Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Range Rover resto - 93 Daily goes for an MoT Page 12

Project

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#331 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

Very good wondered what was happening in my barn as I ferried over beers and cooked dinners!

good grief Fathathestag has made it in. must have been bored.

I reckon 50% of the costs so far are in consumables. cutting discs, welding gas, gin and beer

• Asimo likes this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#332 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

latest project update.

Been at home over the last week or so doing home stuff.

Yesterday I managed to steal some time away to go over the cars wiring loom.

It breaks down into three manageable chunks,

Bulkhead and front lights

Rear of car

Engine loom

First job was to remove all additional wiring, there was a load of relays n stuff that I had no idea about.

Next was then to identify damaged components and fix

Lastly was to clean it all and label the ends to aid me when it goes back into the car in a couple of weeks.

The main part of the loom here is the bulkhead section. The engine loom and rear looms connect to it via multconnector plugs

20180602_131543.jpg

found a few in line fuses which would be well hidden behind the dash when installed. hmmmm factory job! Thats nice of them isnt it

20180602_131656.jpg

Cleaning was easy using these things

20180602_203258.jpg

identifying what wire does what was less easy mainly because a complete loom diagram for a RR is quite hard to come by. my Haynes ROM is in Devon and my expensive boughgt manual set doesnt include it.

Found a plan online but needed a magnifying glass to be able to read it

20180602_171421.jpg

this shows two branches of the loom on the engine bay side of the bulkhead. before and after cleaning if you like

20180602_180441.jpg

All done

20180602_184336.jpg

Rear loom is butchered, working out next steps

20180602_203251.jpg

Engine loom has a lot of heat damaged wires

Watch this space if you dare

• danthecapriman, Banger Kenny, TagoraSX and 7 others like this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

#333 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

Gotta love factory fitted hidden fuses. Normally the same ones not mentioned in any manuals etc too.

• richardthestag likes this

#334 OFFLINE   Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Momentary Lapse Of Reason

• Full Members
  • 207 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

T'were newfangled technology for Land Rover, them thar fuzes - not too sure where to put 'em!

#335 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

T'were newfangled technology for Land Rover, them thar fuzes - not too sure where to put 'em!

series IIa landie made do with 1 well 2 if you had an interior light

These early Rangies had 3 fuse fusebox on the bulkhead - luxury, all 25amp blow rating which confuses lots of folk these days who fit 25amp constant rating fuses which probably blow fnarr at 35amp plus.

since found another 2 behind the dash area, one is for option heated rear window and the other is for the radio feed

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#336 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,889 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

These early Rangies had 3 fuse fusebox on the bulkhead - luxury, all 25amp blow rating which confuses lots of folk these days who fit 25amp constant rating fuses which probably blow fnarr at 35amp plus.

since found another 2 behind the dash area, one is for option heated rear window and the other is for the radio feed

What are you planning to do? Leave them as standard, or run them to a more easily accessible location / separate fuse box?

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'99 Land Rover Discovery ES V8

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#337 OFFLINE   Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Momentary Lapse Of Reason

• Full Members
  • 207 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Landie owners electrical work - You've just got to luve it*

(brake light switch wiring as found)

P1000732.JPG

• chodweaver likes this

#338 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

On the project not a whole lot has happened, big boys Le Mans, family stuff etc etc has all got in the way of any serious progress.

I have been dragging lumps of loom out and tidying, wrapping, replacing terminals and stuff. all courtesy of vehicle wiring products .

this got me to a problem in that a wedge of the wire ends are corroded, even under undisturbed insulation. I think that because of the hatchet job of splicing towbar electrics into the rear loom it all went a bit high resistance and while there is no sign of burnt loom the copper core has suffered.

there is good continuity BUT no way is solder going to stick to this

20180623_170018.jpg  

I googled and found that the ends can be cleaned with vinegar and salt, which worked but time consuming and still no solder.

Eventually found that wet and dry paper on the bare strands got them shiny, followed by a dip in plumbers flux got the solder on very neatly indeed. All of these connections need bullets soldering on - all of which is conveniently 200 miles away from me

20180623_170639.jpg

This lump is the blank for the passenger side of the bulkhead where the loom passes through. to be stripped, cleaned and painted ready for it all to go back.

20180701_170905.jpg

in a nutshell the dash loom and front end loom is done and ready to fit.

the rear end loom needs binding and bullets soldering but otherwise ready to fit

the engine loom has some very crunchy cables, mainly the section that runs through the engine v to ignition and temp senders etc, all of this is being cut back to where it is healthy and new wires are being spliced in. should be finished this weekend.

• Bucketeer, Sigmund Fraud and Exiled_Tat_Gatherer like this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#339 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 836 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

this got me to a problem in that a wedge of the wire ends are corroded, even under undisturbed insulation. I think that because of the hatchet job of splicing

there is good continuity BUT no way is solder going to stick to this

attachicon.gif20180623_170018.jpg

I googled and found that the ends can be cleaned with vinegar and salt, which worked but time consuming and still no solder.

