Jaguar XJ6 - X300 or X308 flavours

Steve79

Hi, after my safrane expired today due to excessive headgasket consumption, I feel myself in the need of another Jaguar XJ6 or XJ8 (X300 or X308)

I'm not fussy about engine size or model (although full leather is absolute must)

I've had a '96 3.2 sport previously which had many faults (clearly haven't learnt my lesson) but I still love them all the same.

Bodywork doesn't have to be perfect but don't want anything where I can see daylight through the drivers side floor or footwell.

Decent MOT is preferable.

Mileage up to around 150k fine.

I'm in Bristol and don't mind travelling to collect.

Needs to be under £700.

Yep, definitely have a lot of love for them. I had plenty of electrical issues with my last one but then for £200 what was I expecting.

Seen a lovely '97 plate 3.2 executive in antiga blue with every option inc front and rear heated seats and heated front screen not far from me but he wants £895 which the tight arse in me says is too much, but is it?

I have been given first dibs on a '99 Cadillac Seville STS, 305bhp, one owner, FSH, 4.6 northstar V8 which is much further away but the headgasket horror stories is putting me off.

Probably better off with a Jag, possibly?

Seen a lovely '97 plate 3.2 executive in antiga blue with every option inc front and rear heated seats and heated front screen not far from me but he wants £895 which the tight arse in me says is too much, but is it?

Go and have a look, then bang the 700 sovs down in cold.   Its Christmas so possibly a quiet time for people buying cars, if his not had much interest then he might take it.  You're not a million miles off.

Don't go for the toy engined 3.2. If you're not gonna go for the 4.0 don't buy a Jaaaag.

I know what you mean. I feel like with me 4.0 I have golf club bragging rights (in 1997). It's nice telling your mates you have a 4.0 V8, and the insurance for a 3.2 is about the same for a 4.0 anyway.

To be fair to the 3.2 V8 however, they feel almost as quick as my old 4.0 six did.

To be honest the 3.2 i had before drove nicely and never felt underpowered, and i like the fact that its got the mechanically controlled box so no electrickery to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong though, i'll not kick a 4-litre out of bed if one comes along within my price range 😎

• 2 weeks later...

On my third 3.2, a v8 following two straight six models. Whilst I love the sound of a six cylinder the v8 is very quiet and refined, being pretty swift in sport mode when needed. These later v8 models benefitted from Fords money and so are more resolved in terms of design, fit and finish, especially the lovely dash. I cannot think of a more gracious car on the road today and it always makes you feel special, even more so when you picked it up for less than £350.