Jag S-Type - first hand experiences?

smellypoo

So Dad has a Mondeo that I'm running around in while he's abroad for half a year (he's retired and loving it) but has given me permission to change it if I so wish.

I can't use it for work as cosmetically it's tattier than a raggy doll (wrong impression blah blah blah) but I do quite like using it for local running such as the supermarket or a tip run.

Been looking at cheap but plush alternatives and while I'm not overly keen on the looks, I know Dad likes the S Type, particularly the facelift. Most seem pretty well specced and the manual 2.7 dizzler variety looks interesting.

I just wanted to know the thoughts of the ASylum - I know it's a bit modern, while I might use it when he's not here it will be Dad's car. Any knowledge, recommendations or experience shared would be appreciated!

I don't think the S-Type rusts quite so readily as the X-Type, but I've read about suspension bits and pieces disintegrating to dust.

The diesel is supposed to be very good.

There are some right bargains around, even 2005 pre tax models are attractive money. The later ones are also supposed to be much more sorted, issues wise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I fancied a manual diesel, there were very few about, and the few there were had had the arse ragged out of 'em.  I gave up looking.  It also surprised me how many dealers had ticked the manual box for ebay/autotrader when the car was clearly an auto in the photos.

Early diesels (04 to mid 05) didn't have a dpf - apparently you can tell by the exhausts being turned downwards at the rear instead of straight.  The pre-facelift cars are more Lincoln LS - Jag got to do their own thing and completely revised the front cross member for the later cars (much improved handling according to the beards although the early one I test drove seemed fine) - the interior became much more Jaaaag at this point.

Later ones have the electric handbrake.

If I hadn't been put off by my X350, I'd probably consider one of these - but all the ones I've seen within striking distance are either fucked or staggeringly expensive for what they are.

I don't think the S-Type rusts quite so readily as the X-Type, but I've read about suspension bits and pieces disintegrating to dust.

The diesel is supposed to be very good.

There are some right bargains around, even 2005 pre tax models are attractive money. The later ones are also supposed to be much more sorted, issues wise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

http://autoshite.com/topic/21085-my-vehicular-activities/?p=1095229

I spent 4 hours welding sills up on an s type yesterday

I've got about another 4 hours today

Another thing that put me off was some of the DIY stuff - apparently you have to take the wipers off and remove some lump of plastic to change the air filter, and I saw some dire warnings about not changing the rear pads yourself due to the electric handbrake.  

If this was Pistonheads, someone would say "Well you should expect to budget eleventy million pounds a second to run such a marvellous premium car" but I don't/didn't.

Mrs N had a 3.0 petrol manual for 3 years, it was ultimate poverty spec white with cloth, and we both loved it.

At the same time I ran an e39 530d then a 320cdi CLS and the Jag always felt a bit more special to sit in and drive, sure it creaked and rattled and felt generally as if it had been thrown together by some disinterested Brummies using bits of cheap American plastic but it drove lovely. She ran it from 100 to just over 200,000 miles and only stopped using it because all of the usual suspects failed at the same time. The driver's window dropped into the door, the heater valve failed and it developed a misfire that was probably a coil pack , all within a week. I parked it up, intending to sort it and bought her a Freelander 2- that was nearly 5 years ago.

It went like fook, probably felt faster to me because I'm used to diesels , so the novelty of wringing a small high revving petrol right out in every gear was addictive.

I think Andythetyreman is who can tell you about the dizzlers.

Funnily enough the XF leaves me cold, I looked at one just before Christmas but bought an E Class instead. Maybe they're too accomplished, Jags should be a bit shonky, it's called character.

I'm on my second S type.

First was a 99T 3.0 petrol auto.

Nice car but had its share of problems, no ac, no heat, window regulators gone in rear doors. Wouldn't lock on fob but key worked.

Had it 6 months and only put a pair of Arb bushes on it.

Current one is an 06 2.7d manual with dpf.

Not had any problems apart from locking wheelnut issue, partly my fault.

Sills like brand new, all depends on where the car has been kept.

Good on fuel, 40 to 50+ depending on how it's driven.

Manual box is bulletproof and makes it a better driving experience.

There's some bargains to be had and although they are an expensive, executive car there's nothing to check anymore than on a "normal" car.

Mk1 has normal handbrake

Mk1,5 02-late 03 has a mix of old and new styles + epb.

Facelift 04 on is loads different.

Just find the best one in your budget and double check everything works.

I'm a Jaaaag fan. The S type does nothing for me. A friend had a 2.7 diseasel sport thing on an 07 plate, rare spec apparently as it had the 19" wheels, mesh grilles etc, but no CATS suspension.

I thought it was a horrible thing. Went quite well, but it got through lots of expensive suspension bits, injector seals and random electrical gubbins. It was grey and hideous inside.

Luckily it got stolen and written off, so the owner replaced it with an XF 3.0d.

Seriously, if you're after a Jaaaag get an XJ.

