Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Range Rover resto - 1972 project updates p16

Project

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

Interestingly (or not!) the high volume pump I installed on my original early cover had slightly taller gears than the OE later setup. Only by a mm or so, so unlikely to make much of a difference but enough to stop me fitting them to the later cover when I changed that!

Bt of a tangent but as AS's resident Rover V8 expert, do you know of a UK source of (cheap!) alternative rocker covers apart from the usual Rover types? Not so much to 'dress up' the engine, more to dress it down. I was thinking of fitting a pair of Buick steel covers, mainly just to fox anyone looking under the bonnet!

https://www.ebay.com...rs/192724265476

P76 would do the trick as well but reckon I'd be lucky to find anything over here.

I found exactly the same, high"er" volume pump gears are nearly 2mm taller than the big gears. 

just means that if you need to replace the gears you need to buy a whole new kit at £90 + vat rather than the big gears for a standard post 76 cover which are nearer £30.

Car now has a post 76 cover on it which matches the engine number to save that confusion. I notice that Famous Four are supplying the smoll oil pump gears, might just try a set of those and do away with the adapter plate on the early engine cover.

Sorry but I have no idea on alternate rocker covers. I am looking for a set of covers for an early 70s engine so at least it looks the part, round corners and filler 2" or so back from the corner. everything on ebay has been powder coated which I do not want.

Also on the search for any engines number starting 355. 

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Hyundai i10 2010 newbee - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - sold to Hooli

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

VW Polo 2002 1.2l 3 pot bargain for #2 son

Renna Clio Expression+ 16v Barg for #3 son

#482 ONLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Sorry but I have no idea on alternate rocker covers. I am looking for a set of covers for an early 70s engine so at least it looks the part, round corners and filler 2" or so back from the corner. everything on ebay has been powder coated which I do not want.

No worries, if I ever find some alternatives I will have a set of the early ones surplus to requirements. They seem to confuse some people looking at it anyway "Doesn't look quite like a Rover V8 to me" I have heard!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users