Volvo 740, interior headlining finished! Pg 23.

danthecapriman

It is nice!

Bit of a weird spec too.

Was air con an expensive option on these back then six-cylinder?

My saloon (87 E reg 2.3GLE auto) had A/C but you don't seem to see many 740's with it?

The USA 740 had a 940 dash that was strange, it also had cruise control only a dealer fit option on a UK.

In the UK a/c on 740GLE was an expensive, rare option and 10-12 weeks delivery. I remember one customer who wanted it quickly and we had it after market fitted on a 740GL Saloon.

The first gold 740GLE estate auto we owned in 1999 was an 88 model with factory a/c.

The grey 740GLE we have now has after market a/c but not working.

There were other anomalies like a 1986 760 Turbo Auto had standard a/c but a manual did not even though it had an a/c position marked on the heater panel.

Yeah, it’s one of those weird options like the velour seats that nobody much seems to go for.

Annoyingly I don’t have any price lists, just a few brochures (87 saloon, 87 estate, 1990 and a few other various Volvo bits like 1993 accessories) so o can’t even look far into it.

I do have a lot of Volvo brochures, but they are boxed up in our loft. One day I will try to dig some out. I may even have some dealer information stuff.

I do have a lot of Volvo brochures, but they are boxed up in our loft. One day I will try to dig some out. I may even have some dealer information stuff.

If you do ever dig them out, post them up. I'd be interested to see them.

Do you know why some cars ended up (seemingly randomly?) with ally lower arms and different ARB link pins?

Seems odd that most seem to have cast iron arms yet the odd one got ally. Mines got ally ones weirdly. Why did they bother designing and manufacturing two different types for very little benefit?

Do you know why some cars ended up (seemingly randomly?) with ally lower arms and different ARB link pins?

Seems odd that most seem to have cast iron arms yet the odd one got ally. Mines got ally ones weirdly. Why did they bother designing and manufacturing two different types for very little benefit?

I am sorry I can't answer the arms question. I was on the sale side.

Did you know 760 and 740 were built in different factories, 740 Belgium 760 Sweden.

+1, I'd like to see a 1986 brochure as all the cars in my '87 brochure have 15" wheels.

Glad I've seen this as I need an ARB.

+1, I'd like to see a 1986 brochure as all the cars in my '87 brochure have 15" wheels.

Glad I've seen this as I need an ARB.

Yes, check which type you've got first!

My old one had the cast iron type arms so I assumed all were the same and bought a pair of new link rods and bushes. Of course then found there's a difference!

The ally arms aren't common from what I've found and that means the new link rods and bushes aren't either. I had to get my new ones from the US in the end where they seem more common.

Only reason I can think of for the ally arms was to save weight on the suspension and steering? Odd that only a few seem to have it. Mind you being ally I bet they're easily damaged if you bump curbs etc.

Mine has aluminium arms!

Could it be part of a towing package or something? Car has a towbar but not sure how old it is, it has an external transmission cooler too but that was put on it 1997.

You could not factory order a tow bar in the mid/late eighties, they were dealer fitted and in our salesman guide of what to sell there was no mention of arms.

These were the ones I bought. URO parts, complete kits.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volvo,1988,740,2.3l+l4,1288368,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

American stuff seems great quality wise and so cheap. It's the postage that bumps it up!

How did the car perform over your 500 miler?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

How did the car perform over your 500 miler?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Really well, it didn't use any fuel. At all!

Plans changed last minute. Instead of me going up on my own in the brick my parents went the day before and I went with them. Came back Saturday morning.

Sounds like a cop out I know, but given the reason for the trip my mum was very insistent that I don't do the whole trip there and back in one day. You know what mums are like! I couldn't say no really so...

I'm a mummy's boy aren't I! Or just a good lad!?

I've got no reason to doubt its ability though. I've done that trip before in the old saloon in a day without incident and this ones in better nik. Maybe next time I go visit family up in Doncaster I'll go in it then. Hopefully it'll be a visit for better reasons though next time.

