Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:30 PM
Going through those in the order posted:
- Appleyard Western Road Kilmarnock became Arnold Clark Rover in the mid 80s and is now Arnold Clark Peugeot/Toyota
- Appleyard Holmston Road Ayr was taken over by Parks Motor Group in the late 90s and moved to 100 Heathfield Road Ayr.
- Overburn Citroen lost the franchise when Arnie replaced Austin Rover with Citroen at 92 Glasgow Road in Paisley, Overburn remained in business as an FSO dealer in the 90s then a used car dealer, their showroom is now a hairdressers and a Morrisons petrol station but they still run a garage from the site.
- Murray field Volvo was JM Group owned even then and is now based at Bankhead Drive Sighthill.
- Andrew Brown Toyota Hamilton was taken over by Parks Motor Group and became a Daihatsu and Mazda dealer before moving to Parks place at East Kilbride in 1998, both franchises now dropped. Keith Street closed down at that point.
- David W Reid Saab Falkirk was taken over by Taggarts in the late 80s and closed in 1991 when the recession hit and Taggarts slimmed down.
- J K Millar Renault Greenock became Bass Rock Renault and then closed down, sill sells used cars as a company called Maurice McMillan Motors.
- Newlands Renault Grangemouth became Priory and then Arnold Clark, still a Renault dealer today.
- Dalblair Hyundai and Subaru were better known for their Ford dealership in Ayr and were owned by Stan Gauls who ran Gaulds the Rolls Royce/Bentley/Volvo/Range Rover and Land Rover dealerships in Mosspark and then Garscube Road in Glasgow, taken over by Arnie in 2000, Subaru/Hyundai showroom long since closed and became a Jap import dealer called Great Western Motor Co.
- Hayston Garage still exist as a used car dealer, they were for a time a Morgan franchise in the late 90s.
- J & W Scott Vauxhall Kilmarnock closed early 90s after AFG lost Nissan franchise and took on Vauxhall in Kilmarnock, part of their building including signs was still there a couple of years ago.
- Halleys of Milngavie lost Vauxhall sales in 2003 but kept the rest of the Vauxhall franchise, went on to sell Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki and Daihatsu and then in 2009 got a Ford franchise, took over by Arnie in 2012.
- Lylesland Vauxhall Paisley is now flats as Arnie opening a Vauxhall dealership at the old Hillman Imp factory in Linwood in 1992 killed them off.
- Woods West Calder were stripped of the Vauxhall franchise in 2015 when Arnie had a fallout with Nissan and put the Vauxhall franchise in their Carmondean Livingston showroom, they ended up taking over Woods anyway and ended up keeping a Vauxhall after Sales franchise and new cars sourced from Livingston.
- David Morrison Falkirk went to Rover, Subaru, Isuzu, Seat and Nissan and then went bust, Ian Grieve took over the site in 2005 and kept Subaru and Isuzu, added Suzuki and Jeep.
- Church Peugeot Greenock moved to 21 Eldon Street Greenock and ceased trading in late 2002 as they couldn't compete any longer.
- RJ Cross were still selling used cars at the side of the petrol station as you enter Coatbridge from Bargeddie a few years ago.
- James Dodds Ford Troon were later selling used cars in the mid 90s under the name "Jas & Wm Dodds Car Sales" now gone I think.
- Strathford Dumbarton became an Arnold Clark Renault dealership in the late 90s.
- Walter D Watt was a Proton, Daihatsu and then Suzuki dealer until a couple of years ago when taken over by the Dundee Honda dealer (West End Garage I think) and recently moved to the old Autoecosse premises at Monifieth Road.
- Thomson of Beith lasted until early 2008 when taken over by Sri Lankan's who closed the Ford business and kept open the on site petrol station, a car valet Place set up in the forecourt, now gone, someone uses their workshops as a garage now.
- Jones & McComb Honda I could be wrong but I think it later became Arnold Clark Fiat who then moved to Mitchelston Estate and Arnie out a Seat franchise there which lasted till around 2000 then closed.
- Crawford Fiat Falkirk I think became Arnold Clark Fiat at Falkirk Road, Earlsgate which it still is.
- Peter Holmes disappeared when AFG started up I think.
- J & A Browning Fiat still there but no franchise now.
- Alex Hardie Austin Rover Larbert I think changed to Peugeot and still there but called Hardie of Larbert now.
- Wallyford Datsun is now a JM Group/Belmont Jeep, Mitsubishi and Suzuki dealership.
- SMT Citroen Stirling was also a Vauxhall dealer, SMT/Lex sold off a lot of their dealerships in 1991 and Ian Grieve bought it and then sold it to Arnold Clark in 2007
- Graham & Morton Renault Stirling still there but taken over by Arnold Clark.
- W Livingstone Ltd Uddingston still exists but change to Seat in 1991 which it still is now.
- Edina Garage Mazda changed to Proton and then closed.
- Linn Volvo was eventually taken over by Abercromby who closed the Carluke branch, Abercromby then sold their West of Scotland Volvo sites to JM Group/Murray who then sold to Taggarts/Lookers who moved the Hamilton dealership to their existing Motherwell branch and closed the Hamilton branch, it's now just spare ground.
- Watsons of Cumbernauld became (I think) McCashins of Cumbernauld and then closed and Arnie opened it up selling Nissan and later Kia which is still there to this day.
- Catney Nissan Hamilton became AFG then later Parks Motor Group Toyota and Hyundai, then Renault and Kia, and is now Parks Maserati and Douglas Park Mini.
Previous Car History:
97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS
02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX
04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique
98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe
05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi
02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort
97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE
05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design
09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique
15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi
09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)