Idle speed variable.

tommytwo

I have been running a 92 Rover 820si (T16 engine) as my daily driver for the past 15 years and it has been super reliable up to recently. Now it has got a normal or high idle (1500 and up) So far I have checked for vacuum hose leaks, and poor electrical connections and drawn a blank. Today I had the throttle body off. It was very dirty and all I could find wrong was a slightly sticky stepper motor plunger. The TPS gave a smooth variable resistance up and down. I have changed the CTS sensor but no joy there.Switching off seems to reset everything to normal but then the revs will rise slightly, fall back, rise a bit more, fall back less and soon the idle is back to 1500 or higher again.

I need to find a solution to this problem ASAP as my test is due in two weeks. Anyone got an answer for this problem? Don't want to scrap the car but it may come to that.

Thank you gents, your input has been much appreciated. Have tried the reset process many times. Seems to work until the engine is warm, then idle is way above normal. Switch off and restart and the idle is normal until it isn't.

There seems to be a drilling behind the butterfly that is there for idle purposes. The idle screw sits under a nylon blanking plug and the book says that to reset this screw, you need a gas analyzer. That's why I have left it alone. I am going to try soaking it with carb cleaner and see if things improve. Will get back to you if I solve the problem.

Thanks again.

I think that I have found the problem that caused my high and variable idle problem. My car is an early MK2 multi injection type. According to my books, this does not have a throttle switch by the pedal, supposedly deleted. Single point injected cars all have it, and it seems, early MK2 multi point injection models can also have it. A signal from this switch alerts MEMS to implement the idle map. No signal, and no idle map is implemented! So things go a bit haywire.

Early in the the year, I had the screen finisher off and found a rust hole under there, must have been directly over the switch. Also had a problem with damp drivers floor which I put down  to the sunroof drain.. So I think my problem was down to excessive moisture. Just been on a 30 mile run and everything seems back to normal.

Many thanks for advice received, much appreciated, it gave me the will to persevere and fix the problem.