COLLECTED: Rover 75 (Dealer 'Launch' Spec)

BorniteIdentity

Looking at the link on Tam's post, there are a group of people even more smitten with the 75.

Apparently one of them owns the" Midsomer Murders Car" which must be worth as much as Regan's Consul, Bodie's RS2000 and the feckin Batmobile put together, or not.

But it made me wonder about any 75 celebrity connections.

I'll start the ball rolling , I once saw The Countess of Wessex driving a 75 into the Quadrangle in Buckingham Palace. I was opening the boot and bonnet for searching and had to have my passport inspected, she just whizzed past with a little wave. Seems 75's are more prestigeous than Arnages.

post-17414-0-19531600-1484510908_thumb.jpeg

Just found this , is it a pre-production . Don't think it was this one, I'm sure it was a Wedgewood Tourer. ( Would , by the way. Not a 75 either)

Checked levels for the first time this morning.  (Embarrassingly, I just didn't have time or daylight last week)

• Oil is good.  Only 2000 miles old but 18 months in there and it's quite oily.  I'll be getting that out at some stage soon.
  • Coolant is low.  Annoying really, as I've no way of telling if it's gone down or has been low for ages.  I've bought some new OAT and will monitor.

Obviously I'm soiling myself over HGF prospects, despite it being very rare in the V6 cars.  I think it's just expense that I'm allergic to.

(!)

Checked levels for the first time this morning. (Embarrassingly, I just didn't have time or daylight last week)

• Oil is good. Only 2000 miles old but 18 months in there and it's quite oily. I'll be getting that out at some stage soon.
  • Coolant is low. Annoying really, as I've no way of telling if it's gone down or has been low for ages. I've bought some new OAT and will monitor.
Obviously I'm soiling myself over HGF prospects, despite it being very rare in the V6 cars. I think it's just expense that I'm allergic to.

(!)

Wouldn't worry overly about the coolant. May well need a new thermostat though as the housing becomes brittle and cracks - hence lose water!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It'll be fine...  Mine took quite alot of water when I bought it, and the old boy used to carry water in the boot so  did start thinking HGF, but it was fine, I had the thermostat housing done, now it requires a small top up every month or so, but only a slight weep from one of the coolant rails.

Have you checked the fan works?  Carried out the demist test?

Yes, the engine cooling fan. It should have the old 3-speed unit on there unless its been upgraded to the 2-speed gold resister mod at some point.

What happens is the copper brushes wear down inside the unit so you lose the lower two speeds hence leaving you with just the high speed fan that kicks in after 120oC which is abit too late!

The demist test checks you have a lower fan speed which kicks in after around 96oC 

Start the car and from cold and press the demist button (with aircon off) you should see the fan operating in lower speed.

Also, run the car using the onboard diagnostic temp mode, ignore the actual temperature gauge on these cars, they are heavily dampered and stay in the middle in nearly all conditions  i.e. Useless! 

Want to know how to know the 'actual' coolant temperature??

Step 1.  Press and hold in the mileage trip reset button until the screen clears....(after about 10 seconds)

hqdefault.jpg

Step 2.  Press the button in '19' times until you get to number 19 on the screen...

Step 3.  You will then see it flash up ON / OFF and so on and repeated every few seconds, with 'OFF' displayed press the button in once only...

Step 4.  Then repeat step 2 by pressing the button 7 times until you get to '7.0'

You will now see your coolant temp displayed like below, where this car is at 76oc

hqdefault.jpg

The stuff above is really useful and IMO something all 75ers should be made aware of.

Number "9" is battery voltage which can be useful too!

Also if you want to use this without resetting the trip counter, press the button in before you turn the ignition on :)

Thanks so much mate. I will check the coolant tempt next time I'm driving the car. Sadly the fan doesn't work on low speed, so it's going to need attention.

Is it DIY or best to get someone who knows the cars to do it?

Get it tested properly first, ideally by a Rover friendly garage with a T4 or some decent diagnostic kit.   It is probably worn brushes in the fan but sometimes it can be a sender unit fault that tells the fan when to come on.

i.e. My 75 is odd because the demist test works 'But' the fan does not kick in when it should i.e. at 100oC. Your Rover does not always need the fan so this is fine for normal driving but if I do ever hit traffic and using the on board digital temp gauge I stick the fan on if it goes past 96oc, How do I do that??  Basically by triggering the air con on 'LO' and with 'econ' off triggers the fan to spin, hey presto, temp soon comes back down again in no time.  

Not ideal I know, but fan replacement with all the gubbins is a front bumper off job.

Don't worry, I have a list of jobs to get done on mine somewhere and it looks like a new loo roll, the fan replacement is on there somewhere near the top!!