Eventually found that wet and dry paper on the bare strands got them shiny, followed by a dip in plumbers flux got the solder on very neatly indeed. All of these connections need bullets soldering on - all of which is conveniently 200 miles away from me

On the project not a whole lot has happened, big boys Le Mans, family stuff etc etc has all got in the way of any serious progress.

I'm wondering if some serious flux like Bakers would work (assuming you can still get it).

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#340 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

In other news the Daily has been getting some very long overdue attention

wayward handling that has been bugging me turned out to be rear shocks. 

aside from looking a bit shit, they compress very easily, and when they pop back out again they don'd even go to the same length

20180707_123824.jpg

luckily* I had a pair of nearly new shocks on my last RR which I scrapped 12 years ago. these compress but only by me putting my full weight on them. they also both extend smoothly back to the same length each. here is old and even older for comparison. the yellow ones are going back on.

Cost me nowt* ok actually cost me a B&Q special Angle Grinder at £25 because the bottom nut refused to shift on the fucked dampers and it was getting on for 30 degrees

20180707_115604.jpg

while doing this I noticed that one rear pad was getting a bit low.

Also noticed this...! this is after 10 seconds of attention from Land Rover special tool #1 (and not even a big hammer or used aggressively)

20180707_102908.jpg

they went on nearly 4 years ago, still plenty of meat left on the thickness but a tap of a hammer made the outer shiny surface break away. errr

20180711_174134.jpg

New discs and hub seals ordered

which arrived Tuesday, yay high 20s and disc replacement. sweated like a pig I can tell you

• John F, Sigmund Fraud, Hooli and 1 other like this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#341 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Is that the disc crumbling? eek if so.

#342 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

Finished disc install last night before the footy, here in a nutshell is RR rear disc replacement in a handful of easy steps.

1. pull pads, undo caliper retaining bolts, undo 5 bolts holding drive plate to hub (5 bolts in middle of this pic) with draw drive shaft

20180707_102908.jpg

2.then undo the bearing nuts, big buggers that need a box spanner Land Rover special tool #2 (freely available from any landie seller worth their weight) ok this is a new disc, it was hot and I wasnt in thee mood for piccies. you can see the big nuts and tab washer that locks them

20180711_180954.jpg

3. manoeuvre the caliper out of the way with one hand while pulling the disc and hub off the stub axle carrier with other. then rest the caliper back in place to save stressing the pipework

20180711_174112.jpg

4. again an assembly pic BUT next you remove the ABS ring. secured by 5 10mm nylocks seen here. the ring hides the disc to hub bolts so MUST come out first

20180711_175256.jpg

5. undo the hub to disc bolts, while they only go in at 60ft lb they are a bastard to undo. top trick, install hub into rim, the studs hold it in place while you go medieval on the bolts

20180711_174108.jpg

bang the disc with a hammer while holding the hub and they will seperate

20180711_174331.jpg

6. clean the mating face of the hub so it is grit free, install the disc and torque it up

20180711_175202.jpg

7. install abs ring

20180711_175252.jpg

8. clean inside face of disc using brake cleaner. also fit new hub seal, after inspecting bearings 

20180711_175753.jpg

9. slip hub back onto stub axle. one hand to manoeuvre caliper to the side while pushing the hub and disc home. fit caliper bolts and torque to 60 ftlb, lube and install front bearing, nut, tab washer and lock nut.

after a good clean of the pistons, mine need replacing. job for august lever the buggers back in using a jemmy but NOT a load of force, if they dont slide back in easily then they will hardly slip out when you press the brake pedal.

20180711_180954.jpg

10. fit pads, driveshaft - with gasket and wheel

90mins per side, would probably work faster when it isnt high 20s and I should be in the hammock or something like that.

Anyway MoT today and can haz pass, two monitor and repair if Nec for corroded brake pipes which will all be done later this year and 1 for oil leak ... fucking lol

• Bucketeer, Sigmund Fraud, dave21478 and 2 others like this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#343 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

Is that the disc crumbling? eek if so.

yes! worrying eh? almost like they are a 2 part process. the disc and then a hardened surface that has very clearly failed. No idea where these came from but I dont fuck about with budget parts when it comes to brakes

• Hooli likes this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#344 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • 118 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

It's not what you want to see that's for sure!

Nice to see where the ABS rings are too, my Disco didn't have that.

#345 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 710 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

That eel-egg-trizitee stuff gives me the willies....... I have to look at a Z31 loom I've lumped into a plastic container at some point..... no-fuggin-way will it run again without help - I just know it.

Excellent patience dude - are you sticking with original colouring throughout? Surely the wiring to replace all the bits, buying all the different rolls etc..., must add up a fair bit?

#346 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

That eel-egg-trizitee stuff gives me the willies....... I have to look at a Z31 loom I've lumped into a plastic container at some point..... no-fuggin-way will it run again without help - I just know it.

Excellent patience dude - are you sticking with original colouring throughout? Surely the wiring to replace all the bits, buying all the different rolls etc..., must add up a fair bit?

kind of, salvaging a chunk of the correct colour code for the end bit with the terminal. then splicing in generic white / whatever and binding it. so start and end will be correct and middle section wont be seen.

else like you say would cost me a smoll fortune. I also have a 1980s loom that I may strip down for component parts

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users