Autoshite Grand Tourers

They_all_do_that_sir

Define Grand Touring ?  Do you mean sitting on a motorway at 120mph with barely enough time in the schedule to stop for a pee at the Autoroute's services,  or   do you mean enjoying the journey with good friends.,  taking the time to see the scenery.,  stopping occasionally for a fine pipe  or to make a cup of English tea besides a bubbling stream.,  before winding your way through the pleasant villages & countryside and half way up the mountainside to a rather splendid little chateau ?   ..Grand Touring as used to be when the phrase was first coined.  :rolleyes:  

Grand  translates to Big, as in ; enjoying the journey over exceptional distance and wonderous diversity. Nothing to do with how big your fuel pump is !

^ I drove my 3.3 ltr V6 Chrysler Voyager LWB auto down to Slovenia, where I was working at the time, and took with me books on audio - because I knew I'd be bored driving.  Blue-Grey metallic, with blue-grey interior.  "Effortless, pretty, airy, cosmopolitan, roomy, comfortable, and still largely undesirable (not to me) shite, Every box ticked".  A truly superb and effortless vehicle - which didn't get near touching my soul.  :blink2:

I did exactly the same journey in my little ol' Daimler V8.., and it was a very pleasant journey indeed. The car was much admired through every town we visited and it seemed as if other drivers were especially courteous. In black with chrome wires, with cream leather and walnut dashboard - she was lovely. :wub: 

The car added to the journey. It was not just the means of comfortable & efficient conveyance.

I think Norfolk's just won the thread with that SLC.   Effortless, pretty, airy, cosmopolitan, roomy, comfortable, and still largely undesirable (not to me) shite,   Every box ticked.

No I'd say the Dvee8's Daimler is clearly ahead on 'likes'.   :D

..and which must be shite because it's not the Jaguar 3.8 with a Granny Ford chasing it !

No I'd say the Dvee8's Daimler is clearly ahead on 'likes'.   :D

..and which must be shite because it's not the Jaguar 3.8 with a Ford Granada chasing it !

Yes but Dvee8s Daimler and your jag have too many doors vs the original posters requirements, there for cant be included.

Modern shite GT, an SC430 might count. They look awful but could cover continents with ease with the Toyota V8 and the seats are soooo comfortable. The drawback is that you can only pack a spare pair of pants for the holiday due to tiny boot space.

^ yeah OK Ghostly I (almost) concede - That is a car I could really enjoy through the Alpine countries .. and with room enough for a box of cigars ;)

.. but is it a 'Grand Tourer' or just another stunningly attractive 'sports coupe' ?  ..of which there are many fine examples.

Where did I mention a constant 70mph and what's all this physicality required to drive a 2cv unless parking in a small space with cheapo tyres, worn steering and other nasties? Is your clutch cable made of salami, the chassis of dubious provenance, iffy brakes and a gearlever tube lubricated with oil? I is mystified, and massively enjoy driving both. The little Cits should be so light to operate, if pre-1986 and in good order. And even some of the last ones aren't that bad.

Neither car is a Grand Tourer. A Cit A-series is an oddity. A 124 is a humdrum saloon car/taxi made to high standards. Compared with a CX it's like an earnest, well-educated but hamfisted, angst-ridden teenage boy on his first date.

A Citroën SM is a GT.

The topic is about GT cars. Crossing Europe in a day or two. Try that in a 2cv and your ears will be ringing and nerves frayed. Physically you need to concentrate and plan well ahead, change gear frequently and be prepared for ignorant shits trying to park in the boot. Luggage for a fortnight plus space for ten cases of wine? Effortless is what make a GT . As in an sm not a 2cv.

You're ignored :-)

The topic is about GT cars. Crossing Europe in a day or two. Try that in a 2cv and your ears will be ringing and nerves frayed. Physically you need to concentrate and plan well ahead, change gear frequently and be prepared for ignorant shits trying to park in the boot. Luggage for a fortnight plus space for ten cases of wine? Effortless is what make a GT . As in an sm not a 2cv.

You're ignored :-)

:roll:

Well if a Sherman was good enough for Oddball.... ;)

"No more than 2 doors, must have had style, grace and some pace in its day. not overly sporty but should be reasonably involving to drive and make a nice noise."

^ Seems like the Sherman fits the bill, and even doesn't have too many doors to be classed as a GT.. 

Also well proven to drive across Europe !  ..and who the flock needs roads ?  :-D

Guest Breadvan72

I did a European Grand Tour in a Jensen Interceptor II, back in 2010.  London to the Abruzzo and back.  It was great fun.  The ideal grand tourer should waft you from one Martini to the next, with room for a blonde and her extensive luggage on board.  Sadly, Interceptors have since become mucho spenner.

Here is the car in Burgundy and in Umbria.

post-5528-0-39415800-1482786432_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-61367200-1482786449_thumb.jpg

Naturally, there was a good deal of this sort of thing:-

post-5528-0-24159300-1482786470_thumb.jpg

I also did a long tour in a Fiat Coupe Turbo, which was ace, and some manky Hyundai, which was crap.

Another option would be a late model Lotus Excel, but a rusty XJS is perhaps the most Autoshitey choice.

These seem nowhere near as expensive as I thought.

They also scare the shit out of me. I bet they are easy* to fix

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Parts can be buttock-clenchingly pricey.

Mechanically they're not much more complex than any other modern, electronically controlled motor, but some of the toys (especially the roof) can be complicated and over engineered - The car has 2 batteries, one for starting and a separate one for all the other shit.

The problem is that they are now very affordable, so a lot of folks buy them and neglect the servicing and maintenance. Try to find one with a solid service history and respectable amount of owners and you should be OK.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk