SENATOR-Gone!

Stevebrookman

Thanks all,

Will be looking at it on Saturday. I'll give it a good looking over-as I've already got a Royale I know where they go.

Advantage of having a similar engine car is that I can swap things over until I find the faulty part.

The seats are as nice as my Royales.

Royale6_zpsb1tpsier.jpg

Only problem I can foresee is driving it with a misfire-what do you think?

Steve

Advantage of having a similar engine car is that I can swap things over until I find the faulty part.

I'm liking your man-logic here.

I can save you a trip on Saturday though - it's bound to be rusty in all the usual places. Put the cost of travel towards the welding fund and JUST GET IT BOUGHT. Because there's just not enough crushed velour in the world.

That looks great. If the strut towers and chassis rails are sound, it would make a GR11 rolling project. I imagine that the misfire is something relatively simple and cheap to remedy, such as a dead HT lead or something. Even if the car is terminally done-in, it has to be worth buying for the seats  :-D

Thanks for all the replies.

Will be looking at and hopefully buying next Saturday.

MOT history looks very good as well-really a no brainer.

Lucky I created my nice new space!

carport2_zpshu2yvpla.jpg

g3_zpsozlclqsa.jpg

back_zpsqqs0bghh.jpg

It will fit in the garage next t the Royale with a squeeze- but will probably put it under my very expensive (£20) car prt.

Steve

Steve

I drove my four pot Volvo all the way back to Kent from Liverpool in the pissing rain on three cylinders. I nearly bottled it near Oxford when we got stuck in traffic but then the traffic cleared and the sun came out before we found a garage so carried on regardless. It turned out to be the dizzy cap, which no one had bothered to check in 200K miles because it was in a stupid place right at the back, between the engine and the firewall.

This car has previously appeared in AUTOSHITE.

Dave a very helpful member of Autobahnstormers pointed me to this

http://autoshite.com/topic/3132-1983-opel-senator-30-straight-6-for-sale/

Still not running right even from then and Dave said he enquired and it had problems ages ago. Will offer a low price and if ok will proceed. If body is good mechanicals relatively easy(!!!!).

Steve

Had a look at the Senator on Saturday and bought it. Underneath is very good-strut tops fairly good at the moment. Drove very well considering the misfire-about 1 mile. Brakes and gearbox very smooth. The car was much quieter and smoother than my Royale. I think the misfire cleared towards the end of the test drive.

I think the misfire may be a faulty injector or injector wiring-there was no smell of unburnt petrol (unless the ECU shuts down the injector).

Interior good but very dirty-two front windows ok-rears temperamental as was the central locking. Original Philips radio cassette. Didn't try the sunroof.

Seller had four good doors and a good front wing which he hinted we could do a deal for. The car was up for £695-I got it for £600 including the doors and wings.

Seller very pleasant - makes a change.

Was hoping to have it recovered on the weekend-but the transporter has not got back in touch.

Do the masses think it would be ok to drive back on 5.5 cylinders (I do have Mayday Recovery!)

Any advice appreciated and thanks for all the replies.

Steve