SENATOR-Gone!

Stevebrookman

Latest on the Senator.

Back from hols so thoroughly cleaned the surfaces. New head gasket and "O" ring.  Me and my brother used my newly purchased block and tackle to gently lower the head down-all torqued up using the 3 stage process- 25, 50, 74 lb foot-even had my brother checking the order and settings. All put back together-thought I'd fill it with water. Drips started to form along the gasket joint on both sides of the head.

"Oh bother!" I thought.

Had a think and the only thing that came into my mind was a faulty Torque Wrench-It's nearly 30 years old-but my brother paid loads for it.

I went to Screwfix and bought a new one-all the bolts needed at least another quarter turn before the wrench clicked. Filled with water again-but so far no drips.

Hoping this is the problem and may have caused the last one to go tits up.

Steve

Hello all,
Got it running this morning-dropped the old oil before starting-adjusted the rockers and then let it run for a while to bleed the cooling system. Changed oil and filter again and put on rocker gasket and rocker covers. Ran it for ages, drove in and out of the car port and all seems ok. Have a slight weep from rocker gasket-it popped out a little-but will do this when engine has cooled down.
So may be ok!

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Hello all,

Got it running this morning-dropped the old oil before starting-adjusted the rockers and then let it run for a while to bleed the cooling system. Changed oil and filter again and put on rocker gasket and rocker covers. Ran it for ages, drove in and out of the car port and all seems ok. Have a slight weep from rocker gasket-it popped out a little-but will do this when engine has cooled down.

So may be ok!

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Top work, glad to hear it's running again.

This calls for celebratory pics of the beast!

Thanks all,

MOT history doesn't look too bad.

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 11 March 2016
  • Expiry date 27 March 2017
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 60,181 miles
  • MOT test number 6229 0986 0071
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Nearside and Offside rear damper bushes perishing
    Slight wear in inner track rod end joints
    Fuel pipe to fuel pump perished
    Slight leak from offside rear damper
  • Test date 28 March 2015
  • Expiry date 27 March 2016
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 56,253 miles
  • MOT test number 8682 1708 5021
  • Test date 15 March 2014
  • Expiry date 14 March 2015
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 54,187 miles
  • MOT test number 5662 6477 4041
  • Test date 20 October 2012
  • Expiry date 19 October 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 52,288 miles
  • MOT test number 2884 4469 2289
  • Test date 7 October 2011
  • Expiry date 6 October 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 51,053 miles
  • MOT test number 1452 0018 1288
  • Test date 29 September 2010
  • Expiry date 28 September 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 50,105 miles
  • MOT test number 7235 6247 0248
  • Test date 16 July 2009
  • Expiry date 15 July 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 49,789 miles
  • MOT test number 3221 6779 9187
    Offside Front Upper Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
    Centre Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
    Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
  • Test date 8 July 2009
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 49,789 miles
  • MOT test number 9027 6928 9118
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Front Brake hose bulging under pressure (3.6.B.3)
    Nearside Front front brake binding (3.7.B.1)
    Nearside Rear front brake binding (3.7.B.1)
    Offside Rear front brake binding (3.7.B.1)
    Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
    Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
    Offside Front Upper Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)

• 2 weeks later...

Passed MOT today!!!

Advisories on track rod end and slightly corroded rear brake pipe.

Friend who took it had a problem on the way-a petrol pipe split-luckily though the car didn't go up.

Got a lazy starter motor or battery when hot-will investigate earthings on the weekend.

Drives lovely!!

Steve

I don't suppose you have a spare starter motor for one of these kicking around?

No unfortunately-looking for one for my Royale.

Car running nicely apart from an exhaust blow from the front pipes where they join the manifold-will take the exhaust apart and do it properly.

Not as fast as my Royale-but much, much more refined.

Got to fix the temperamental central locking and the passenger window amongst a list a mile long-but the original radio cassette works as does the courtesy lights delay.

Steve

Have been using the Senator back and forth to work for most of the week. Its about 12 miles each way-half of it on dual carriageways. The car is excellent-very quiet and supremely smooth. It is higher revving as has been said about the 3 speed -but again not intrusive at 70mph. It is a more sluggish box than the 4 speed on my Royale and the Senator is nowhere near as quick as the Royale (maybe because it is much more refined).

