Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

Hint: if your car papers are not 100% sane, you better avoid Switzerland. Not EU and still a customs check point at every border with an officer eying every car and stopping what looks even slightly suspicious. Also 40 Alpin Francs (~30 GBP ) motorway sticker fee unless you go side roads only.

Last time I went to Switzerland, in the 2CV, we found a very open border at the coast of Lake Geneva. We parked in France and walked into Switzerland, amazed at the contrast! Shabby buildings immediately gave way to typical immaculateness. We didn't touch a single motorway on that trip. It was lovely.

Cats and I depart in one week! Brodders will already be there. Gosh this is exciting/terrifying. Currently eyeing up a 7hr coach trip from Sofia to Bucharest, because the train is a lot more expensive, and takes longer. Maybe a coach trip will allow for more chod spotting?

How long are you away for, is it the 2 weeks?

As we're landing in the wrong country now, I've just booked a bus for three of us, for seven hours, with extra luggage, for under £40. BARG! It was a lot cheaper than the train ended up being, and is quicker! We hope.

If you're passing Veliko Tarnovo I'll wave as you toddle by...

Tbh the coaches are just as quick as a car,in decent order inside and will allow you to peep over the many many walled gardens as you go

If you're passing Veliko Tarnovo I'll wave as you toddle by...

Tbh the coaches are just as quick as a car,in decent order inside and will allow you to peep over the many many walled gardens as you go

Alas we're passing north of you by the look of it. We join the E85 just north of Polsko Kosovo. 

Quite how I'm going to sleep for the next week, I'm not sure. I'm beyond excited. We have two cars that we haven't been able to thoroughly confirm we can actually buy, or insure (my insurer has a 5000-mile per year limit, and we'll eat half of that up just getting back to Wales), but a plan is sort-of forming. We will land in Sofia. We will stay in a hotel. A week today, we will meet a Bulgarian 2CVer, who will show us the sights. He has said that beer is cheap. Saturday will see us undertake a massive coach journey, then we're staying in an apartment overlooking a lake in Bucharest. There will be more tourism.

After that, who knows? I think I might book a car to make life a bit easier but I am hoping we can buy my car on the Sunday. The vagueness of sellers is apparently just a thing. At the moment, my car still has a blown head gasket and isn't road legal. I'm keeping an open mind.

Usually in the run up to buying a new car, or any other significant event with a bit of unknown I remain relaxed, yet excited in the run up.

However, some time before it, it could be minutes, it could be weeks, I get a very sudden and palpable dose of the fear, have any of you chaps felt it yet?

Usually in the run up to buying a new car, or any other significant event with a bit of unknown I remain relaxed, yet excited in the run up.

However, some time before it, it could be minutes, it could be weeks, I get a very sudden and palpable dose of the fear, have any of you chaps felt it yet?

Oh yes. If I stop and think about the absurdity of it all, it can be quite overwhelming. So I try not to think about it. I mean, we're flying to the wrong country, in which we don't speak the language, then getting a bus to another country in which we don't speak the language, so we can buy cars then drive home through several countries in which we don't speak the language. In a car built in just-about-not-communist Romania, that's based on a Renault of two decades previously, that has a knackered head gasket. Frankly, it's all so ludicrous that it's hard to believe it's actually going to happen, so I can remain calm.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever actually met Brodders.

I've met Brodders... Err... Good luck?!

Na, I'm joking he's a good lad, you'll be alright there! Although do watch him, we both managed to get shat on by a seagull the other week, it was all his fault obviously. I'm really looking forwards to hearing about your adventures, i'm sure it will all go to plan :)

You'll be fine with the Rule Of Nine

1. Cable Ties

2. Gaffer Tape

3. WD40

4. 5 Ltr Water

5. 5 Ltr Oil

6. Warning Triangle

7. Flat Pack Tow Rope

8. 5 Ltr Fuel

9. European Road Atlas

I'd leave out the atlas and replace it with a flask of brandy, after all North/South, etc are usually in the same place.

Well that's encouraging!

Head is back on, engine back together and all is well apparently.

I suppose the risk of the Gasket having been made form a Killgoggs Cornflake Packet is quite low.......but from a www.rommac.ro Corn Flakes packet is quite high. I had an exhaust downpipe gasket made out of cereal packet and Gunners Gum last for 200 miles (five days) ......buys you a bit of time.

I've met Brodders... Err... Good luck?!

Na, I'm joking he's a good lad, you'll be alright there! Although do watch him, we both managed to get shat on by a seagull the other week, it was all his fault obviously. I'm really looking forwards to hearing about your adventures, i'm sure it will all go to plan :)

It got worse after you and the others left. I forgot where I had parked the car and proceeded to spend about 20 to 30 minutes trying to find the street where I had left the bloody thing.

If I am unable to remember a street in Felixstowe it really does cause me to question how the fuck I am going to get back across Europe.