Annoying thing was that if she'd said something sooner I wouldn't have rushed to get the jobs done on the car before it's trip. I'd have saved myself the cash and done the work myself once the weather warms up a bit!

Oh well.

Such is life! Shit happens!

Car has really come on well so full credit to all your hard work on it.

Andy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Had the day off work today, which was a good decision as it's been dry and sunny the last couple of days although it's freezing out too.

Took advantage by getting a few bits I wanted for the brick and getting them on the car.

39200898235_672bc6545e_o.jpgIMG_1056 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

40067192492_b9de793896_o.jpgIMG_1058 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

First job was to fit the new Osram nightbreaker bulbs. Any idiot can do this but they do make quite a difference. The beam pattern is much more defined and the light much brighter than the ancient standard ones I did have fitted. They should make up for the reduced size of the headlamps on this car.

Just have to see how long they last now but so far so good.

Next job was to do an oil & filter.

It's been about a year since I got this car and I did one not long after. Up to now it's had a cheapo filter and oil from ECP own brand, changed at roughly 6 month intervals. I did this just to flush out the dirt and crud from the cars period of inactivity.

Now it's getting a genuine Volvo filter and some quality oil since most of the old mank has cleared.

Just a couple of pics of the other bits I got done last month.

40067197342_7deb402333_o.jpgIMG_1057 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

39388319214_78b9c1788e_o.jpgIMG_1060 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

New waterpump complete with new drive belts, and the cam belts been done too.

40067187832_5bc2d74183_o.jpgIMG_1059 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And the brand new under tray.

This things made a big difference, wind noise is much reduced now and you can't feel the wind trying to lift the front of the car anymore at high speeds. Well worth having.

The USA 740 had a 940 dash that was strange, it also had cruise control only a dealer fit option on a UK.

There were other anomalies like a 1986 760 Turbo Auto had standard a/c but a manual did not even though it had an a/c position marked on the heater panel.

Late UK 740s also had the 940 dash; the end of 700 production threw up all sorts of oddness, like facelift 740 16v models having 940 fronts.

Yeah, it’s one of those weird options like the velour seats that nobody much seems to go for.

Annoyingly I don’t have any price lists, just a few brochures (87 saloon, 87 estate, 1990 and a few other various Volvo bits like 1993 accessories) so o can’t even look far into it.

I picked up a HUGE pile of Volvo brochures late last year which I'm sure includes MY86 700-series. I'll have a look.

IIRC leather was a delete option on the GLE, leather was standard by MY87.

I am sorry I can't answer the arms question. I was on the sale side.

Did you know 760 and 740 were built in different factories, 740 Belgium 760 Sweden.

... and in my experience, the three words to look for on any Volvo are "Made in Belgium" - Sweden couldn't nail a 700 or 900 together for shit, but I've never yet had a really bad Ghent built 740.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

some quality oil 

Just keep in mind that the current Gulf company has little to do with the Gulf company of the GT40 era... They are little more than a marketing company that have bought the rights to the Gulf name and logo and sell oil produced by external suppliers.

It says Gulf but it may well be Tetrosyl or Comma or (God forbid !) a quality* product of the WanQing Industrial Chemical and Spicy Condiment Corporation of Shanghai.

IIRC leather was a delete option on the GLE, leather was standard by MY87.

Standard for '87 except on Silver Green (mine) and Light Blue which got matching velour for some reason (I'm not complaining).

There was a black '88 GLE on eBay a few months ago with the green/grey velour. Sounds good but looked a bit weird.

Standard for '87 except on Silver Green (mine) and Light Blue which got matching velour for some reason (I'm not complaining).

There was a black '88 GLE on eBay a few months ago with the green/grey velour. Sounds good but looked a bit weird.

A number of years ago I missed out on a D-reg GLE in a gorgeous fern green metallic with green velour; the Volvo Concessionaire scheme had all sorts of bizarre combinations available. That particular GLE had apparantly been ordered by a serviceman in the BAOR and looked ace, never seen another UK registered 700 that colour since.

