag S-Type - first hand experiences?

smellypoo

Nice looking cars, but a diesel?  It just doesn't seem right to have a tractor engine in such a plush car.  Go 3.0 V6, the fuel bills are not that bad, my dad had one and drove it conservatively and reckoned it was actually ok on pez.

I wasn't impressed with the interior quality, considering its a Jag I thought it felt abit cheap inside but a lovely ride and very comfy.

I had one as a courtesy car while my old X300 was being serviced. Undemanding to drive, but there was a floaty, artificial and unconnected feeling that I didn't like about it. It was a V8 model which sounded epic however, more so than my X308.

It was comfy, but the rest of the interior (of this very early one) was wank. Nasty touch points and BL-esqe panel gaps and lots of badly thought out lumps of hearing aid beige plastic. Jag interiors normally want to make you stay in the car even after you arrive at your destination, this was the opposite. Although it wasn't helped by the fact this one smelled of fish for some unknown reason.

I'm sure later ones are much nicer, but if my experience is anything to go buy, early ones are toss.

S type was, as has been said, a Lincoln / Jaguar shared platform. Same one was going to be the Frogeye Scorpio replacement. So it's not Mondeo... it's a Granada :)

That's exactly what mine felt like. And would've been all the better for actually being a Ford instead of a Jag IMO

I had a look around one on a forecourt and thought it was an awkward thing to get in and out of.    The door aperture seemed too short, so when I had the seat adjusted correctly the B pillar was in the way and I had to kind of throw myself backwards into the seat.   I'm not even freakishly tall at 6'2", so really tall people must struggle.

They're also quite cramped in the back because the roof is narrower than the doors so the windows slope inwards, and you just know the electric handbrake is going to be trouble.

Verdict: oversized Mitsuoka Viewt.

Nice looking cars, but a diesel?  It just doesn't seem right to have a tractor engine in such a plush car.  Go 3.0 V6, the fuel bills are not that bad, my dad had one and drove it conservatively and reckoned it was actually ok on pez.

I wasn't impressed with the interior quality, considering its a Jag I thought it felt abit cheap inside but a lovely ride and very comfy.

Wouldn't call a silky smooth V6 diesel a tractor engine.

the dizzler is not immune from runaway

one of the doctors car's did whilst on a test drive by mechanic when it ran away- near enuff crapped hisself as the thing was wheelspinning in 4th!

Drunk it's own oil due to turbo seals?

I've seen a Land Cruiser exploderate from that (well & the fact it was on it's side in a rock gulley at the time too).

My old next door neighbour bought one even though I warned him they could be 'problematic'.  He loved it for about a week until the list of growing faults was getting ridiculous. He paid about 2.5 - 2.7K for it from a dealer who wanted nothing to do with it or him!

I really like them though! I'd have a late V8 like a shot but I wouldn't touch an early car with yours! :)

Wouldn't call a silky smooth V6 diesel a tractor engine.

It's a smooth engine in my Disco 3 (albeit detuned) but the active engine mounts in the Jaaaag make it very refined - true it doesn't sound as sweet as a pez V6, but it is easily as refined.  Not sure how they have done it, but there is no diesel "taxi clatter" at idle to give the game away.

Another thing that put me off was some of the DIY stuff - apparently you have to take the wipers off and remove some lump of plastic to change the air filter, and I saw some dire warnings about not changing the rear pads yourself due to the electric handbrake.

If this was Pistonheads, someone would say "Well you should expect to budget eleventy million pounds a second to run such a marvellous premium car" but I don't/didn't.

You'd need the tool to put it into service mode, you can get these a lot cheaper these days though than they were. But then you are talking an hours labour tops at a garage, for the sake of £40 or so...

No idea how anyone would think changing windscreen wipers was different on this car or simply putting the epb off by holding the switch down when you switch off is any black art.

As I said, I saw some dire warnings in some Jag mag I used to subscribe to - could have been bollocks though.

A lot of wipers on moderns (that the blades aren't accessible on when parked) have a service mode/position. Often with the ignition off, if you do a wipe/intermittent wipe, etc they'll move and park themselves in the upper most sweep position.

Perhaps on the early ones, but the facelift after 2003 had a normal key, one that pops out like a flickknife.

The central locking was on a button, remote boot opening was on a button too which looked pretty swanky.

In summary, after having one as our main family car for about 3 years, the key was fine.  However this does not represent a statistically significant sample size and if a very ordinary key puts you off a car, you'll be shitting bricks at the thought of the CANBUS.