Tyre thread, quality ones for ditchfinder prices

forddeliveryboy

I have posted this before, I think, and I will post it again here.

www.tyrecomp.co.uk

is a decent price comparison site.

Generally I search for Toyo proxes, Falken Zeix and Uniroyal Rainsports. Occasionally, looking at the option for all leading brands can turn up a good brand on promo somewhere.

The goodyears for my Mercedes look like a good price at pneus online at £83.82 for two. But a friend has just paid feltham tyres £20 each for fitting and balancing. So that's another £40 which puts the etyres £133.60 only £10 more without the hassle.

The goodyears for my Mercedes look like a good price at pneus online at £83.82 for two. But a friend has just paid feltham tyres £20 each for fitting and balancing. So that's another £40 which puts the etyres £133.60 only £10 more without the hassle.

Fitting does vary, in fact I posted a thread once asking what people paid for fitting as I thought £10 a tyre was steep.

Turns out most pay £10-15 a tyre, I now pay £7 a tyre for fitting which isn't bad at all, but I am in the North.

I found a pair of good part worns in the woods a while ago and sold them on for £30.

I'd like to fit bigger wheels to my van, I think new tyres are the way to go. Would I need quite low profile tyres going from 14s to 15s?

Haha! Someone had asked me to sort a set of winter wheels for their Renault, couldn't find a set of local sh rims anywhere for the new tyres until someone dumped a set at the side the road.

What size 14" tyres are on the van?

I always buy new and would not entertain part worns, would rather have new and happy to pay the little extra. Cheaper than excess and loss of no claims on insurance!

goodyear efficient grips have been excellent for me, cheap enough, quiet and grippy. Prior to that ran conti sport contacts.

http://www.partworn-tyres.co.uk/?qards_page=part-worn-tyres

175/65/14

Just picked up 3 part worn 175/65/14s off Gumtree (a matching pair of Kumhos for the front of the Carina, one for the NSF on the Getz), plus a 185/55/15 for the Rover, all with >5mm tread, for 30 quid the lot.  Probably not a lot of help to you though, what with you living nearly at the North Pole and all.

175/65/14

If you're keeping the gearbox and bolting a turbo-d to it then I suppose some gearing up is not a bad thing, but there's a danger of pulling away from junctions quickly being hard on the clutch. In which case it's the size of the arches. 175-60-15s are a close match and popular enough for prices not to be daft, not sure if many of them are rated for heavier axle loads. Might be worth getting out a tape measure for 185-65-15s and then doing the maths for gearing.

Just picked up 3 part worn 175/65/14s off Gumtree (a matching pair of Kumhos for the front of the Carina, one for the NSF on the Getz), plus a 185/55/15 for the Rover, all with >5mm tread, for 30 quid the lot.  Probably not a lot of help to you though, what with you living nearly at the North Pole and all.

what happened to the 4th tyre? :)

If you're keeping the gearbox and bolting a turbo-d to it then I suppose some gearing up is not a bad thing, but there's a danger of pulling away from junctions quickly being hard on the clutch. In which case it's the size of the arches. 175-60-15s are a close match and popular enough for prices not to be daft, not sure if many of them are rated for heavier axle loads. Might be worth getting out a tape measure for 185-65-15s and then doing the maths for gearing.

Think 185/65 15 might be the standard size for stock 15 inch alloys on newer ones.

I will buy part worns if they are still on the rims and are virtually as new, a quality brand and 20 quid a pop, or 1/3 of new price. Then it makes sense.  But I bought four Goodyears for my E36, @190 fitted and balanced.

Damage/punctures aside, that's the next 3 years of motoring sorted. Is it really worth trying to save a few quid? I'd only put 'legal' part works on something I was going to sell.

It's getting the Turbo-D gearbox as well. I'm worried about grip (my 405 TD estate was skittish on 175/65/14s and didn't have a modified pump) and I think it'll look cool on slightly bigger steel wheels with centre caps.

Maybe a set of decent quality 185/65/14s for a little extra width would see it right. Not sure load ratings matter too much - the van's payload isn't much.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nexen/n-priz-4s/185-65-r14-86t-368280

Cheap!

It's getting the Turbo-D gearbox as well. I'm worried about grip (my 405 TD estate was skittish on 175/65/14s and didn't have a modified pump) and I think it'll look cool on slightly bigger steel wheels with centre caps.

Maybe a set of decent quality 185/65/14s for a little extra width would see it right. Not sure load ratings matter too much - the van's payload isn't much.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nexen/n-priz-4s/185-65-r14-86t-368280

Cheap!

There was one in Rochdale, but I hear it was nicked!

I will buy part worns if they are still on the rims and are virtually as new, a quality brand and 20 quid a pop, or 1/3 of new price. Then it makes sense.  But I bought four Goodyears for my E36, @190 fitted and balanced.

Damage/punctures aside, that's the next 3 years of motoring sorted. Is it really worth trying to save a few quid? I'd only put 'legal' part works on something I was going to sell.

When I got new tyres for my Accord, I considered going down the part worn route, purely because it hadn't yet proved its worth to me.

I was looking at £20-£30 a corner for a branded part worn. Then depending on where you go, you're looking at a tenner a corner to have them fitted.

Instead I got brand new Khumos, for £50 a corner fully fitted. As you said, unless you're selling a car it really doesn't make that much sense.

I just spent nearly £400 on a new set of Goodyear for the Shaguar. My griff is I can't find anyone to do the tracking for under £60 so have had to stump up for that too. Its a right pain in the arse. When did that get so pricey and why? I have never paid over £30 before and I felt like a bit of a mug paying that.

Bunch of arse.

I just spent nearly £400 on a new set of Goodyear for the Shaguar. My griff is I can't find anyone to do the tracking for under £60 so have had to stump up for that too. Its a right pain in the arse. When did that get so pricey and why? I have never paid over £30 before and I felt like a bit of a mug paying that.

Bunch of arse.

It's because most places do "4 wheel alignment" and charge accordingly whether your car has adjustable camber/toe/etc front and rear or not.

Don't know if there's a Wilko motorsave near you but the one in Hudds does normal tracking for £25.

I just bought a pair of 205/55x16 Continentals, 7-8 mm tread and £42 the pair. They're 2016 dated and are as new. Bloke's fitted all season rubber to his 2016 Skoda, car was parked on the drive.

THAT'S TYRE VALUE FOLKS.

You could've had 4 including the wheels fro £100 from me -

http://autoshite.com/topic/24314-tyaz-and-wheelz/

But nobody wants 'em

I paid £87 a pair a week ago for some new Barums. It's ok chancing on a deal but when you need some tyres you need them.

Best deal I ever got were some Ford Allloys with a variety of cack makes on for £40. Ran through the winter in them and sold them on, with shagged out tyres on for £60 the following May. Beat that!!!! 😀

Barums seem to be good tyres, my old folks' S1 V70 TDi has a pair on the front - they were practically new when the car was bought 20k ago and are still showing 5mm, but grip hard in the wet and dry, hot and cold. I even took it for a quick trial on a remote snowy carpark this afternoon because inquisitive, and was surprised. Mebbe the mass of the Audi 5 and Jap auto but they did well, like the Pirellis on the back. 

The car's destined to wear some 195-65-15s instead of the 60 profile teeth-rattlers which they came with as standard - I'm sure the 850 was set up on the Nurburgring by a small team of crazy Germans who wanted to see the reaction of Volvo man when encountering a car with less spring travel than a secret new breed of Aldi (as was in early 90s). It seems like it will be a while yet, the Pirellis were also newish. What a contrast with VWSeatSkoda which seem to wear tyres out for fun.