SENATOR-Gone!

Stevebrookman

Dropping stuff in an engine bay can be a right mare if the car has an undertray. I thought I would have to buy a new big green knob for the battery disconnector on the DS yesterday, visions of a similar situation to a few years ago when I dropped a rotor arm and didn't get it back until I removed the engine (for other reasons). Fortunately the bright greenness saved the day once I had found a torch and there was the little bugger inside the radiator fan cowl.

All these words just to say that I feel your pain. Have you had it running yet?

Dropping stuff in an engine bay can be a right mare if the car has an undertray. I thought I would have to buy a new big green knob for the battery disconnector on the DS yesterday, visions of a similar situation to a few years ago when I dropped a rotor arm and didn't get it back until I removed the engine (for other reasons). Fortunately the bright greenness saved the day once I had found a torch and there was the little bugger inside the radiator fan cowl.

All these words just to say that I feel your pain. Have you had it running yet?

No-tightened up the head bolts and gave up for the day-needed a fresh mind!

it will need a few more hours yet-all the water pipes, exhaust pipes, electrical connections and rocker arms.

Steve

Then the splined socket came off dropping into the head

Slightly OT but... I did my 4 plugs the other day and had to buy a 16mm PlugSocket. It held the plug in a rubber guide but it gripped the plug harder than the extension could pull the socket off = socket stuck in plug tube :(

I binned the rubber guide and lowered the plugs down the tube with my 'magic magnetic extender' then tighten 'em in :)

The magnetic tip is gr9 for retrieval of wayward junk!

TS

Rockers and tappets being put in tonight. Chain sprocket last night- a bit of a pain as the camshaft was not perfectly aligned for the slot on the sprocket. Managed in the end with the help of a longer bolt (to locate the sprocket-later replaced with normal bolt)  and all timing marks are aligned.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Had a good go today with my "wonderful" Senator. Even managed to start it.

Started to adjust the rockers with the engine running and the oil started to turn a lovely shade lightish brown.

Looks like I either pinched the head gasket putting it on or the "O" ring that sits on the head moved.

I'll leave it a few months (to get my interest back!)and get my Royale going. I'll try and get it under the car port as more room as well.

Onwards and downwards

Steve

Happy days!

I remember a bunch of us trooping mob handed into the workshop to do just that: lift a Senny head off (a 24v too!). In the end we left it to one of the fitters, who was a competition power lifter, quite a big lad, and even he struggled a bit.

Chocolate camshaft was quite common on Vauxhall Opel OHCs, I always assumed it was just that: poor quality case hardening.

Thought I'd have a "quick" look at the Senator after I got home. Two hours later I ended up with this.

h3_zps5b0fiwwb.jpg

I'm getting good at this-must be the practise.

One problem I saw was a hole blocked with sealant (wont be using it again!)

h1_zpshxoeb0a3.jpg

No other obvious faults-"O" ring was in place

h2_zpsffu55dvf.jpg

I'm thinking too much paste and the fact I couldn't do the head bolts up for at least an hour as I dropped the splined socket into the head.

another pic

h4_zps7yowltvk.jpg

steve

Fair play for getting stuck in for round two. If having to do a job twice peeesice you off as much as it does me, you are mighty peiced.

I'm with the chaps, Defo dry on a headgasket. I always used to use hylomar on thin paper rocker gaskets until it didn't work, so I moved to hermatite red, better but still not good. Then an ex RAC patrolman said 'use grease' on the paper rocker gasket, brilliant. Don't use grease on a OMGHGF though

Yep-my fault!

I was given advice just to smear around the corners as Bren said, but went " slightly" overboard. Will send for a HG today and will also get a chain block from ebay to lower it down slowly. It,s a very heavy lump- bit like me!

Anyway- if anyone wants a hand getting a CIH head off- I'm your man- just no good at putting it back on!

No sealant this time!!!!!

Thanks again

Steve

Ts