Tyre thread, quality ones for ditchfinder prices

forddeliveryboy

those remind me of the Colway M&S remolds that I bought for my 305.

I bought them for getting down rally stages because I used to do a bit of marshalling for my local motor sport club, but they did turn the 305 into an unstoppable beast in snow as well.  In fact they were so grippy that they made driving in snow a bit boring.

They also made a howling noise above 60mph.

I bought them through a used ad in a rally/motorsport mag and it was a hell of a job to get hold of the guy.  I remember that he finally called me back on my company desk phone when we were in the middle of a team meeting and I remember trying to do the deal and get details as discretely as possible, but got a huge bollocking off the boss over it.  I think he banned me from personal calls on the work phone for a week or something.

The tyres were totally worth the bollocking.

In my experience, Uniroyals use a particularly soft compound. Great for traction, rubbish for mileage.

Yes, I took them off in June they were wearing so fast and replaced with the original wider, lower cheapies which the present car arrived with and which were fine through mid-Summer. But they grip so hard in cold, damp and greasy conditions they're forgiven.

I've struggled to get more than 11k out of a set of them driving big dizzlers (Jag X-types and Mk 3 & 4 Mondeos) with FWD, mostly on country roads and A-roads.

I persevere with them though due to the wet weather grip. I had Goodyear Eagle F1s on my X-type when I bought it. In the wet the car under steered or felt plain spooky. Uniroyals made it corner like it was on rails no matter how wet the roads were. Dry weather grip is also good but probably due to their softness - hence the wear rate that results.

They're the best compromise I've found thus far for what I want out of a tyre though.

Glad it's not just me, though the nearside front tyre was in much better shape albeit still bald slightly to one side. They are gr8 whatever the weather, even managed fine in the SNOKAOS we had the other week, drove in the 'snow' flurry in the morning on my uni commute and had no big problems with traction apart from when I drove over some fresh snow and the car pulled to the left more than it usually does, probably should get that fixed but this car is going to get chopped in soon anyway.

Back in 1995-1998 when we owned a metro 1275 sport and dunlops were the only brand to do a metric 310 diameter tyre, and they were about £65 each, I once went to go to the local scrap yard and picked the 4 best (almost new) tyres with wheels already balanced, off a metro that looked to be in better condition than ours.  I could have picked about 20 tyres similar, and given that there was another scrap yard next door, I was able to haggle on the price £20 all in.   No worse than buying a second hand car with tyres of an indeterminate parentage.

I almost bought 4 metro turdo wheels for it as they were 13 inch, but the other scrap yard wanted too much IIRC (probably £50 for 4 wheels with fucked tyres).

Can anyone recommend any decent black round things that come in 195/50/15 flavour? I'm tyre shopping for my sister's modern Fiesta ('11) and all I cna find is winters and sporty sounding bollocks (unless that's par for the course in this size).

Can anyone recommend any decent black round things that come in 195/50/15 flavour? I'm tyre shopping for my sister's modern Fiesta ('11) and all I cna find is winters and sporty sounding bollocks (unless that's par for the course in this size).

Check Blackcircles. Goodyears for £51 a corner fitted at my local place.

Check out the balancing needed on my remoulds:

15995187_10154677938062745_8079220701931

Look like the same tread I had on my Disco, mine were Conway? Machos.

Excellent tyres I thought, gripped everywhere without flinging mud about & quiet enough on the road.

Check Blackcircles. Goodyears for £51 a corner fitted at my local place.

From the ten or so I've managed to gather it's looking like the Goodyear Effecient Grip Compact is going to win again. They're what I settled on for my own car and they've been excellent, except they're ten quid cheaper fitted on my car *smugface*