No first hand experience but the bloke I work alongside has one, X reg which cost him about a grand five years ago.   Apart from bodging up a rear exhaust mount and spending two Saturdays sorting out various central locking issues it has not, so far, caused him any grief.   He is pretty hands-on but also old school and a technophobe.   Seems to suit him (he spends most of his time buggering about with old scooters).    Not my cup of tea but I enjoyed blasting it around when he was after flogging it last year.   Not a recommendation but I reckon its shit loads better than the X Types I have encountered....

After a Mondeo, pretty much anything is going to seem nice.

I had a 3.0 auto S-type and it was lovely to drive. I heard a few rumours that the auto boxes like to self grenade after the 100k mark.

They're a million times nicer than the X-type, and I think are built on a Lincoln platform, so the stigma of being a Mondeo in a frock isn't there.

They do seem really cheap at the minute and I think the Jag snobs don't like them too much, so assuming all the electrics work, the gearbox is ok and the dashboard doesn't look like a game of Simon, you should go for it if the price is right.

Guest Breadvan72

I have had a 3 litre X type estate for six weeks and so far so good. It is fast and handles and grips well. Autobox may blunt it a bit but I liked the colour and spec and price so put up with auto. It needed a couple of suspension bits and I have also had the oil and transmission and transfer box fluids changed.

So far I would say it is a better car than the internetz suggest. The local garage who did the suspension and oil commented that they find X Types to be mostly ok. The AA man who was looking at my Dolomite's alternator at home the other day commented to similar effect when he noticed the X Type parked up.

It may be that the really shonky ones have died by now, so the ones now left are the less shonky, and may have been looked after, but I dunno. Maybe mine will explode any minute now.

I hear good things about the driving appeal of S Types but I don't like the looks and prefer estates anyway.

I had a brief flirtation with an S-Type last year. Mine was a manual pre 2000 3 litre so not much of my experience is relevant to the OP looking at a facelift diesel.

Mine drove well and sounded good with a decent turn of speed. Handling wise it was good fun if a little remote (as to be expected with this type of car to be fair) but could be chucked about more than you'd expect. Skinny tyres on mine "helped" with this

Mine had MOT advisories for a rusty rear subframe, that seems to kill a lot of them now. Other than that it was rot free. 

Inside mine felt very much like a big Ford-even the script on the dials was lifted straight from a Mondeo. 

Things like changing wipers is a pain-you need to remove the wiper arms to do this. 

Rear seats fold which is unusual on a big saloon.

See my thread for my thoughts at the time. Starts about half way down this page

http://autoshite.com/topic/24616-domes-shonky-autos-clio-182-timing-belt-change-some-progress/page-4

I'm a Jaaaag fan. The S type does nothing for me. A friend had a 2.7 diseasel sport thing on an 07 plate, rare spec apparently as it had the 19" wheels, mesh grilles etc, but no CATS suspension.

I thought it was a horrible thing. Went quite well, but it got through lots of expensive suspension bits, injector seals and random electrical gubbins. It was grey and hideous inside.

Luckily it got stolen and written off, so the owner replaced it with an XF 3.0d.

Seriously, if you're after a Jaaaag get an XJ.

Re: the XJ - I personally would prefer an XJ, but if with the size of the thing I think I'd cry when he inevitably giffers the thing - they look lovely when they're a nice well kept car. With the S Type I'm not so keen on the looks so if he ends up driving by touch rather than by sight, I don't think I'd mind as much. It might even give it a bit more character, perhaps like the MK2 in Withnail and I. Or maybe that will never happen.

The best S-Type advice would probably be to go for the cheapest newest moon on a stick you can possibly find.

This has spent a while winking at me from Autotrader's pages...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611099583698

A visit to the MOT site shows an 'oil leak from engine' the last two tests as an advisory and an engine light on in 2015.

Otherwise, relatively clean.

This dizzler appears to have already had all its suspension borkery done and dusted a couple of years ago, otherwise also very clean...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612170662842

The best S-Type advice would probably be to go for the cheapest newest moon on a stick you can possibly find.

This has spent a while winking at me from Autotrader's pages...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611099583698

A visit to the MOT site shows an 'oil leak from engine' the last two tests as an advisory and an engine light on in 2015.

Otherwise, relatively clean.

This dizzler appears to have already had all its suspension borkery done and dusted a couple of years ago, otherwise also very clean...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612170662842

I did notice that second one (the dizzler) the other day - might actually go and take a look at it, it's within 30 miles. The coffee & cream leather interior doesn't look that bad on the pics (both cars have the same!)

Saab 9-5? Aero of course.

Now those are nice, but I know Dad prefers the look of the Jag, as well as just the fact that it's a Jag. He's always driven Fords (he worked for them for over 30 years) and I think that if he were to buy another brand, it'd probably be a Jag. I know he thought about it when Ford still owned Jag and he could get an employee discount on them.