Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

Having a browse tonight, there seemed to be a TON of Mazdas, even 323Fs. All seemed pretty cheap. Maybe we test the theory with more modern shite. Can always plan another trip once we've got the basics sussed. Or, I wonder if Bulgarian chums would be willish to stash a Warty away to be collected another day?

fly out pick some prime wart

leave at andy if he'll let you then fly back and drive home at some stage with more time

or just visit it now and again for holiday :D

So guys that are going - do you have a budget per night?

I was going to look at a house potentially in Sofia Thurs, Fri and sat night.

That sounds rather sensible, and we should easily get something pretty decent for £20-30 per night each, which I would be pretty happy with, however would be happy to pay up more if that is what was needed.

I also like the idea of a pre meet to discuss things, instead of having to do it all online. Surely Cannock is a sensible place for it, as it is a fairly central place in relation to all of us (I think).

I've offered elsewhere - but as some of you may be passing by - If I'm not able to join (I'll be a late confirm if I can) - my place is available as a rest stop or recovery/service bay if/when needed. Its open ended but of course anything trudging from Bulgo via Belgo to Britto is more than welcome..........

same for Munich, drink, food, bed, road side service, you are welcome!

I did something silly last night and added up all the credit card slips from my trip back from Barcelona.  £610 This is just for fuel,hotels,flights,food and the ferry back. We stopped at cheapish hotels but did eat well so could be done cheaper. That was for 900 miles across France. I did notice if you need to buy oil it is bloody expensive 5 litres at a service station was nearly 50 quid. Supermarkets are cheaper for fuel and oil though. There will be tolls on top of this if you use the motorways. If you don't use the motorways you really want to add a day to your trip across France especially if you are in an old car keeping the speed down under 55. One tip is booking.com for hotels the price on their site is often cheaper than just turning up. We have booked whilst sat in the car park before. You can also get a code to recommend booking.com to a friend. This has saved us a lot as when ever your friend books with the code and stays they refund both you and the friend 15 quid. Me and my other half have been swapping codes for a while as I book one then she books the next one. There is a limit though about 10 times each I think but it is a nice little bonus when you get home a few weeks later. At the moment I really don't fancy the experience again as it is pretty boring coaxing a broken car 900 miles home. If you are planning to drive an older car home it might be worth trying one here in the UK first. Some cars are a bit uncomfortable and you will be in there a long while. Not too bad for you youngsters but my back was in bits every night driving the Seat. Other than that good luck and I still might change my mind by May and join you.

That is really good food for thought as we are planning on 2-3 times that distance in cars which were designed around the same time and built later but for far less demanding customers.  Has anybody in the Midlands or Wales got a Lada or Trabant that they would be willing to let me sit in for a bit?  Perhaps we should try and convince Sam Glover to let us into his secret bunker of commie chod?

I have sort of changed my concept of the trip after Mr Bs advice. For me the weekend is to have a nice time out there, and get back reasonably, the car is less important.

Looking at cars available on Sofia and having to drive it back many miles, I think I am going to find something more modern than a warty.

It doesn't guarantee success but a car from mid to late nineties should be a reasonable bet.

And probably worth spending a few quid more to get something to get home rather than trying to save money and be broken down halfway home.

I do think that's more achievable for a first effort TBH. Plus after successfully completing this escapade without complete nervous breakdown, you'll be wanting to do it again but this time you'll have a bit of experience under your belt! 

Of course it's always doable, whatever you decide to do but the key is whether you enjoyed it enough to want to do it again. Have fun!

Yes, I've certainly changed the scope of what I'm looking for from our initial thoughts, though I was betting on at least five days for the drive home regardless. Europe gets pretty shit boring if you stick to the fast roads, as it all looks the same. Generally, I avoid tolls. Having clocked up over 600 miles in a day in the 2CV (through four countries), anything is possible, but I certainly wouldn't have fancied doing that again for a second day...(mind you, that was the second day of our drive home from Switzlerland, so what do I know?)

The plan is whatever you wish it to be. :-)

Shitest Bulgaria is effectively the Saturday. Which will be the usual chat, stories and maybe some beer just abroad.

Beyond that there are zero plans so if people wish to track down trabbies, whistle up a warty or zero in on Zil then they are free too.

I have a deadline so need to be back by then. I really don't intend to buy a 2001 Camry but hopefully something a bit more interesting.

Getting home on time is more important (this time) than the car.

