Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

The Moog

What breakdown cover have you got? Might be worth getting some if we are going to be lone wolves coming home...

I am with Swintons with personal cover including Europe it's about 15 quid a month. I have had to call them twice in France over the last 8 years or so I have been with them and the service was brilliant far better than when I have broken down in the UK. The girl I spoke to on the phone double checked the policy and said there was no age restriction and as long as the car was legal it didn't matter where it was registered.

I've offered elsewhere - but as some of you may be passing by - If I'm not able to join (I'll be a late confirm if I can) - my place is available as a rest stop or recovery/service bay if/when needed. Its open ended but of course anything trudging from Bulgo via Belgo to Britto is more than welcome..........

The Moog, on 21 Jan 2018 - 8:03 PM, said:

So current potential plan is; 

Thursday - Arrive and beers 

Friday - Car hunting day

Saturday - Car hunting/fixing day/bbq/beer/local liquer

Sunday - set off back back towards the motherland 

Monday - continue home

Tuesday - have to be in Zebrugge at 7pm for ferry back to Hull. 

I don't want to be Buzz Killington, but I think the timing is very ambitious there - both on the finding / fixing side, and on the return journey. Approx. 2000 miles in 2.5 days would mean 800 miles per day, or 10 hours averaging 80 mph.

It can be done with longer driving stints and lower speeds, but a smidgin of luck would need to be on your side.

I don't want to be Buzz Killington, but I think the timing is very ambitious there - both on the finding / fixing side, and on the return journey. Approx. 2000 miles in 2.5 days would mean 800 miles per day, or 10 hours averaging 80 mph.

It can be done with longer driving stints and lower speeds, but a smidgin of luck would need to be on your side.

Fair point. 

Google maps say 1300 miles and 22 hrs in total. so spread over 2.5 days I am hoping that is doable, although as you say any issues may kill timetable. 

If that happens will divert and not go to hull. 

Hmm, Got to agree with John there....one, possibly two days to find and buy a car.....obviously this depends on the concentration of cars for sale in the area, but I forsee a mad rush to "just buy something" and ending up buying a mkIII Astra with no sills. Ideally you need to be in or near a massive city with loads for sale and possibly some bomb-site/back yard dealers to maximise your chances because if its the countryside you will be struggling.

Maybe one of the resident shiters could clarify, but if its anything at all like France its a massive pain in the balls to try to visit more than a couple of cars a day outside of a city.

Do you have a worst case plan? ie easyjet home again? 

Confucious say "I would rather try and fail than buy something I dont want."

Sorry to hear that Skattard.

I am sure after the success* of this trip there will be others.

A sensible plan would be for the cars to be sourced in advance.

Should we have a whip round for 320touring to fly out and purchase the beasties?

Three options

A) get there find a reasonable car. Have a bit of a fettle. Have a laugh and drive home

B ) can't find a reasonable car. Have a laugh and fly/train home

C) somewhere in between but with breakdown cover in place it should be ok.

Craig is sharing driving with me so that should make things easier - plus as DW said if things go awry then it is an extra set of hands.

Sadly, I'm with John & Dave numbers on this one.

Inexperience is making you over optimistic.

I used to bulk import Trabbies ( back when Germany unified) collecting 5 every fortnight

post-758-0-42486200-1516872597_thumb.jpeg

This was with a local friend collecting them, inspecting them, forewarning on issues etc. It still took 2 days flat out fettling to get them home ( just from Germany ) with " proof of personal import" pics then required by Doovla.

post-758-0-52781200-1516872606_thumb.jpeg.Thats Dave, not me!

It takes time to find the right vehicle(s) & it's unlikely to be in a city. So you'll need transport - from the off. Be prepared to travel many miles, & encounter disappointment. Look at Martins Seat hearse. He's an experienced restorer, but the vendors ' optimistic' description has him struggling - hopefully to succeed. Can you?

Bulgaria - Uk is a long schlep on roads you aren't used to, in cars that aren't used to distance or servicing.

Whilst we could all do those daily distanc s in Uk/ Northern Europe - it's too much to expect on southern roads.

I could go on- I won't, because it I sound like my Dad! But you need more time, lowered expectations and alternate plans at every stage.

It's fun, but those timings will just exhaust you

Must admit I was planning on a week for the return journey, and even that's going some. To put it into perspective, when I did the BXagon Rally, I think that covered over 3000 miles around the perimeter of France, which was on fast non-autoroute roads for most of it. We had one rest day, and it took 17 days in total, and it was bloody hard work. I think 350 miles was the most we covered in any one day.

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to end up buying something before we actually get there, but we'll see.

If it's a Warburg 2 stroke you're getting - learn to do head gaskets on the side of the road (actually bloody easy). Trying to drive one that distance back after it's only been pottering around; you're sure to blow one.

If it's a Trabbi 2 stroke you're getting - learn to do head gaskets on teh side of the road. I fact don't agree to buy a Trab until you've heard it. If it has the crank rattle of doom, take a spare engine.

Like Nigel, I used to go to Germany in the early 90s with a few mates and buy Trabbis to drive back home. They were plentiful and fairly unloved over there still but had a bit of a cult following for a short time over here (summat to do with some popular rock combo apparently). A few didn't make it when they rattled their last on the way back but most managed it. We bought out of the papers when over there. If there was none we liked the look of or thought wouldn't make it back we just came back home again. Mostly saloons and the occasional combi but never any tramps. Only ever bought one 1.1 back and one mate kept as his everyday car in the end. 

I also bought a 1957 311 from just over the border in Poland and drove that back. But not before I bought a good 353 engine and slotted that in for the drive back to blighty, trusting a 1957 three cylinder, two stroke engine of a capacity that differed from the 353 (smaller capacity in the early ones) - no thanks. The original engine found it's way back via a contact in Guildford who bought it unknowing it was from my car! 

Bucketeer is going to speak to his people so they will speak to some Bulgarian people to see if we can prepurchase some chod.

So moving forward get your people to keep the diaries free and we will be back to touch base.

It might be that a Wartburg is a step too far for me and in that case some odd 90s chod would do.

When I had a search for wartys they were all well out of town.

In Sofia if you want something up to 2000 there are some very interesting cars, and if they are more likely to get back that would be cool.

So guys that are going - do you have a budget per night?

I was going to look at a house potentially in Sofia Thurs, Fri and sat night.