Only problem is the exhaust blowing (cannot hear it from inside!) I think from the manifold / front pipe join. I've got a new set of front pipes and will get a garage to fit them-it's a bit tight under my ramps!

Steve

Hello all,

Been using the Senator everyday back and forth to work. Started having a problem the other day with the alternator overcharging-voltmeter went right up. Lasted a few seconds and then went back down. Okay for a few days until coming home today. Started to do it more frequently. Got it home and when it did it whilst idling-checked the voltage - about 16 volts. So suspect regulator. Wanted to use the car tomorrow so used man logic and pinched the alternator off the Royale (not mot'd at the mo). Bit of a faff as had to change an earth wire as Royale alternator slightly different-but all well!

Will try and get a regulator and swap back again (or knowing me-leave as is and put refurbed one onto the Royale).

Steve

• 1 month later...

Update.

Been using the Senator back and forth to work for the last month. It's a fantastic car for it-my commute is about 6 miles A road and 6 miles dual carriageway-it romps along very well.

On the way to work Friday-brother said "this is the most comfortable car we've had" and yesterday picked up a mate who said "this is the most comfortable car I've been in"- a bit of a coincidence.

To be fair-the ride is superb and the "veloooooor" seats are supremely comfortable.

Only niggles-exhaust still blowing at up-pipe to manifold joint-cannot her it from inside-and a dodgy passenger window-take it apart motor is fine-put back together it works for a day or so and then jams again.

Was underneath it checking brakes the other day-it's like a two year old car underneath-but will inject cavity wax before winter.

The only rust on the car are the two passenger side doors-but I have 4 good doors in the same colour which came with the car.

I think I'll take it off the road for winter and use the Royale instead.

I'm into the car for about £1000 ( purchase £600, recovery £100 and parts for the engine and other bits and pieces-about £300)

I must say-what a bargain!!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Now done nearly 1000 miles in the Senator.

Going very well.

A few niggles-passenger electric window not working. Take it all apart motor works, mechanism works-put it back together and after a day or two stops. Could be a weak motor?

Exhaust still blowing from manifold join. Cannot hear from inside so will live with it for a while.

Car sometimes takes two goes to start when hot and left in hot weather.

Apart from those-very comfortable and gets a move on when the revs pick up.

Not as quick as the Royale though-that has the same engine but a four speed auto.

Royale should be motd in a week or two.

Regards

Steve

• 3 months later...

Now up to 2000 miles.

Going to cut back a little using the Senator over winter-will drop it to 2 days a week. Heating is not the best-think I've got air in the heater matrix-will fill the matrix via the long heater hose. Also since the first frost-petrol consumption has risen quite a bit. I'll use my Range Rover (18 years old) the other days or may use the Royale once or twice-but I don't like salty roads!

Pumped a fair bit of Dinotrol into the Royale's sills on the weekend-meant to do it when the weather was warmer-but I just enjoyed driving it!

Will also pump a bit into the Senators sills next weekend. I'll do it again in the summer when it gets warmer.

Steve

Nice post...funnily enough I can't see ANY of your pics of the Senator - BUT I can see the pics on the 2009 post thats linked...

Does it still have the K40 aerial on the O/S rear corner?? 

Loved driving these when I worked as a valeter at a Vauxhall Garage in 1990..even better when we had a 3.0 24v in for test :D

I have fond memories of being dispatched to Glasgow Airport to pick up the Vauxhall dealer rep in a hurry, cos they'd left it to the last minute. Into the MDs 24v Senny, home, washed, changed into chauffeur togs and down to the airport in about half an hour. Well over the ton down the M8. Arrived calm and unruffled, on time! Great cars...

Nice post...funnily enough I can't see ANY of your pics of the Senator - BUT I can see the pics on the 2009 post thats linked...

Does it still have the K40 aerial on the O/S rear corner?? 

Loved driving these when I worked as a valeter at a Vauxhall Garage in 1990..even better when we had a 3.0 24v in for test :D

Still got the aerial!