Camembert flavoured Safrane - £6 a ticket - updated list page 7

RobT

• 2 weeks later...

Boring update time. Cheap centre and rear exhaust boxes were fitted this week, and fingers crossed they seem OK. Fitting them was a bit of a faff according to my mechanic (the legend that is Les at BL transverse) but they were worth a punt as the rear section alone was £170 from some places. I got the pair for £55. It's as silent as a fish now, lovely!

Took it to the jiz wash last night then did a bit of trim treatment today, just to spruce it up a bit.

post-5013-0-38682000-1485638059_thumb.jpeg

First time I've given the interior a clean, and I noticed a few neat details

post-5013-0-37288200-1485638240_thumb.jpeg

Lights for the rear passengers. Don't work though.

post-5013-0-05646500-1485638272_thumb.jpeg

I know it's only a seat belt height adjustor, but I like the chunkiness of it. Plus it has a nice light action.

post-5013-0-49485900-1485638515_thumb.jpeg

I've used it a fair bit this week and it's been unnervingly reliable. The plan was to roffle it off next month but I'm starting to wonder whether to get shot of the Jag instead, as I can't really justify two big waftomatics. The frenchie is more comfortable too, even if progress is somewhat sedate.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not this

post-5013-0-84291200-1486419051_thumb.jpeg

Although I have just bought the DVD to remind myself how awful it was. ITV 80s shite comedy FTW.

But plenty of these

post-5013-0-16231000-1486419404_thumb.jpeg

Some containing piles of shit, both animal and automotive

post-5013-0-39092800-1486419464_thumb.jpeg

Others with ruddy great windmills

post-5013-0-09300400-1486419966_thumb.jpeg

As mentioned in the News 24 thread, I took the Eurotunnel over to France yesterday evening. About to board....

post-5013-0-77893100-1486420196_thumb.jpeg

It's the first time I've done this and it's flippin' brilliant! The tunnel has only been open what, 20 years or so, so it's about bloody time I used the thing. 60 quid return at this time of year is a no brainer, much less faff than the ferry. Anyway, I stayed overnight in an ibis close to the tunnel exit and managed not to get lost. I then proceeded to eat a massive steak around 9.30pm which meant my guts were grinding all night. Net result was 3 hours sleep max, so I wasn't feeling too fresh this morning. I still hammered the all-you-can-eat breakfast though obviously.

Basic plan was to just drive, do a few stops at some scenic places, with an ultimate destination of Saint Valery Sur Somme, 70 miles south of Calais. So I set off around 10am and first stop was a place called Wissant, not far from the infamous Sangatte (which itself is an OK coastal village).

Nice beach. You can see Dover on a clear day, which this wasn't.

post-5013-0-36077600-1486420892_thumb.jpeg

Lots of driving then ensued on coasal roads and fast D-roads, or whatever they call them. Northern France appears to have plenty of tat dotted about as I spotted loads of stuff, not all documented otherwise I'd never have got anywhere. Being near Geneva in January visiting family I was disappointed in my tat haul. But as brother-in-law pointed out, it's mostly just rich Genevan twats driving moderns where he lives.

Destination reached.

post-5013-0-04047800-1486421360_thumb.jpeg

Some spots

post-5013-0-71005800-1486421454_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-43119200-1486421494_thumb.jpeg

Giffer in a hat driving off.

post-5013-0-16960600-1486421542_thumb.jpeg

Zoom deployed to get this, hence the fuzzy furtive pic. This is the trims my Safrane should be on. Impure thoughts crossed my mind...!

post-5013-0-43730500-1486421699_thumb.jpeg

This was brilliant. Exhaust hanging at a jaunty angle and looking rough, supèrbe.

post-5013-0-05893000-1486421768_thumb.jpeg

It was then time to head back for my 18.50 crossing, which involved the bit of non-peage autoroute above Boulogne which was BORING but dead easy in the Safrane with the cruise set.

Allowing for the time difference I was back home by 19.30 and don't feel too bad, apart from a slightly numb arse. Talking of which, here's a pic of some Big BUTs

post-5013-0-87638800-1486422073_thumb.jpeg

So, how did the Safrane do. Well, I was a bit anxious the bugger wouldn't start on the crossing over, but the non-starting issue from last month seems to have resolved itself. 280odd miles at 34mpg according to the trip computer isn't too bad, considering it's only a 2.0 pez auto in a fairly big lump of a car. When hoofed it can shift but the sound isn't pleasant, and my main gripe is the slushbox can be a tad indecisive. I thought it might be due the 'box being knackered or something but reading a review by Keith Adams he also found the same. It's lovely and quiet on the autoroute, but on this trip the front suspension has started to creak a bit, and my cheap new exhaust is also making noises (like a baffle has come loose which is a right pisser, but never mind).