It sounds like we would need a fortnight and a chunk of luck to all end up with Wartburg's to drive home.

The plan is whatever you wish it to be. :-)

Shitest Bulgaria is effectively the Saturday. Which will be the usual chat, stories and maybe some beer just abroad.

Beyond that there are zero plans so if people wish to track down trabbies, whistle up a warty or zero in on Zil then they are free too.

I have a deadline so need to be back by then. I really don't intend to buy a 2001 Camry but hopefully something a bit more interesting.

Getting home on time is more important (this time) than the car.

It sounds like we would need a fortnight and a chunk of luck to all end up with Wartburg's to drive home.

Lancia Kappa's are cheap and I might be interested in buying an estate one if it made it back here if that helps

So from what I understand, the plan now is to fly over to Bulgaria and then drive home in a convoy of 2001 Toyota Avensises? Doesn't quite have the same appeal if I'm honest.

Please rest assured that whatever I buy will be guaranteed to unintentionally cause drama and destruction on the journey back.

Even if I ended up buying a 2001 Avensis , I am sure that it would end up being the only Avensis ever made to have a catastrophic FTP.

P.S: Is the plural of "Avensis" Avensises or Avensi?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think anyone is currently planning to drive there. Could be wrong!

I'm currently in discussions with a friendly campsite 35km west of Veliko Tarnavo, which is about 190km from Sofia. They do offer airport transfers, have space for tinkering and may even have tools we could borrow. Cost is 12 Euros for a double room per night, including continental breakfast. With tea. One of the owners speaks good English and has been giving me advice about buying cars in Bulgaria.

I'm also in preliminary discussions with a 2CV owner in Sofia, so hoping we can firm up a few options in the coming weeks.

One thing still giving some concern is the legality of driving a car with foreign plates in the UK. It does seem a little sketchy...

Don't think anyone is currently planning to drive there. Could be wrong!

I'm currently in discussions with a friendly campsite 35km west of Veliko Tarnavo, which is about 190km from Sofia. They do offer airport transfers, have space for tinkering and may even have tools we could borrow. Cost is 12 Euros for a double room per night, including continental breakfast. With tea. One of the owners speaks good English and has been giving me advice about buying cars in Bulgaria.

I'm also in preliminary discussions with a 2CV owner in Sofia, so hoping we can firm up a few options in the coming weeks.

One thing still giving some concern is the legality of driving a car with foreign plates in the UK. It does seem a little sketchy...

That's good work DW.

I thought you could drive it here but then had to be registered on Nova once here.

It is very sketchy. If you insure it in the UK on chassis number you should be ok. I suspect that a lot of these new "rules" are aimed at people trying to run foriegn registered cars as a way of getting out of paying tax. I know that in the last couple of years my trade insurance has excluded non UK registered stuff. The coppers at Poole harbour didn't bat an eyelid when I drove in with the Spanish registered hearse with half an exhaust. To be on the safe side I would get an import pack from the DVLA and the Nova forms and take them with you in a folder. That way if you do get stopped in blighty you can prove that you are going to UK register it. Just make sure you do the Nova as soon as you get home and not run around in it for a few months before registering it as that could get you in to trouble.

Thanks Panhard. Hagerty have no qualms about insuring the vehicle on the chassis number, which gets me European breakdown cover too. I'm just a little wary as I'm so public about what I do. Mind you, so is Sam Glover, and he doesn't seem to have been nicked yet.

My contact in Sofia reckons it should be possible to visit a Notary to get export plates issued.

You are definitely ok to drive to an MOT on foreign plates, so it seems odd that they'd make it illegal to travel from ferry port to home before the test, or even direct from ferry port to test. I think the general rule is that a UK resident should not drive around on foreign plate - which is fair enough. Guess I'll just hope for leeway. After all, I'm not trying to defraud anyone here! Might even book an MOT on the reg number, so with that, evidence of the ferry crossing, UK insurance and Bulgarian paperwork, I should at least be able to prove I'm not taking the piss.

It would be good if someone could get a definative answer to this question really as more and more people are importing old chod after watching that twat Brewer drive stuff home and thinking it is that easy. Perhaps a word with someone who knows about these things in the police force would be an idea. There again different police forces probably all interpret the law differently. My hearse was certainly insured in Spain but the rest of the trip was a bit of a grey area. I believe that UK insurers will only cover it on the chassis number whilst in the UK and then only whilst it is being mot'ed before registration. If Hagerty will cover it in Europe that is well worth knowing.