VW 6-cylinder diesels

Milford Cubicle

My 940 TD had done around that mileage and that drove down to my parents' place in southeast France without missing a beat. It then survived being thrashed back to Calais at 90+ laden to the gunwales with crap and with a boat on a trailer behind it. The engines are pretty much unburstable as long as they've been looked after. They do occasionally blow head gaskets but then so do most engines - I don't think these are any worse than any other engine. Heads aren't too bad - it's the later 5-pot VW diesels that used to crack heads at the drop of a hat. As long as you change the cambelt occasionally and check the oil level frequently (they do tend to use a bit at high mileage) you should be fine. I actually had an LT35 van with the non-turbo'd version of that engine which had done 313,000 miles, and van engines tend to be thrashed mercilessly. They are a great engine IMHO - lovely noise for a diesel and more than adequately powerful to drag a Volvo estate around. They tend to fetch pretty good money on the Bay - mine was bought from the local rag for £300, then sold on the Bay to a chap in Yorkshire for £460 after I'd cashed in the 7 months' tax. Is that 740 on eBay?

Any good? if it's done that many miles it should be good for a few more, right? :oops:

A big unstressed oil belcher like that should be capable of Starship mileage, I used to work in a VW main dealers back in the late 80's when the LT range had these engines, and can't recall any issues. I should think the main cause for concerns are overheating/head gasket, and cambelt. They do sound great these 8)

Yeah, it's on eBay, local-ish and 99 notes no reserve. Would be silly not to chuck a bid or two in, as it's a bit of a 'dream car' (shame it's a slushmatic). :lol:Do you know how much power these have? I've only found info for the n/a engine.

I seem to recall they were 109-112bhp in the 740, and 120 in the later 940 with an intercooler. The autos aren't actually that bad - my first 760TD (also with over 300K on the clock) was an auto and it wasn't too bad at all. In fact when I went down with a trailer to collect it (the seller had described it rather pessimistically) I ended up slinging my Saab on the trailer and towing it home behind the Volvo to save fuel. Yes, I'd say you'd be daft not to have a punt at that money - if it's got a half decent MoT on it it's got to be worth 250-300 squid.

Diesel wagons of any description are making strong money at the moment - so I hope you snag a bargain (time of year might help). I've had an eye or two on more 405 wagonzzz y'see - a 197k 92/K STDT (top-range, just lacking A/C and leather) with a week's MOT and coolant-retention issues (which I was hoping could be solved by a good bleeding, but could of course have been a shagged head gasket) went for £165 last night - madness!I reckon a decent 740TD wagon could be a car for life, more or less. They never rust and if the dizzler is as long-lived as the 4-pot petrol lump, you're laughing.