Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

John - You already have an unsympathetic local guide who speaks the language. Me.

I have friends who can help sort paperwork.

Fettling is for wusses.

Ace, hope you don't mind being run off your feet when a couple of dozen of us turn up all wanting to buy stuff :-D

I suspect some fettling may have to happen, otherwise we could end up spreading borked chod and/or shiters all over mainland Europe lol

I've got a tough one for you to find, Alex.

A Suzuki RG500 Gamma, sold between 1985 and 1987 approx.

They're hard to find for sensible money in Western Europe but there might be one or two kicking around over there.

I shall furnish you with copious quantities of strong alcohol if you can find me one.

:-)

That sounds far too organised John :-)

My plan was to rock up on Friday. Buy a car. Drink over weekend. Drive home and be back for say Thursday.

Car breaks I would try to fix it. Unfixable. Taxi to station then train home.

I guess it all comes down to your level of risk.

Probably the best solution would be to agree to be somewhere for the sat & Sunday.

That way if people want to fly out (whizz air is cheap) for weekend they can and then they can fly home.

Others that want to be more daring can be.

The Moog, on 09 Aug 2017 - 5:14 PM, said:

That sounds far too organised John :-)

My plan was to rock up on Friday. Buy a car. Drink over weekend. Drive home and be back for say Thursday.

Car breaks I would try to fix it. Unfixable. Taxi to station then train home.

I guess it all comes down to your level of risk.

Probably the best solution would be to agree to be somewhere for the sat & Sunday.

That way if people want to fly out (whizz air is cheap) for weekend they can and then they can fly home.

Others that want to be more daring can be.

Or, to put it another way...

b324281f7da7946d8920311444f50522.jpg

:-D

Can I suggest that whoever organises Shitefest UK 2018 looks to do it sometime shortly after the convoy of carnage gets back to the UK? Then there will be a proper heroes welcome! I'd quite like to take part myself, but hate flying, don't have a lot of cash and have no idea if I'll have time.

I came back to the site yesterday to update the Espace thread and less than 24hrs later I'm contemplating a Bulgarian chod mission, this place has a lot to answer for.

In other news Liggle has potentially volunteered* to tag along as my co-pilot/spanner monkey :D

This sounds great and at the very least I'd like to meet the convoy off the boat/train in Kent. As egg suggests, we could form an Eastern European greeting party with two Favorits!

I am tempted to come along but have no room for any more ex Communist chod. But I'm guessing you could do with spare drivers, or more likely, someone to fall asleep in the passenger seat but help with petrol costs.

But my sensible head also has a few questions. The insurance, as mentioned above, but that seems not to be too much of a problem and we have people in the country to help with burocracy.

If, as is being suggested, any car that suffers terminal breakdown is just abandoned, it may come back to haunt whoever has bought it. Having said that, for the money being suggested, I'm sure you can get something in fairly good nick and see no reason why they shouldn't make it.

As an example, Club Triumph run their Round Britain Reliability Run every two years. London to John O'Groats to Lands End and back to London in 48 hours. 2000 miles almost non stop in cars that are generally 30-60 years old. I've done it five times in three different cars and never failed to finish. I realise these will be cars you've never seen before but I'd be happy to do the trip tomorrow in either of my Skodas.

Anyway I'll watch this thread with interest and keep the dates free (that doesn't mean I'll necessarily be able to get the time off work, but I won't make any other plans).

And if we're going through Romania can we stop off and pick up a couple of Dacia 1300/1310s?

Would there be a strong market for a semi-modern RHD luxobarge in BG?

Something like a £700 E-series or Volvo S80... four shiters per car, share the drive, you'd be mobile once there, and have more options. Could something like that sell easy enough for a profit over there?

Can I suggest that whoever organises Shitefest UK 2018 looks to do it sometime shortly after the convoy of carnage gets back to the UK? Then there will be a proper heroes welcome! I'd quite like to take part myself, but hate flying, don't have a lot of cash and have no idea if I'll have time.

That's a great idea, you all drive back straight to shitefest 18!

That way, we can spray the cars on arrival with lager, and you can be heros! Do we have anyone capable of organizing a shitefest near the chunnel?

Plus if you give us the heads up parts and tools can be waiting for you, look how much we did to the beige bx on a drunken Saturday!

Id love to come, but no passport, and no money will put paid to that, it's got to cost a fair bit all in even if the cars are cheap!

There is no guarantee that all participants will get back to the welcome though, but I suppose that is part of the fun.

Maybe you should drive down in a blind eBay purchased Audi and try to swap that for something much more desirable* to return in.

Count me in as a definite maybe for this caper ... I think barmatt could be interested as well (provided he's drunk when asked)

Has anyone looked in to the boring side of this? Insurance, breakdown cover etc?

Diplomatic Immunity covers the insurance, throw vehicle away and buy another instead of breakdown cover

Ok, flying isn't so bad!

It's around a 3hr flight depending on airports obviously

Sofia is the main airport in the western side of the country,other choices are Burgas or Varna but they're on the Black Sea side.

Even cheaper flights can be found to Bucharest in Romania,then a pleasant train ride over the border which the wife had to do earlier this year when all the roads were closed with very heavy snowfall

I have a garage with a pit,small number of hand tools and I'll have the welding workshop up and running by then

Not so good with the lingo just yet,certainly not enough to deal with the various legal hoops to jump through...