Bramz car related stuff, impulse buyer alert....

bramz7

So, whats happened?

AX gone. I miss it already, it was nippy (enough) and could drive through any small spaces, I am sure the new owner will look after it though. Plenty of life left in that thing.

impulse buy 405 gone too. Why? Because I impulse bought something else too! I hope you enjoy your new wagon loserone.

So at current, the fleet situation is:

35139368885_2d8f03c58c_b.jpgMy 1992 Citroen ZX Aura TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

34752753290_6ba10c1783_b.jpgMy 1992 Citroen ZX Aura TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

34329336773_08ecf88c6e_b.jpgMy 1992 Citroen ZX Aura TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

This POS is really growing on me. I think the last MOT was hooky as the inner wings are shot to bits. And the PAS pump whines like a poked cat. Still, goes like shit off a shovel if you boot it. I was once told that a NA XUD and turbo ones are very similar. 

RONG. Completely different power bands in my opinion. 

I missed the seemingly infinite grip and oddly soft ride on the ZX. Think I'll stick with them, I bought 6 bloody cars since my last one and I still ended up back.

34298629834_5644a836f6_b.jpgMy 1993 Citroen BX19 TXD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

BX awaiting its end of month service and cambelt, as well as new rear arm bearings... gonna sting a bit I suspect but best to get it done.

loved driving my friends mums bx's, red e reg, navy bluey/purple L reg both diesels, and stopped on a six pence

I'll never forget the guy I bought the BX off of showcasing the brakes during a test drive/slamming on them at 40 down a residential road...

• 4 weeks later...

So, I think I've had enough of buying cars impulsively all the time, I also got sick of buying permanently broken stuff. So after the BX failed an MOT on an exhaust leak, self levelling valve leak and another LHM leak, I gave up on it. I don't have the money or time to fix it up, so arranged with the seller of a car on eBay a swap and cash payment for what he had. He accepted! 

I bought it as a present for my other half as she always loved the AX, and even I missed it when it went. AXs seem to be on the up value wise, and I am beginning to see some 205 level disproportionate pricing starting, with decent ones going from £200 all the way up to £1500 plus. Three doors in particular are still hot property for modders. 

I always fancied a phase one, there was a cheap 14 TGE for sale in Scotlandland recently for £200, however the dashboard was a literal mess and looked like someone had gone at it with a hammer. And the lacquer had stripped everywhere. 

This one popped up on eBay a few times and I was amazed it didn't sell. So, here we are, here's the most expensive car I've ever bought. 

34862581193_78b799d6bf_b.jpgMy 1991 Citroen AX 11 TZX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

35671728105_df75f46cb3_b.jpgMy 1991 Citroen AX 11 TZX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

34830629794_9b36edc4b2_b.jpgTZX AX Interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

35671723565_78d6ae8ba9_b.jpgAX TZX interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

34830628184_c42bf4d2bf_b.jpgAX TZX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Its not perfect, it's had some paint at some stage and there is various marks on it, but I am very pleased with it. So much work done recently, new clutch, timing belt, water pump, tyres, coolant, brake fluid, and a whole years MOT.

I drove the BX up to Toddington services and we did a swap there. The guy is a proper shiter, I am surprised he hasn't appeared on here. It drove back perfectly, having a 5 speed in an AX is odd but better suited to motorways. 

It does need a new drivers side window motor (electric windows in an AX?!?!?) and it was once a Cat C, but it doesn't show. May take this to the CCC show.

I'm also picking up a new daily this coming weekend, which should be interesting.

I left a note on this AX a few weeks back, quite keen the owner sells it to me as it's apparently a rare one....

6484165475_1d1ce8ea40_b.jpg1988 Citroen AX 'En Vogue'. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

I am really liking the AX you sold me - it's the polar opposite of my Saab, but I instantly take the keys to the AX when I have to pop out somewhere local.

I'll keep my eyes open for one with a bit more power for when the weather gets bad to substitute as a bike for my 120 mile daily commute. I'm too old to stay bloody cold.

I am really liking the AX you sold me - it's the polar opposite of my Saab, but I instantly take the keys to the AX when I have to pop out somewhere local.

I'll keep my eyes open for one with a bit more power for when the weather gets bad to substitute as a bike for my 120 mile daily commute. I'm too old to stay bloody cold.

Glad you're still liking it. I'd recommend the 1.1 as it seems quite peppy, indeed it pulls up steep hills oddly well.

Keep it until the winter though. The heater on that little car was insanely strong.

Any plans to get the correct colour coded bumpers back on the AX?

Just wondering like.  I rather like the grey look (as y'all know by now!)

I think the chrome grille (which was TZX specific) works better with black bumpers. It's original enough elsewhere for that not to be a concern.

There's literally tons of storage in this car. If I went to buy a baguette or three, wine and cheese, I could hide it all in the dashboard and door cards.

• 2 weeks later...

So, much has happened, as ever, since the last update. AX hopefully off to the CCC show this weekend if I can get insurance, sadly it sprung a weird leak in a drainage hole the other day, and the floor is still drying. 

