That vandalised Ambassador...

rovamota

the o-series, which that engine is, has a cast iron block with an alloy cylinder head.

the head will need a skim after OMGHGF cos its alloy which can and does warp when its over heated, but iron will not. 

hence the block will be of ot go again when then engine is put back together.

i wish you chaps all the best with putting this wedge back on the road.

it looked so sad, yet saveable in the pics on the ad, so i hope that there will be plenty of updates as this car gets closer to going back onto the road!

Thanks for the nice comments, offers and support. Part of the reason for saving cars like this is because they get such a bad press by the know-it-all 'scrap it' keyboard heroes that we set out to prove they're quite wrong and restore something worthwhile. This ain't no open cheque book restoration that would grace the likes of Octane magazine and end up on a rotating platform at some posh car show, it's the opposite and just the reason why we do it.

Guest Breadvan72

What's the story re vandalisation? I missed that.

I have a soft spot for Princesses and Ambassadors, as my dad had them as BL company cars. Well done for rescuing this fine Beigemobile.

TOP WORK

Mate had a 2.0HL in JRG like this, and I was entrusted with keeping it ship-shape while he was serving a 6 month ban. (yep, speeding. In an Ambassador. HERO)

Bearing in mind I was running a 2.3 Ghia Cortina at the time, the Wedge was at least 237.84% moar comfortable, and certainly as reliable and quick enough. Had to alter my driving style a little - she didn't like being hurried, but given some welly, as long as you didn't expect Lotus Elise levels of cornering prowess, it was perfectly adequate.

As a footnote, my mate flogged it about 3 weeks after his ban was lifted due to MoT failure, and bought my Cortina off me. Which he threw into a ditch. The twat.

Should paint it a bright colour to mix things up abit.  Every Amby Iv'e ever seen is either mushroom or metallic.    Did BL even offer any bright colours?.  

I used to pass a bright red one on my drive to work when I lived in Walsall, it never moved for years then disappeared, scrapped I suppose. I owned a Princess 1800 L for a few months in the 80's, scrapped when it failed mot with excessive corrosion. 

As we all like pics, here's a neglected example.

post-17297-0-85691400-1482934289_thumb.jpg

Here's the original ebay ad for those interested. http://tinyurl.com/h7lo8l5

We had a good look through our haul of parts it turns out that we have all the glass we need except for the rear quarter.

Yesterday I managed to remove the saggy roof lining material (that the vandals also tried to set fire to) and panel and will be ordering new material for it soon. 

Later we got on with the job of replacing all of the door glass, made more difficult by the fact that the front windows are electric. After vacuuming out the broken glass from the bottom of the doors it was then just a matter of sliding in the glass and maneuvering it onto the guide rails and into the channels. We had to liberally lubricate all of the components to get near to a smooth up and down motion. Fitting the drivers door window went very well but the passenger door window motor decided it only wanted to work intermittently and then not at all. I swapped the switch for the drivers side one and it started working again so the switch will need replacing. I think we have a spare one. I also noticed the door lock solenoid has been removed from this door, but we have spares so another job to sort.

post-19521-0-32285000-1482947347_thumb.jpg

It was then on to the offside rear door which is a real faff as the quarter glass has to be removed in order to fit the new glass. It took as long to do this one as it did to do both front windows but we managed to get it in, but as the light started to fade we decided we'd done enough. Next job will probably to fit the windscreen.

post-19521-0-24144600-1482947361_thumb.jpg

Having looked at the sunroof panel all of the locating parts that make it fit to the sunroof frame are broken after the yobbos ripped it out. The sunroof was probably made by Britax and my thinking is that the parts must be the same for all Britax sunroof panels of that period and as fitted to the Metro, Maestro, Montego, Rover 800, etc. so they must be obtainable.