Finished disc install last night before the footy, here in a nutshell is RR rear disc replacement in a handful of easy steps.
1. pull pads, undo caliper retaining bolts, undo 5 bolts holding drive plate to hub (5 bolts in middle of this pic) with draw drive shaft
2.then undo the bearing nuts, big buggers that need a box spanner Land Rover special tool #2 (freely available from any landie seller worth their weight) ok this is a new disc, it was hot and I wasnt in thee mood for piccies. you can see the big nuts and tab washer that locks them
3. manoeuvre the caliper out of the way with one hand while pulling the disc and hub off the stub axle carrier with other. then rest the caliper back in place to save stressing the pipework
4. again an assembly pic BUT next you remove the ABS ring. secured by 5 10mm nylocks seen here. the ring hides the disc to hub bolts so MUST come out first
5. undo the hub to disc bolts, while they only go in at 60ft lb they are a bastard to undo. top trick, install hub into rim, the studs hold it in place while you go medieval on the bolts
bang the disc with a hammer while holding the hub and they will seperate
6. clean the mating face of the hub so it is grit free, install the disc and torque it up
7. install abs ring
8. clean inside face of disc using brake cleaner. also fit new hub seal, after inspecting bearings
9. slip hub back onto stub axle. one hand to manoeuvre caliper to the side while pushing the hub and disc home. fit caliper bolts and torque to 60 ftlb, lube and install front bearing, nut, tab washer and lock nut.
after a good clean of the pistons, mine need replacing. job for august lever the buggers back in using a jemmy but NOT a load of force, if they dont slide back in easily then they will hardly slip out when you press the brake pedal.
10. fit pads, driveshaft - with gasket and wheel
90mins per side, would probably work faster when it isnt high 20s and I should be in the hammock or something like that.
Anyway MoT today and can haz pass, two monitor and repair if Nec for corroded brake pipes which will all be done later this year and 1 for oil leak ... fucking lol
Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed
Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake
Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner
Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold
Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon
Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just
Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration
Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration
Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me
BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues