Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

Not really.

Had beer and we all decided it was a good idea. Bucketeer and 320touring sent me photos of Bulgarian heaps.

In theory as Bulgaria is a EU country if we get their insurance it should cover us.

Breakdown might be more interesting.

I was working in the basis that most things can be fixed. If they can then just leave the keys in the vehicle and get a train home.

I've been looking at doing this from Spain for a few years but it's never materialised. Doubt that I will be able to do this one but will have a think about it.

I was talking with barmatt about it before about getting some RRC from Portugal - 5 headed monster in 3 door flavour for me ;)

What would the deal be with insurance? Would it be cheaper over there than the UK?

The selection of quality* vehicles and a trouble free* journey across Europe is something I could be interested in.

I discussed this with Bucketeer at Shitefest '17... apparently insurance is very cheap in Bulgaria but you wouldn't really want to try claiming on it ;-)

I reckon we'd need to pair up, and buy 2x of each car, expecting to only get one home and the other be used as spares/donor vehicle en route.

That's the trick, isn't it?  Not so much doubling-up the vehicles, but sticking together and looking out for each other.  If everyone carried a few tools (co-ordinated so there was enough for almost any eventuality) there should be enough hands and skills to fix most mishaps en route.  Once this side of the channel, just drop off as the convoy passes your turning, eventually leaving the northernmost contingent to slog the rest of the way.  Also, don't plan on doing more than about 300 miles a day, that's quite enough in untried old cars on strange roads.  You will need your sleep!

That weekend is the bank holiday hence choosing it.

The original rough idea for me is to fly out.

Meet Bucketeer, buy a Wartburg tourist or if unavailable something else that runs okish. Insure it.

Drink a bit in the forest. Avoid the bears

Then come home potentially through serbia, albania, Montenegro, Croatia etc.

I literally haven't looked into anything except a map. So this may or not be a good idea.

That was based on me and a couple of mates

Alternatively if there are a a few of us then I am pretty flexible.

eddyramrod, on 09 Aug 2017 - 4:09 PM, said:

That Volga would be about the right price point.  I wonder how much work it needs to get it running?

No, stop it!  I can't!

OK, we probably need some more info about this trip.

- Where are we going to be based? Veliko Tarnovo, or somewhere else?

- How long are we planning to spend there, for chod-hunting & spannering? I'd suggest at least one week in BG then another week for returning.

- What fettling facilities are we likely to have? Tools, ramps, access to welding kit, motor factors, scrapyards, local engineering shops, etc.

- How do we plan on travelling to view chod? Hire cars or sympathetic local guides (who would be very useful for their language skills, etc.)

- Will someone be available to help us with export documentation, insurance, etc.?

I'm basically in, just would like a better idea of how it is likely to work :-)

OK, we probably need some more info about this trip.

- Where are we going to be based? Veliko Tarnovo, or somewhere else?

- How long are we planning to spend there, for chod-hunting & spannering? I'd suggest at least one week in BG then another week for returning.

- What fettling facilities are we likely to have? Tools, ramps, access to welding kit, motor factors, scrapyards, local engineering shops, etc.

- How do we plan on travelling to view chod? Hire cars or sympathetic local guides (who would be very useful for their language skills, etc.)

- Will someone be available to help us with export documentation, insurance, etc.?

I'm basically in, just would like a better idea of how it is likely to work :-)

Sounds like Top Gear, The A Team and The Long Way Round all merged into one program :)

John - You already have an unsympathetic local guide who speaks the language. Me.

I have friends who can help sort paperwork.

Fettling is for wusses.

Do you have any idea what sort of money insurance would be? Obviously it would need to cover us fully comp, roadside recovery and at home, courtesy car and onward travel, key cover and free Valeting services (or perhaps not).

The first car is bought within walking distance, then the distances can expand outwards after that. Sorted!