Back to work tomorrow, great. Thought I best type up my road trip report tonight, as dollops of CBA will set in no doubt. I'll just leave Anton Rodgers to say "yes, a jolly good day was had. Must do it again some time..."

post-5013-0-11907000-1486422903_thumb.gif

I'm wondering if Mason and the Camembert Safrane have swapped personalities?

This certainly appears to be performing at LS400-levels of dull reliability, while Mason happily harbours ample electrical gremlins.

What a thing. I reminded my mum about her Safrane RXE the other day and she said 'I don't need reminding, that was the most comfiest car I've ever owned in my life'.

Nice update Rob,pleased the Safrane served you well and it hasn,t been a flop...

Finding a Phase 1 in the UK is very hard now,i do fancy another V6 RXE to join my one,just think,find an early one and you get computer controlled suspension,electric split rear seats,electric steering column,double DIN stereo etc,lots of toys to go wrong,be brave folks and buy a Safrane phase 1 or play safe with a phase 2,but nowhere near as many toys to go wrong...

The easy option

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-RENAULT-SAFRANE-RXE-2-5V-EXEC-AUT-BLACK-CLASSIC-EXPORT-LUXURY-rare-/322406187393?hash=item4b10e80181:g:yuIAAOSwt5hYjec7

^^^That's exactly my thoughts. Silver might be a boring colour these days, but in this instance it helps to show off the purity of the pre-facelift model. I bet the phase 2 is better having the 2.5, but the rear light clusters just look wrong.

I'm wondering if Mason and the Camembert Safrane have swapped personalities?

This certainly appears to be performing at LS400-levels of dull reliability, while Mason happily harbours ample electrical gremlins.

It does seem that way, so naturally I'm pondering whether to sell it. I keep looking at Espaces on leboncoin, but then look at my bank account and think better of it!

• 1 month later...

Another trip out in the Safrane this week. Not France this time, but not far off. I'm in The Fifth Continent - Romney Marsh. Weather has been lovely for a stroll along the shingle at Dungeness. Here's the motor parked up in the vast expanse.

post-5013-0-06099300-1489528796_thumb.jpeg

I'm staying overnight to do some more walking tomorrow. This isn't my B&B but I thought it had a certain photogenic quality i.e. a bit grim.

post-5013-0-16814200-1489529018_thumb.jpeg

I'm in a dilemma with the Safrane though. My idea was to sell it and buy another waftomatic as there's so much chod out there I want to try. But it's comfortable, a great motorway cruiser, rare and obscure enough to be interesting, and quite a handsome thing too. I do find it slightly underpowered, and the gearbox can be annoying, but the niggles it had seem to have settled down with regular use so it drives better than ever (the few issues that remain I can live with). Seems silly to get rid of a car that's working fine really....

• 3 weeks later...

Not only that, it is mine. Even though the article is only 2 days old they've based it on a classified that's 6 months old, or thereabouts. I toyed with the idea of buying it then, but ended up getting it from a guy in Norfolk for £250. Cheap, but then rarity doesn't always equate to ££!

First time I've given the interior a clean, and I noticed a few neat details

attachicon.gifgetPart-3.jpeg

Lights for the rear passengers. Don't work though.

attachicon.gifgetPart-4.jpeg

Yeah the front light behind the mirror is a clever little trick. What you'll find is that you can drive your safrane with the entire cabin lit up at night and still see the road with perfect visibility. It's totally awesome (and yes i've done it many times). The light in the middle of the ceiling has a shade on the front of it so that the windscreen doesn't reflect it.. but it lights up the rear of the car nicely. The safranes interior lighting is a very clever setup. Everyone i've ever transported in one at night has been surprised at how pleasant it is.

The rear lights.. either your bulbs have gone or the fuse has but I think they share a fuse with something else so i'm guessing it maybe the bulbs. They don't light up when the door opens though, only when you turn them on/off via the switch manually. They're worth fixing though as they're another cool toy that impresses and again you can comfortably drive along in the dark with them turned on. The only problem you're going to run into is parts. They're like chickens teeth from dealers now. If you like the car then keep it.. but just be warned that if something critical breaks you're going to struggle a bit unless you turn to someone who has a stash like 25v6turbo.