ZAFFFF-EEEERRRRAA OF DESTINY, heart transplant, works well!!!!

vaughant

Hi lads thanks for the replies.

It's not a direct model, slightly earlier vintage so it shouldn't be fuel related I hope?

Certainly sounds spark if I'm honest, unless it's an injector but I'm going to try the obvious first, plugs and so on.

Think SiC is on the ball in that if the coilpack is a loser then it can kill the plug(s) so that's first on the list.

eBay/gumtree seem to have a load about for little money so maybe worth a punt at £20 or so even as a good spare if it turns out to be something else.

Shame their not cool on plug individuals as I've got loads of those brand new that would/could fit.

So decided yesterday to get cracking on this, first things first replaced the plugs, which were in absolutely laughable condition, almost corroded into the head, tips looked like they had fungus growing on them.

So I changed them and it still only ran on 3.

Noticed plug 3 looked quite oily, hmmmm, is this terminal?

Being a hopeless optimist I decided the coilpack was fubared through no reasoning other than I really wanted it to be.

Rushed to euro to collect but nil stock until tomorrow, was this a sign? Oh yes, yes it was.

After getting the old pack off and following a guide on the excellent z22se site, it appeared the coilpack was actually pretty healthy, hmm, am I missing something here?

A few more posts revealed that low compression can also cause it, oh dear?

After paying for coilpack I decided investing £20 into a compression tester was worthwhile, this paid dividends, we'll sort of.

If the coilpack was to be removed from its wrapper then nil refund would be offered so I decided to try a comp test.

post-20636-0-42385800-1483565059_thumb.jpeg

WOW this looks GGGGGGGGREAT, so just cyl 3 to do now which will be fine* of course.

post-20636-0-27480000-1483565246_thumb.jpeg

Ah, maybe not then, I thought perhaps I'd done something wrong with the test, perhaps a dab of oil down the bore?

But I knew I was only kidding myself, it's fooooked, no idea if it's bottom or top end, does seem to be burning oil a bit now, breathing quite a bit back through the induction pipe.

So I'm guessing replacement engine but do I bother? Or just break a few bits to get my monies back/put it down to experience.

It's a shame as I liked it but if it died on the m4 or something that would be me walking away losing money and then scrapping it anyway.

Turns out "all vaux are shite".

Well, my one anyway.

No idea what caused it, slipped chain, worn rings, who knows?

Not scrapping it yet, just working out what to do for the best.

G

R

E

A

T

Just double check that compression test - just seems odd that sometimes it'll misfire and then it won't (if I've read that correctly?)

As said before, might be a pump issue or even a faulty injector. Would cause similar symptoms to a misfire etc.

Hope you get this sorted. Zafiras can't die. It's the law.

I assume the plug threads aren't buggered and so leaking out on the compression tester.

These cars are ten-a-penny and dirt cheap. Not worth bothering an engine change on this when a replacement can easily be had for not too different.

Ideally do a cylinder leakage test......easy to improvise if you have an air supply.........or nip the head off and have a look.

I certainly wouldn't change an engine for what might be only a valve problem

Well I had some good news today that I can take the vehicle down my new unit ASAP so one less headache about it as the tax has just run out and I didn't fancy leaving it in work as I'm quite new and they can apparently be quite funny.

So how does said leakage test work?

So annoying as the engine literally sounds silent.

Does head sound more plausible as there's zero compression on 3 cyl, put a bit of oil down it and you get 20psi maybe?

I'm not sure how far to go with it but as you said removing the head wouldn't be too stressful.

It's most likely scrap/replace beyond that and I think it's maybe not the best idea, not worth my time/money.

Dont waste another penny on it. Send it over the bridge and put your money towards something else.

Right now there's a 99% chance that's exactly what will happen but I may as well break a few bits that are worth something and scrap the rest, there's a brand new starter on it, lots of good bits that seemed reasonably quick selling second hand.

I'll pull the head of it (fnarr fnarr fnarr) more out of curiosity than anything else just to see what happened.

Genuinely can't be arsed to chase old cars like that Bren, I totally agree with what your saying.

I'm no expert in this at all, but doesn't a higher compression when wet means piston rings?

Yup. If oil helps then it's bore/rings/bloody great hole in the piston with a blocked crank breather.

2.2. Vauxhall. Engine issues. Bridge.

Any other deviation will end in tears,FTP and skintedness.

Good point, although I spent 4hrs and £100 (well £177 inc delivery) on an Astra 2.2 donor today.

Be too easy to just scrap it plus sadly I actually like it.

I know, the shame.

Donor also has a few other bits that mine need like tyres, better brakes etc.

It also has a perfect starter exactly 1 week after purchasing a brand new one.

Sigh.

Still I'll have loads of spares for when it fails* again.

* will now most likely last beyond everything else.

But if putting oil in the bore takes it from 0 to 20 psi then there's something far worse than a sticky ring ( oooer )

Oh aye, I had more compression than that in a Disco that had a gouge about 1x0.5" wide & 1/8" deep in the bore.

It'll be a burnt valve. Bridge forthwith, cut the cat off, keep the fuel and battery, forget the rest. U Pull It stick these straight into the crusher now because no bugger buys anything off them.

If you have the room, wait for a free listing day one Ebay and list every part of it. You might sell something from it*

Good luck with the engine swap on this, our kid.

It's weird how the usefulness of an MPV encourages forgiveness of FTP's. I'm not parting with my Estima any time soon. That's in the UK with most of the fleet, but I'm considering a cheap* 7-seater here in the foreign, and early Zafs have caught my eye, particularly these 2.2's, very much sold as a premium product. Having read some comments above about this 2.2 lump, should I be reconsidering? Are they as much a liability as the 2.2TD Estima is reputed to be?