The early cars had some stupendous schemes (green leather with matching dash being one, IIRC) but black with blood red leather looked absolutely stunning.

Something else which sticks in my mind for some reason which I'll need to check, but from memory for MY86 the 740 saloon was available in 11 colours, but the estate was only available in 10. No idea why.

FWIW the most horrific scheme I've seen was a bright cherry red '88 745GL on eBay which had green velour.

A number of years ago I missed out on a D-reg GLE in a gorgeous fern green metallic with green velour; the Volvo Concessionaire scheme had all sorts of bizarre combinations available. That particular GLE had apparantly been ordered by a serviceman in the BAOR and looked ace, never seen another UK registered 700 that colour since.

The early cars had some stupendous schemes (green leather with matching dash being one, IIRC) but black with blood red leather looked absolutely stunning.

Something else which sticks in my mind for some reason which I'll need to check, but from memory for MY86 the 740 saloon was available in 11 colours, but the estate was only available in 10. No idea why.

FWIW the most horrific scheme I've seen was a bright cherry red '88 745GL on eBay which had green velour.

In the late eighties when I was selling Volvos there was a special order colour range and you could order those with any interior, just pay your you money and wait 10-12 weeks. I probably have the dealer colour chart but not easy to find in my loft.

The worst looking I ever sold was a 90 spec 760GLE Estate in solid Ivory with Tan Plush, it looked disgusting but the lady who ordered it liked it!

Ones I've seen,

Dark metallic green body - green velour with green dash and trim panels. This looked absolutely gorgeous and I very nearly bought it off eBay.

Silver metallic body - red/orange velour with red/orange dash and trim panels. Again, stunning! The interior was just glorious!

Light metallic blue body - blue velour with blue dash. This one was great too.

Black body - black interior. Very dark but it looked spot on!

You don't seem to see many black standard cars for some reason, almost all black ones are hearses or limos. Odd as I think they look fantastic in black.

Ones I've seen,

Dark metallic green body - green velour with green dash and trim panels. This looked absolutely gorgeous and I very nearly bought it off eBay.

Silver metallic body - red/orange velour with red/orange dash and trim panels. Again, stunning! The interior was just glorious!

Light metallic blue body - blue velour with blue dash. This one was great too.

Black body - black interior. Very dark but it looked spot on!

You don't seem to see many black standard cars for some reason, almost all black ones are hearses or limos. Odd as I think they look fantastic in black.

Black was a special order colour and dealers would not order a special order colour for stock.

And the centre console armrest had an upgraded version with cup holder in it that slide out like the 850's had.

I have a set of those... I had them on my 740 estate in Texas and liked them so much I bought a set from the USA to go in my 740GLE estate here in the UK...

Also there were accessories like a Volvo-branded First Aid kit (two or three different kinds I think), Volvo-branded collapsible plastic storage boxes for the boot and the rigid, high-edged plastic floor mats/carpet protectors for the four footwells and the estate load-bay. These were colour-co-ordinated and I have seen them in black, beige and another colour, though can't recall which one! :-)

I have a set of those... I had them on my 740 estate in Texas and liked them so much I bought a set from the USA to go in my 740GLE estate here in the UK...

Also there were accessories like a Volvo-branded First Aid kit (two or three different kinds I think), Volvo-branded collapsible plastic storage boxes for the boot and the rigid, high-edged plastic floor mats/carpet protectors for the four footwells and the estate load-bay. These were colour-co-ordinated and I have seen them in black, beige and another colour, though can't recall which one! :-)

I've got the floor trays, though not the boot liner one. I don't use them though as I've found they can stop air circulating to the carpet promoting mould! It also makes it hard to spot leaks when the carpet gets wet! Fingers crossed all my leaks are fixed now though.

I've also got a full set of factory tan carpet floor mats, Volvo branded!