COLLECTED: Rover 75 (Dealer 'Launch' Spec)

BorniteIdentity

Any documents stating that?

Would be good to put the myth to bed once and for all.

I know the one about the Steyr built BMW diesel engine being built in the same factory as BMW's M47 but none going into BMWs in R75 specification etc etc so calling it a 'BMW engine' is a bit of a stretch.

I've spent too long on AROnline, basically.

No but they're entirely different proportions.

BMW did work on the floor plan before handing it over to Rover as they decided it wasn't something they would use. The MINI (again most engineering done by Rover boffins) has a similar "transmission tunnel" and that isn't a BMW floor plan either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No but they're entirely different proportions.

BMW did work on the floor plan before handing it over to Rover as they decided it wasn't something they would use. The MINI (again most engineering done by Rover boffins) has a similar "transmission tunnel" and that isn't a BMW floor plan either.

Yeah - I've heard differing accounts about whether that central spar was a strengthening ridge or a redundant transmission tunnel, hence why I asked. 

I knew the R50 was mostly Rover/Ricardo; that white pre production shell that appeared on a dolly a few years back attested that much. 

Rover would have fucked the R50 up by sticking a K series in it, so thank heavens for small mercies. 

Well..........like many others one here I need to come out.......I have been looking at these on and off for a while and this thread has convinced me I NEED one. I was even prompted to message the seller of a too expensive one........only to find he had sold it

If anyone notices a dark green (or red) 2.5 auto with cream leather it would be ideal........

Lovely car Mr Bourne

Thanks Man.

I'm working in Kettering at the moment (Don't hold it against me) so when the evenings get a bit lighter I can always swing past and let you have a smoke?

I too have been looking at these for a while, can I ask an SFQ of the collective.

Would a V6 (either flavour) tourer, be able to replace my X-308 and my Scirocco?

Does it possess similar ride quality and silence of the Jaguar whilst still being capable of having a non destructive dog in the back on occasion?

I went straight from 75 to XJ6 (X300 Sport); they're quite different machines so I reckon you'll need to try one.  The Jag has more sense of occasion, but feels quite dated against the 75 (which was bang-up-to-date technically despite the retro looks).

I went straight from 75 to XJ6 (X300 Sport); they're quite different machines so I reckon you'll need to try one.  The Jag has more sense of occasion, but feels quite dated against the 75 (which was bang-up-to-date technically despite the retro looks).

Wow, my X-308 is the first car I've ever owned with airbags/hi level brake light/climate control/remote plipper thing.

If a 75 is more modern than that, I think my head will explode!

My launch car rides just as well as the aforementioned jags.

Having been in both there was no difference but that was after a suspension overhaul when I got the car.

Also mine is whisper silent untill you rev it then you get the nice of the engine lovely. The later ones are more noisy due to thinner carpets etc

My launch car rides just as well as the aforementioned jags.

Having been in both there was no difference but that was after a suspension overhaul when I got the car.

Also mine is whisper silent untill you rev it then you get the nice of the engine lovely. The later ones are more noisy due to thinner carpets etc

Even a well sorted 75 I'd a very different beast to a large Jag. The jags are more refined without a doubt.

75s do have a noisy ride from the suspension. I've never been in one that hasn't been. Mine has had a full suspension overhaul this year & is the same as every other 75 I've driven - even when new.

Even a well sorted 75 I'd a very different beast to a large Jag. The jags are more refined without a doubt.

75s do have a noisy ride from the suspension. I've never been in one that hasn't been. Mine has had a full suspension overhaul this year & is the same as every other 75 I've driven - even when new.

Really my launch car is the quietest 75 I have been in and the ride is so supple.

We are going to have to agree to disagree I'm afraid I've been a passenger in many a jag and driven quite a few to sat either my 75 is a goodun ( which it is ) or all the jags have been duds

I think it's fair to say the earlier 75's were a bit better in every way. My random sample of owning one of each confirms this.

Undoubtedly.

And they do ride very well - definitely best in class at the time. But the contemporary XJ was leagues ahead. On the owners club you even get people claiming they better than a rolls Royce.

I get that people love their cars - hell I wouldn't have anything other than a 75 - but I won't deny their foibles.

Of which, thunking down potholes is a definite!

I would just like to say this thread is now responsible for me browsing rover 75s- mainly early saloons or early estates and obsessing over them. There's a 52 plate black LWB saloon on e bay that looks teh sex, I had no idea that such vehicles existed. One of 200 so the ad says. Phwarrr! I'm trying to convince myself that the extra space in the back makes it the perfect* family car.....

I would just like to say this thread is now responsible for me browsing rover 75s- mainly early saloons or early estates and obsessing over them. There's a 52 plate black LWB saloon on e bay that looks teh sex, I had no idea that such vehicles existed. One of 200 so the ad says. Phwarrr! I'm trying to convince myself that the extra space in the back makes it the perfect* family car.....

I can't find it or I would buy it from under your nose and flaunt it!

I can't find it or I would buy it from under your nose and flaunt it!

There was a LimOMG being advertised which was pimp AF but sold. Not seen another.

There was an epic one being hawked 2 years ago. Army green. Owned by the Royal Ulster Constabulary (as was). From memory it had quite a few mods for life in Norn Iron.

9b0feba557ee10741832a758f890e145.jpg

Wasn't even joking. (!)

That isn't great, but I think I win in the ruined Rover key stakes.

The spare one was in even worse condition, but I bought two new fobs off eBay for less than £5 and switched all of the bits over, which took about an hour (excluding when I had to take one to the local shoe repair place as I couldn't get the key out of it).

However, despite the slight hiccup, I ended up with 2 perfect keys for less than £5.

If you need any information on doing it, don't hesitate in sending me a PM.

Edit: I cocked up adding the photos, here they are.

Before post-20228-0-65473900-1484344513_thumb.jpg

After post-20228-0-61890800-1484344585_thumb.jpg

I just missed a nice one on Gumtree......nice spec, good MoT history and only 45k (possibly too low) for £850

Also watching a nice one owner car in burgundy on eBay which is sat around the £500 mark but somehow it does not 'wow' me......so for anyone thinking about it. It's done about 100k and has all history from new with nice mot history....

I just missed a nice one on Gumtree......nice spec, good MoT history and only 45k (possibly too low) for £850

Also watching a nice one owner car in burgundy on eBay which is sat around the £500 mark but somehow it does not 'wow' me......so for anyone thinking about it. It's done about 100k and has all history from new with nice mot history....

I'm being very tempted by that one. Assuming it's in fleet.

I'm being very tempted by that one. Assuming it's in fleet.

That's the one...I exchanged a few messages before realising I really should wait for exactly what I want.

The one in Fleet has arisen because the original owner has retired from driving and so car is being sold. It appears to be great value.

That's the one...I exchanged a few messages before realising I really should wait for exactly what I want.

The one in Fleet has arisen because the original owner has retired from driving and so car is being sold. It appears to be great value.

You're not helping.

Insurance would be a slight saving over the situation diesel too....

Argh.