ZAFFFF-EEEERRRRAA OF DESTINY, heart transplant, works well!!!!

vaughant

So, having a quick look at life and money etc I decided that as I'm now working back on terra firma in blighty after many years of being either offshore or abroad I'd try a few years of working on land, actually being home for Christmas etc.

However after securing a room rent in my second home of Swindon I've concluded a few things.

- I'm only actually requiring 3/4 days a week accommodation yet paying for 7

- I'm barely there

- I have all the facilities I need in work

- I literally drive around at night to chat to the Mrs etc as there's pretty much no signal at the house and the landlord is CONSTANTLY there despite saying he'd only be there occasionally.

So I started thinking of getting a caravan etc even a motor home but the latter is quite an expensive investment and a pain to lug around.

So I then turned to new cars on lease, estates, something to bunk down for a couple of nights if needed and look into a cheap b&b for when it gets a bit much (remember I'm only 2hrs away and travel home at least once midweek) and there's some great deals out there, I was looking up to say £200 a month for a Derv estate.

Bearing that in mind and in true autoshite style went to the auctions and ended up buying a 52 plate vauxhall Zafira for under £500 with a scarce history and slow starter, probably just a fubared battery eh*.

WCPGW?

post-20636-0-19036400-1482659940_thumb.png

So off I set for the "greatest journey" to Witney from Swindon, a mental 24 miles 😬😬😬😬

However I found out the night before that there's no actual direct connection between the two, train to Oxford and then bus accross, I'd have thought Dai Cameron would at least have got the train station reopened when he was PM ??

Ah well.

And........

There she is!!!!

post-20636-0-55924400-1482660151_thumb.jpegpost-20636-0-55924400-1482660151_thumb.jpeg

Oooooooh is that a GENUINE IRMSHURRRR SPLITTTA I spy? Shamazing?

And a genuine exhaust? Man alive this seems to be getting better and better!!!!

Ah

post-20636-0-57203900-1482660333_thumb.jpeg

Turned over like a slowest of slow thing but did eventually kick in and sounded sweet, warning computer telling me it had 8 miles range and low oil level so dealt with fuel first, £30 groats of 95 Ron, took it for a quick blast and was VERY pleasantly surprised, the 2.2 seems super torquey, had a great turn of pace down the A40, no nasty smells or noises, temp staying 80/90 ish, very pleased.

Got caught in a bit of traffic and she behaved well, starting to like it, getting used to the sloppy box (ooooh er missus) like all vaux's I've owned of this era.

Of course for the money she's not perfect (wouldn't be a shiter if it was) and the shitlist is as follows:

-battery* u/s (INCORRECT)

-starter u/s (CORRECT)

-rear passenger door has no electrickery to it and window wedged🤔🤔🤔

-box a bit sloppy

-not a load of history

-oil leak

-needs 2 front Tyres (worn inside)

The starter seemed to improve slightly over the first few days of lots of stop start motoring but after I drove it home for xmas it barely turned over in Cardiff waitrose and then when back in Swansea wouldn't turn at all.

Removed starter to find it packed with grease and 15 years worth of crud, tried cleaning it up and sorting out the brush gear but two broke off as it was literally the dirt holding them together, amazed it ever worked really!!!

Ordered a new starter with a nice eurocarparts xmas discount for £85 all in, I'm happy.

Pretty chuffed so far, looking forward to making a few changes and turning it into a "top gear" style weekday camper.

Merry xmas.

Yes imagine putting it up on piston heads 😂😂😂😂

"Why not just buy a vw t5 and convert it to a camper? You can pick an old banger up for £10k, spend £10k on it and sell it for...."

WELL UNDER 10 FUCKING K!!!!

Must say though I'm impressed with the vehicle, seems a lot bigger inside than outside, only 103k with all original dealer plates etc, chain seems quiet which I understand may have been a possible issue on these earlier models but the overall census is their a good bus.

She was up on the jack yesterday as I whipped the starter off (piece of piss on these) and fair play vaux got their rustproofing right on these, not a hint anywhere.

Surprising really as all vaux are shite etc

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Right I've a turkey to tend to, I wonder if I'll cook next years in the Zapph???