But in terms of daily, what a busy 7 days. I bought a rough Xantia from the FCF as the owner was having issues getting rid, he said it only had cold starting issues. Turns out it had any temperature starting issues, and then refused to charge. Many people said it could be the battery (unlikely), Alternator or wiring. Sadly the latter was likely as it had various attempted thefts and I think the last one proper fucked it. Also it had dents all over it, bleached paint, non working doors, broken locks, suspension bouncing like no tomorrow. Basically, as broken as a Xantia can be. 

Happily, I picked this one up yesterday:

35784228021_403992134d_b.jpg1997 Citroen Xantia TD Temptation. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

35076212834_a56b58c0c7_b.jpg1997 Citroen Xantia TD Temptation. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

It's lovely. Like I can't actually see myself wanting to drive anything else. 

Some more shots of the pair together.

35076214264_7e34c1f626_b.jpgXantias. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

35784229211_faff89c199_b.jpgXantias. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

35528035620_b3fecb0156_b.jpgXantias. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Red one is off for scrap tomorrow. Already pillaged many bits for the better one. 

I remember seeing that red one on the FCF at about the time I was thinking of getting rid of mine. I would say well done for saving it but...

It's a piece of shit sadly. It wouldn't have been such an issue had I known it had issues starting all the time ( I wouldn't have bothered in which case).

Oh and 1.9D Xantias are really slow. The only redeeming feature is the amazing gear change. 

So yeah, looking at your other one maybe I need to revisit my concept of scruffy.

Before you sack off the red one, and assuming sinker / non-sinker dashes are the same, you might want to see if you can get the fuel gauge out. When I looked in to it before, consensus was it was a problem at the dash end rather than the tank sender.

By the way, his name is Bernard.

As much as I love a dirty diesel BX, the Xantia does feel like the natural home for the XUDT. It's just a bit heavier, a bit better insulated, a bit less rattly and on a good run the engine feels almost (whisper it) refined.

I still don't love the way they handle, but the ride is better than anything else I've driven. Love the colour of this one (nasty velour interior less so). I would be getting that red grille sprayed gold for the Ultimate Look asap

As much as I love a dirty diesel BX, the Xantia does feel like the natural home for the XUDT. It's just a bit heavier, a bit better insulated, a bit less rattly and on a good run the engine feels almost (whisper it) refined.

I still don't love the way they handle, but the ride is better than anything else I've driven. Love the colour of this one (nasty velour interior less so). I would be getting that red grille sprayed gold for the Ultimate Look asap

It's oddly quiet for a XUD, you almost forget it's there given how insulated it is. 

I did keep the earlier grille, and have thought about getting it sprayed....it would look quite good I suspect. 

Possibly will be at the CCC show today with the Xantia as complete no go with the AX, no insurer wants to give me time of day for another month so w/e.

Has anyone ever attempted to put the XM moon disc trims onto a Xantia before? Or are the 5 studs on the trims specifically to go over the 5 stud wheels? 

In other news, I think the fuel gauge started working this morning.

That's bloody spooky as about 15 years ago I had a diesel xantia in burgundy and my father at the same time had one in JRG

His was a 2 litre petrol while mine was a low mileage diesel.

They are fantastic motors and seriously underrated

I keep thinking about getting a new daily (old habits die hard yo) but every time I sit in the Xantia and drive it, it runs superb. Need to get that wheel bearing sorted though. It doesn't wobble when I pull at the wheel I think its attached to, but I suppose that doesn't mean jack in the scheme of things. Xantia is a keeper 100%.

Also, I debuted my other car at the FOTU yesterday. 

35711915780_a331b5fd3e_b.jpg1991 Fiat Tipo DGT SX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

This one popped up on gumtree just over a month back, £295 for a one owner 42k Tipo. I almost bit the sellers hand off asking to leave for a deposit. 

It drives very well. Needs a few new bits but it's great. And pretty quick. 

Possibly getting car 4 soon, as I have a new job in the near future (more money) and I semi promised myself something. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Xantia only went and passed an MOT with no advisories at all. Bit of a concern regarding a bearing somewhere which is making noise, but the garage said to let them know if it gets worse as they don't think it's a wheel bearing, likely a driveshaft instead.

Also, did a bad thing and agreed a purchase on this....post-20043-0-96402000-1501664314_thumb.jpg

Only done 50k! It was quite cheap considering, it's also solid as a rock. Does need a clutch cable adjustment and a new accumulater sphere but otherwise, it's fine.

That was my treat for getting the job I went for. At least that's what I'm going with.

4 cars is quite a lot though, and I may have to offload something in the near future.

It's oddly quiet for a XUD, you almost forget it's there given how insulated it is. 

I did keep the earlier grille, and have thought about getting it sprayed....it would look quite good I suspect. 

Possibly will be at the CCC show today with the Xantia as complete no go with the AX, no insurer wants to give me time of day for another month so w/e.

Has anyone ever attempted to put the XM moon disc trims onto a Xantia before? Or are the 5 studs on the trims specifically to go over the 5 stud wheels? 

In other news, I think the fuel gauge started working this morning.

Reckon the original wheels are fantastic - would leave them on

Already promised another shiter dibs on it sadly, but if that changes I'll let you know.

Yeah the Tipo is nice right? Sadly if fleet reduction occurs it'll have to go first...I'll try my utmost to avoid that of course. Nearly lost it on a roundabout on the day of FOTU as it was a bit greasy! A quick flick out and it was fine.