Fear and Loathing at SVM HQ

cms206

The 850 is out for that duty 'cos it's an auto meaning the wife intends to snaffle it when she passes her test. It's a hard one.

Does it have to be an auto then?  If so, not wishing to detract from John's Cav but how about this?

post-5013-0-39329300-1490011019_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel-Cavalier-2-0-auto-GLS-/252808231831?hash=item3adc8b7b97:g:V00AAOSwcL5XM0E2

Despite what the ad says, it's MoTd until September.  Miles away from you but RobT delivery service available...

Congratulations to you both Andy on the future arrival. We had the same dilemma when we found out about ours and ended up buying the Focus Estate although it was a lot of money and we had to add it to the mortgage.

More sensibly would be a Volvo V40 2.0d, you can start to pick them up for around £2000 now and they are a well made and modern car with the isofix seats which makes life a lot easier. I don't know if Mark sold his one on here?

This is sadly not sustainable daily as WIFE_CMS is two months pregnant meaning that I will need to go and get something not catastrophically shit on fuel, big enough to cart all the stuff for a child and almost sensible.

Congrats.

When Mrs Honda was two months pregnant with Honda junior no1. The running fleet consisted of a 954cc 3dr Pug 106 and a Citroen GS X2. Even the 106 big enough to cart all the stuff for a child. If you need bigger then you are carrying superfluous shit around.

When Honda Jr#1 was 5 months old we went on holiday, and bought a Volvo 343, then a roofbox, then a trailer. The last two items were only because I ended up buying some spares on the way round. The roofbox usually makes it onto the car at Christmas time for a week and the trailer comes out the odd day for ditching garden crap during the summer.

Even now with HJr#1 (6 next month) and HJr#2 (5 in Sept), the main family car is the Jizz and big enough.

I can get the desire for big cars, I don't get the "need".

Now go and get yourself a old Jizz!

Duster is only 175 a month 😀. I don't do expensive either, as you could probably tell by my current steed!

You don't want to be tied into finance but what about a second hand one?

Whits your budget?

Would you rule out something like a 306 Estate, or even a lower mileage 406?

Budget is growing weekly but not huge. To be honest I wouldn't be sacking off the 406 I have if it wasn't as crunchy.

Rover 75 diesel estate? Congrats on the wee one on the way too.

Cheers! Driven lots of 75 Tourers 'cos we use them on schools, not that keen on them. Very claustrophobic.

Does it have to be an auto then? If so, not wishing to detract from John's Cav but how about this?

attachicon.gifcav auto.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel-Cavalier-2-0-auto-GLS-/252808231831?hash=item3adc8b7b97:g:V00AAOSwcL5XM0E2

Despite what the ad says, it's MoTd until September. Miles away from you but RobT delivery service available...

Auto isn't a requirement as it'll be for my to get to work and occasionally travelling to head office in Edinburgh as well; WIFE_CMS hasn't passed her test yet but her confidence with a manual isn't great.

Congratulations to you both Andy on the future arrival. We had the same dilemma when we found out about ours and ended up buying the Focus Estate although it was a lot of money and we had to add it to the mortgage.

More sensibly would be a Volvo V40 2.0d, you can start to pick them up for around £2000 now and they are a well made and modern car with the isofix seats which makes life a lot easier. I don't know if Mark sold his one on here?

Cheers Trig! We've no mortgage we can add on to so budget isn't even at £2k; a Focus would be ideal though! I'm on a few Volvo facebook pages and the quality seems patchy at best.

I have a Xanta HDi hatch available... and I'm going to be in the central belt on Friday.

Xantias don't really cut it for some reason.

Do you do Italian? 156 jtd Sportwagon here. Mildly scruffy, but not a bad chariot.

Not done an Alfa yet... Mr Dome may be more interested and more full of cash!

Congrats.

When Mrs Honda was two months pregnant with Honda junior no1. The running fleet consisted of a 954cc 3dr Pug 106 and a Citroen GS X2. Even the 106 big enough to cart all the stuff for a child. If you need bigger then you are carrying superfluous shit around.

When Honda Jr#1 was 5 months old we went on holiday, and bought a Volvo 343, then a roofbox, then a trailer. The last two items were only because I ended up buying some spares on the way round. The roofbox usually makes it onto the car at Christmas time for a week and the trailer comes out the odd day for ditching garden crap during the summer.

Even now with HJr#1 (6 next month) and HJr#2 (5 in Sept), the main family car is the Jizz and big enough.

I can get the desire for big cars, I don't get the "need".

Now go and get yourself a old Jizz!

No! I just much prefer a larger-ish car, because I am fat and tall and like to stretch out. We did a holiday in the lakes four up in the Pride and it did the job fine, but I knew I had done the journey.

As it stands it looks like I am combining a last chance at youth with a simple family car well within budget... fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm hardly a lightweight with my penchant for pies and roll + sausage (sliced naturally) + tattie scone. Are youse calling me a short-erse?

Anyway, budget?

£150 for this if you can start it. Weigh it in in July: https://www.gumtree.com/p/chrysler/chrysler-pt-cruiser-2004-/1225013043 :-D

Honda, yer a shortarse.

Handbrake has now failed in the turbo. DAMN YOU KARMA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It got beaten by £8CAR at Crail.

Not enough Bru and square in the tank. Or too much in the boot. Either way...

Would you consider a V70, Andy? Loads about in good order for not much money, usually comfy, and if you're lucky, Isofix sprogseat mountings. Roughly 30mpg on petroleum essence, heavy oil better as doubtless Richard will attest.

No! I just much prefer a larger-ish car, because I am fat and tall and like to stretch out. We did a holiday in the lakes four up in the Pride and it did the job fine, but I knew I had done the journey.

Are youse calling me a short-erse?

Honda, yer a shortarse.

cms206: I am much more short-erse than E. Honda and am fond of pies, black pudding, and curry, and yet I believe both you & I found the Pug 205 comfy enough.  Argument destroyed!