Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

A-Frame - a method of towing a possibly dead car, with a passably alive one. Extra kudos gained from towing something of roughly equal mass to the towcar, over a long distance. Towing a Metro with a Discovery, 40 miles is good. Towing a Discovery with a Metro from Central France to Dingwall is for winnars. Restecp.

So towing a Crown Victoria 2500 miles over the alps with a badly made Renault......

panhard65, on 16 May 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:snapback.png

If any of you guys go near a motor factors whilst out there could you find a price for 12kg of R134 air con gas. It has gone to stupid money over here, but  a Polish chap I was speaking to yesterday said it's still cheap in Poland. So maybe it will still be cheap in Eastern Europe ?.

Will try and remember,  are any of the west country shitters coming to scotland to get it back to you?

I hope to be at Shitefest and would be passing Taunton (Wellington?) on the way home;  just need  post code for both ends of Shitely express courier service

In theory, I should be driving around in my new steed in exactly one week today! I have been sent another photo of it, surrounded by kittens. What I still don't know is the final total price including road tax and insurance (which is per vehicle, not per person). 

I have also been sent a video of an intersection in Romania, which appears to have no traffic control at all. This looks fun*. It isn't my video, so can't share. Have this one instead.

In theory, I should be driving around in my new steed in exactly one week today! I have been sent another photo of it, surrounded by kittens. What I still don't know is the final total price including road tax and insurance (which is per vehicle, not per person).

I have also been sent a video of an intersection in Romania, which appears to have no traffic control at all. This looks fun*. It isn't my video, so can't share. Have this one instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzV1LLXOZcc

So which one's yours Ian?...

Problems continue. The distributor was changed today apparently, having been discovered to be one from a 1.3 engine. It has the 1.4. I've no idea if it makes any difference, but it now isn't idling very cleanly. Which means it hasn't been for its IPT yet. Which means I'm getting a little bit worried...

Hey, if worst comes to the worst, we revert to the original plan of trying to find something on the fly. We've still got a few days yet, but I was hoping he'd be able to get it road legal and hammer about in it so I could feel reasonably confident about getting it home. I'm not even sure when it was last road legal...

As you two know, the deal for the Crown Victoria has fallen through for a second time, so I will not be driving back.

I am still going to be around for the Bulgaria and Romania part of the journey, however it is now all down to you to bring something back from Romania.

No pressure.

As you two know, the deal for the Crown Victoria has fallen through for a second time, so I will not be driving back.

I am still going to be around for the Bulgaria and Romania part of the journey, however it is now all down to you to bring something back from Romania.

No pressure.

So, you're now travelling all the way to Bulgaria, just to spend an entire day on a bus to Romania with (at least) two blokes with too much hair. LEGEND!

Ahhhh I keep thinking its a Renault 12 but these are newer with the 1.4 which was better. Does it have a temp gauge or just the "headgasket blown" light.

It does have a gauge. 1.4 is only a bored out 1.3. Both were Cleone units. With the head gasket having just been replaced, I am wondering about taking a torque wrench so I can re-torque the head bolts after a few hundred miles. Seems an extravagant thing to take on holiday, but I should give the thing a fighting chance.

Will you be allowed to take a torque wrench on a plane? Would imagine it could cause concern going through the baggage scanner... Unless you insert it where it could be hidden about your person, can't see that going wrong at all

It does have a gauge. 1.4 is only a bored out 1.3. Both were Cleone units. With the head gasket having just been replaced, I am wondering about taking a torque wrench so I can re-torque the head bolts after a few hundred miles. Seems an extravagant thing to take on holiday, but I should give the thing a fighting chance.

The heads are different as I found out putting a 1.4 in a 1300 Estafette. They are interchangable though, torque wrench would be a good idea and keep a close eye on the gauge.

Will be done next weekend. Maybe I should pack a torque wrench to reset the head bolts on the way back!

I would do that. If not possible, there are auto shops along the way where you could borrow one for setting them back. If I remember correctly, 35 Nm and going in a spiral clockwise starting from a middle one.

I have the same issue! I said I needed the VIN number for insurance, but he said he would arrange the insurance (which is per car, not per driver) and it would cover me for the drive home. Decided I'll just go with that, and insure it 'properly' at some point on the way home.

The Romanian insurance will be valid. You'll just have to look at the green slip and see which countries are cut from it (Serbia might be, but I don't know of any EU country that would be cut from the insurance).

Erm, watch that the 12v power outlet isn't a DIN type. Or just buy an adapter just in case.

It's a proper cigarette lighter.

Romania had better 4G coverage than the UK, so here's hoping.

Yes. Indeed, we do have better and faster mobile data.

Road tax: about 13 RON (2.something pounds) per week, valid from the time you buy it until the 7th midnight (if you buy it on Sunday, it will expire at midnight Saturday to Sunday). Only needed on major roads (name of the road starting with A, E, DN) outside big cities. 

Insurance: one month should be about 30-50 RON, so under 10 pounds.