Ooops i've won a mega high mileage, weird Citroen van: Collected!

dean36014

Well trouble and worries ahoy. It turns over very slow even with a new battery, and doesn't like cold starting either. Praying its not compression related but its not blue smoking on start up. A quick read on tinternet reveals the hdi using some electronic wizardly so the glow plugs only work under a certain temperature. Going to bang the fault code reader for a start and see whats what. I think the starter has seen better days too, no receipts found for a replacement so think its original. I have a spare starter of the ex Beko ZX and according to ECP theres a 50 50 chance of it being the right one. If it turned over quicker it would probably start easier. In other news the indicator stalk/light switch is typically french and playing up. new one ordered for £20.

If it has loads of receipts and then none for starter, then it's probably not been replaced? If so, it's probably done a lot of work over the years! Also given that it struggles turning over (and smoothly?), it's an indication that compression should be good?

I think the route of the problem is the slow starter motor, but it is showing a fault code. Will change starter in the week and go from there. Still love it though. Wonder what the difference is to the 110bhp hdi engine.

If you can get one get the Mitsubishi (Melco) starter, It's much stronger than the Valeo one, both are interchangeable.

It was only an idle thought, I think any mods on such a high mileage engine would spell disaster. Anyway, got back in the yard this morning and its -2 and everything is white. Against all the odds after about 5 seconds of churning on the starter it fired up nice and smoothly. I honestly think if it spun over at the correct speed starting would be pretty instant. My old C5 would start instantly without any waiting for glowplugs whatever the weather so I'm thinking replacement starter and see how it goes then.

For those asking for a rear picture as its dark out I've lifted the picture off the ebay ad, if there's any further interest I'll gladly take photos of any points of interest in there.

In further news after comparing it to my mates xsara estate there is a distinct reduction in legroom and I'll feel a bit cramped up. A quick look at the bulkhead that's jammed into the back of the seats and the top half looks like it will unbolt. I'd imagine the seats use standard xsara runners so I might be able to gain another couple of inches of seat movement, further investigation required. Also discovered that the heater is like having a blast furnace in the cab, very effective still.

post-740-0-66173800-1483586141_thumb.jpg

you could try some jump leads battery to engine block and positve to the starter lug , if it roars over then the you have dud leads or manky connections  

will check this before removal, but my money is on a lazy starter which its perfectly entitled to at 271k miles service.

Tried to start it this morning by instantly turning the key, no joy. Leave ignition on for 10 seconds and she fired up after about 5 seconds of churning. So by this I deduce that the glow plugs are actually doing something even though there's no light on dashboard to show them. i will check voltage at the plugs when the ignition is first turned on to see if thats true, then whip plugs out and check them. I have spare set of XUD glowplugs that came withe BX but doubt they are the same.

I presume all the mounting holes are under the carpet for rear seats, seatbelts etc? They wouldn't got to all the effort of separate bodies for the van vs car would they? Do the back windows go up and down etc too?

Looking at it quickly it would appear so. It still has wind down windows in the rear doors, but they are stuck solid to the rubbers. The side windows are all black but on the door glass at least it appears to be a film as there is a tiny bit of peeling in one corner.  I'm going to have a look at the bulkhead this weekend as a little more seat movement would be nice, but I don't want to cut the bulkhead. the top fold behind the seat back rests appears to be bolted on and might allow the seat further back. i don't want to remove it completely as it will get used as a van at times and don't fancy the seat backs as load restraints.

In other news the Peugeot 206sw sold for 300 quid on gumtree. Longest car sale ever as the buyers were adamant that it had a blown head gasket due to a little mayo on the oil filler cap. Wouldn't believe me  that its normal at this time of year. So asked them if they would buy it if I proved the head gasket was ok, which they agreed to. So whipped down the local garage and got them to do a sniff test for a drink to prove its ok. Even the mechanic said mayo was normal this time of year! Anyway head gasket was perfectly ok and sale concluded thankfully, back to only 3 cars, all Citroen.

Now have much want for this but thankfully no where to put it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-2cv-dyane-ds-sm-cx-bx-gs-h-van-light-up-sign-mancave-vintage-style-/172474051599?hash=item2828412c0f:g:PBEAAOSwRH5XLQgS

Got the starter motor out of this today and typically its nothing like the one I have spare. Debating whether to buy one from the likes of ECP or take it down the reconditioning place on Monday and have it checked and rebuilt. It definitely looks like the original motor.  I need to find something like an elasticated cargo net if they make such a thing,  anything put in the back slides all over the place. There is little cargo eyes in the back to hook things to. I've replaced the radio display today so i can now see what station I'm tuned into.

have a picture of a 271k engine, a few things look very rusty and need a clean down. Going to try and find an engine cover for it again.

post-740-0-08725700-1483821162_thumb.jpg

Glow plugs do nothing until it's below 0°C. I only see the glowplug light on mine when it's properly baltic.

The 90hp HDis are a mix of Siemens and Bosch management, the Siemens ones are very difficult to remap.

110s have an intercooler, 90s don't, the turbo on the 110 is a VG, the 90 has a wastegate. Plus mapping and possibly injectors.

Its showing a fault code related to glow plugs. If I try and start it instantly of the key it won't start. if i leave ignition on for 10 seconds and then try it fires up so I'm assuming something is happening. Biggest trouble is it turns over so slowly.

Well had the starter and checked and yes it was original and knackered!

So now have a shiny new starter motor fitted and it starts pretty much instantly now. But I know can't get the bonnet open again, it release ok with the cable but won't release off the secondary catch. I think I must have caught it and bent it somehow. given up for today and will investigate another day.

post-740-0-04857100-1483969174_thumb.jpg

Rodgered the grill out of the bonnet and now got it open. grill now held in with coloured co-ordinated silver tiewraps until i can be bothered to fix it properly. can confirm it starts instantly now whilst covered in snow and -2 temperatures. took a leap of faith and filled it up with diesel too. In other news i hit a rather large bump in the road and all my light weirdness has stopped and they are all working again. Must be a bad connection somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Well been running this for a few weeks and discovered a few faults, but nothing too bad. the worst a slight leak from the heater matrix, so looks like a dash out job come spring. Its averaging about 41mpg which seems a little low considering its on mixed runs, but it has done 272k so the injectors might be worn. its used no oil in the 500 miles I've done so far. The headlights don't work correctly and the french car forum think this is due to a dodgy comms unit in the light stalks comms box. I bit the bullet today and managed to dismantle the end of the indicator stalk in situ. it was a bit of a fiddle but found a groove worn in the copper light tracks. scraped them flat again, cleaned up with contact cleaner and now they work correctly. How long for I have no idea but at least I've isolated the fault. The remote locking is completely capput, various invoices have revealed previous attempts to fix with no success. So I've purchased another chinese remote locking kit the same as the one i fitted to the ZX, just need a nice day to fit it. Also got a reversing sensor kit as rear vision is limit with black side windows and a high back window. An oil change is on the cards, but again waiting for a drier day.Going to try and put some sound proofing under the rubber floor and some carpet on top to cut down on the rear road noise due to lack of seats back there. It now starts perfectly every time due to the new starter so that's a relief.

• 1 month later...

Well this has been running well since the battery and starter motor. Just clicked over 273k so gave it a quick oil and filter change today. Its earning its keep hauling various building materials around and tip runs. It seems to 40mpg however its driven which isn't as good as I'd thought it would be. However I'm hoping to get as a freebie a 130k hdi engine which i might transplant the injectors from into the van and see if that makes it any more economical.