Me too. Well, a black one.

Money in the bank at the moment.

When to sell?

Yes certainly seems so, especially as I didn't give silly money for it either but like anything else I've spent/will spend a fortune on it.

Shell is pretty much mint though, no rot anywhere really and it's been stripped down a fair bit to view, I'm fancying it must have been a NOS ford shell at some point or just very well kept, can't even see any welding?

I had a 2wd one in the late 90's/early 00's that I ended up breaking as it was worth thruppence ha'penny at the time, moonstone with full leather, running high 200bhp, proper sideways machine, probably worth £1,000,000* now.

I'm getting an unit share in January and she's going to get "the treatment" then....

Mostly rust treatment I should imagine.

I also broke my old ebony one to build this as the shell was rotten on it so I've got a load of spares if you need anything? Mainly body/interior bits, leather/cloth etc.

More pics (right way up) of Zafira please, inside and out.

These Zafiras are actually alright despite the scumbag dole-dosser image they have. Like the deep front bumper, looks like some half-arsed attempt at modding.

I still rate cars as a piss-poor place to kip...

Agreed, as a 'plater' our company "encourage" us to kip in vehicles as to not add too much mileage by taking them home. We are offered a rate on top of the vehicle delivery rate to stop out at night but on the basis we either sort out accommodation on our own or get the office to find somewhere cheap enough for us.

I once tried sleeping in a small van and nearly froze to death, second time I tried kipping in an E-Klasse Mercedes. Again, shit place to sleep, uncomfortable, cold etc...

These days I just smudge the mileage and sod off home, if I can't, I'll get the office to sort me out a cheap Travelodge.

Zafiras do get a bad rep but judging by the amount of really neglected ones still soldiering on around here they must be fairly tough

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Yeah funny thing is literally after I'd bought it I walked out and saw three more in the car park 😂😂😂

I suppose their pretty basic mechanically, doesn't seem too much electrickery to go bang, CIM modules and related fuckery seem reserved for the "B" model.

Certainly autoshite territory, I did think about a sharan tdi but it sounded rough as a dog and was worse inside.

My first choice was a Chrysler grand voyager but the monies were a bit strong plus silly emissions meant £500 tax, ouch.

More pics (right way up) of Zafira please, inside and out.

These Zafiras are actually alright despite the scumbag dole-dosser image they have. Like the deep front bumper, looks like some half-arsed attempt at modding.

Yes no idea why they do that on this forum? Maybe because iPhone?

Apparently an irmscher item along with the twin square exhaust?

MOAR POWAHH AND STYLLLEEEZZZZ .

Shall be watching this fred with interest as I too have one of these that I rescued from being immnent scrapyard fodder.

z3_zps9lc97wer.jpg

Off for it's first M.o.T since 2015 in a couple of weeks.

That indeed is an Irmscher front splitter and the exhaust is very similar to the Astras and Vectras of that vintage.

I take it being a 2.2 it's got cruise as well? Top buyage!

Shall be watching this fred with interest as I too have one of these that I rescued from being immnent scrapyard fodder.

z3_zps9lc97wer.jpg

Off for it's first M.o.T since 2015 in a couple of weeks.

That indeed is an Irmscher front splitter and the exhaust is very similar to the Astras and Vectras of that vintage.

I take it being a 2.2 it's got cruise as well? Top buyage!

That looks ace!!!

Yes cruise included in the sale price, I only found out what it was t'other day when I started noticing it accelerating along by itself after I'd been constantly attempting to reset the trip mileage.

Hadn't noticed the plastic plunger found on ALL OTHER CARS near enough

Yes seems a good un so far, no obvious suppliers of brushes for starting motor however I shall take a look in work and see if we have anything that can be fettled to fit, seems a shame to scrap off a perfectly good starter otherwise.

Brand new one ordered but never harms to get a spare.

I think generally well bought, the shit list isn't TOO bad and as stated previously I'm actually enjoying driving.

New workshop in the new year so she'll get a full service etc then.

They look solid so I think yours will fly the mot.

So after getting me home and the starter failing I took it off Xmas eve as you do and found it pretty much packed with grease 😩😩

Despite a good clean as soon as I dismantled it two brushes just broke off, time being of the essence a new one was ordered from euro for £85 which I thought was fair.

