SENATOR-Gone!

Stevebrookman

Well bought!

You'll be fine driving it with the miss, I would have no problem trying anyway.

I still reckon you'll get at least an improvement with it just by going through the basics. Clean and/or replaceing ignition bits and drying/cleaning contacts etc. I bet it will even improve just with use, getting it nice and hot regularly.

Senator now at home-collected this morning.

sen11_zpsh2gw95qp.jpg

Before I washed it.

wool_zpsdeua5wpd.jpg

Took it for a spin-apart from the missing it's a superb drive-quiet and excellent brakes.

Put it away to be worked on.

This is the "ARSE" end.

sen8_zpswegsfmwx.jpg

Still suspecting an injector. There is no smell of petrol and I think this car would be too old to have an injector shut down if there was no spark.

Will get on with it in the week.

Steve

Thanks all,

I'll check the tyres-I think they are the same size as my Royale and I put new tyres on that last year. I also have a spare set of alloys for the Senator that came with the Royale.

I'll warm it up and take a plug lead off one at a time until I find which cylinder is at fault and check the feed to the injector (I'll borrow an oscilloscope from work).

Four doors that came with the car are good as is the spare front wing.

Off to give the Royale a blast now!

Steve

Had a fiddle today - the misfire is cylinder 3-plug is dry. Checked voltage at injector got a reading (will check when I bring an oscilloscope home) so suspecting an injector.

The car has had running issues in the past-all to do with rust in the tank-so I'm suspecting a blocked injector?

Anyone got any? (don't want to borrow one off the Royale yet!)

Regards

Steve

Afternoon all,

Whilst waiting for a set of injectors to arrive (from the excellent Autobahnstormers club shop-Keith is superb!) I've done a couple of other jobs today.

The oil light and gauge did not work-buyer told me about this - the wires were off and he said they were a pain to get back on. Totally correct-access to the sender even from below was very bad! Eventually (1.5 hours later) got everything attached and now have a fully working gauge and warning light-pressure looks very healthy (62000 miles).

Then had a go at the numerous rust blebs on the sills and bonnet.

bonnet_zpsa6g05for.jpg

Thought I'd give Vactan a go-seems to be good. Friend (Civil Engineer) recalls that this was the only rustkiller allowed on a military job he was involved in years ago.

Will hopefully get the injectors in the week and swap over.

Underbody is superb on the car- mileage does seem genuine.

Onwards and upwards!

Steve

Had another play about today. Injectors from Keith (ABS) arrived (fantastic service as usual!). Didn't try swapping tonight as not enough time or patience after work. Ran the car for a while and took plug 3 out again-dry again but there was petrol vapour coming out of the plug hole-spark seems ok-but am getting a spark plug checker (also put a plug in from my Royale-but still missing).
So possibly a partially blocked injector leaving a little petrol through?

All advice greatly appreciated-will bash on on the weekend!

Steve

An injector can still deliver petrol to the cylinder but still be duff. If the injector is partly blocked or damaged it can no longer spray the fuel out, the spray of fuel is easier to ignite by the spark plug. If the injector just dribbles the fuel out instead it either won't ignite at all or won't ignite properly compared to the other cylinders - hence the misfire.

Good luck with the new injectors!

Steve, an easy check on the spark plug is to remove the suspect plug, re-attach its HT lead and earth the plug on the engine block/bright metal chassis point. Then ask an assistant to start the engine, a healthy plug should show a good strong spark at the tip. Hope this helps.

head_zpslbgmqzz7.jpg

Hello all,
Have found why my recently acquired A2 Senator is missing. I did suspect injectors and got a set from Keith swapped the over but still the same. Took off the rocker cover and fired her up.

Rocker number 6 from the front of the engine is not moving-hence the misfire.

I'm thinking camshaft or hydraulic lifter-any advice on how to progress greatly appreciated.

Steve