However with the festivities etc collection was not available until the 28th of Dec, ironically the day I was due back into work for a 3 day shutdown and I work in Swindon 120 miles away starting at 6am.

Cockbollox.

This left me with little option so I thought sod it, take the boys new merc, do shift, collect starter, drive home, fit on drive with a big light, no biggie.

Boy is visiting uncle in Nottingham and limited train service means he's taking his car.

MORECOCKBOLLOX.

So I have no option, take zafira with no starter motor in it, not even bolted in place,

WCPGW???

After taping up the connections and bumping it all was fine, just don't stall it, PLEASE don't stall it !!

Once up and moving all was ok, car park would be quiet so restarting it would be easy, started to relax, happy days.

OMGMISSFIREKAOS.

I get to Bridgend and the EML starts flashing frantically, low power, down to about 60, can feel it seriously misfiring.

WHY DID I BOTHER GETTING UP?

So, 420am, no starter, car missing badly, can't see the AA being able to do much other than recover me to a garage, missing a shift in work on an already tight deadline plus being a contractor, nae monies.

FUC'N GR8 M6.

BUT,

it was still running sort of, so I thought, in for a penny in for a pound, let's just keep it moving.

It chugged along for a mile or two at 60, I dipped the clutch and it died, but restarted ok (in transit), seemed a bit better, back up to 80 on the flat, EML still flashing which then dawned on me that this had been on constantly for the last 5/6 years (mot history backs it up) and most likely removing the battery terminals had cleared it.

As the miles racked up, the miss disappeared, EML stopped flashing but soon came back on and miss reappeared.

To be fair, it got me to work ok, I planned ahead and parked it outside the rental room and took the ka for the last bit.

So changed starter in the street, lying in leaves, on a freezing foggy December day with only a constantly failing iPhone 4s for light, frozen hands etc but despite that it did work ok, started it up, still missing like a pig.

Read codes, cylinder 3 misfire.

T'internweb seems to all point to coilpack, makes sense.

Euro want £100 which seems fair but I've seen a few for sale 2nd hand that maybe worth a gamble if it's something else?

Haven't ventured beyond checking anything else as my hands had literally frozen up.

Any ideas/suggestions of a suitable coilpack donor or bite the bullet and buy new?

I'm hoping then to actually enjoy the bloody thing!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Is it a pezzer? The meriva gave coil pack errors when the spark plugs died. Went into limp dick mode over 30mph, misfire on cylinder 2 or summat it gave me on torque

Yes sorry fella it is a PEZ.

That could well be what it is, I've only had the thing a week before Xmas so not had a chance to service it yet.

Perhaps I'll sort the basics first and hope that cures/helps it. No doubt if the ecu shut down the coil signal to cyl 3 because it didn't like something or the pack failed plug 3 will be fubared now as well.

Either way it's nothing too major as pretty much after Newport it was spinning back up to 90/100 with consummate ease!!!

Hers is a 1.6 16v, read a misfire on one cylinder, so I had the plugs out and one was utterly fucked. New plugs later (cheap ecp ones) had it fine. The tip was missing off the plug in question.

I think it's the coil pack if the code jumps around the coils, so read it and note the cylinder, clear it and drive until it comes on, read the code, note the cylinder and clear etc. If it jumps around on most of them it's the coil pack. They weren't too expensive on ebay, but obv there's a risk buying from there.

Good luck anyway!

I had a 2.2 Vectra which if it's the same engine had pretty severe misfires when under load and which turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump which was breaking down under load and couldn't supply enough fuel to keep the rail pressure up. That displayed as various cylinder misfires but was only cured by rebuilding the fuel pump. Google 'Vauxhall 2.2 direct injection fuel pump problems' for plenty of reading.

If you do put a new coil pack on, I'd replace the sparks (or at least check) while you're at it. Poorly plugs kill coilpacks.

Fingers crossed it's not the fabled high pressure fuel pump giving up the ghost. I dislike direct injection petrols for the same reason why modern common rail engines are shit when they go wrong. Give me an indirect multi-port injection petrol engine anyday over one.