Volvo 740, interior headlining finished! Pg 23.

danthecapriman

Well, since last time I've checked the rear suspension again and, while some pressure has been lost, it has actually stayed at a point in the green section of the gauge. It's also visibly staying with its arse end up higher too.

I'll keep an eye on it but maybe it's sorted itself out!? I've tightened the unions on the gauge too so maybe it was that easy to fix.

Anyhoo, this is going to be taking part in operation 'un-fuck the Capri' in the next couple of weeks. I've got to take the Capri for its remaining metal and paintwork to be finished on the 14 June and the Volvo is my dedicated tow car now the Granada is gone. Trailers booked, I've also taken the Volvo to work and hitched it up to a trailer to test the towbar electrics- all good there.

I'll pump the suspension up on the day too, should stop the trailer making it sag so much but it's not exactly a heavy load or that big a distance either. Hopefully it'll all go ok.

I'm off work for the week when I'm shifting the Capri so once that's done I'll be doing the Volvo's cambelt. I've got a new belt and tensioner ready to go on. I've just ordered a brand new undertray for it too. It's currently missing and at speed you can feel the wind under the front end so does need doing (plus it should have one so it's getting one!). This will need all the old rusted seized fixing screws drilling out of the bottom of the chassis legs to fit. I'll do the cambelt first so access is good then fit the undertray once finished.

I've also ordered a new kit to fix the tailgate interior trim. At the moment it's come loose and rattles against the glass when you close the tailgate. It's just a kit of new fixings and plastic clips so shouldn't be difficult to do.

And then...

35627169955_4970fd6f02_o.jpgIMG_0344 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

It's septic lights time!

I can't wait to get these on! I like these flat front Volvo's but I really like the US fronts and this should make the car stand out a little more.

• 1 month later...

Well that's another of my threads where the pics are now updated to Flickr. Thanks again Photofucket you bunch of bell ends!

It's been a little over a month since last update on this. Very little has been done admittedly! My time has been taken up on the Capri's engine and bits and bobs instead.

However, it has been in regular use and it's been fantastic. It's not missed a beat to be honest.

I've used it to cart shit around when building my new garage, everything from bags of concrete to lumps of timber, big estates really are a great tool to have for this sort of thing.

It's also been used to tow a trailer carrying my Capri from storage to the new bodyshop on a rather hot day. Again, it didn't miss a beat and towed very well.

The only problems encountered were lots of wheel spin on gravel when attempting to reverse the trailer around a corner up a slope (needs 4x4!) and almost hitting a deer on the way home with the trailer. Car and deer are fine but it was very close and shaved some rubber off the front tyres! I've been back down that same road since and and sure enough there's a Volvo width '11' on the road! Also hit a bin bag full of rubbish on the motorway that same day which was unavoidable sadly but no damage done, lots of shit everywhere on the motorway for someone to clean up though!

The only recent issue I've noticed though is I think the alternator is dying. A couple of times the cars battery has gone flat or near to. Checking volts with a multimeter shows poor charge. Even when it's running the in car voltmeter is only showing 12v or thereabouts. Adding electrical load only raises things a tiny bit. I'll have to invest in a replacement I think. For now though I've just disconnected the battery to stop that getting damaged.

Once the Capri's engine is sorted (should be fairly soon) I'll get back on with this. The list of work:

Fit new cambelt kit.

Degrease and clean engine and engine bay.

Drill out snapped bolts for undertray and fit new one (currently missing).

Strip rear brake pads, clean and re grease.

Fit new clip kit to tailgate trim panel.

Fit yank lights!

There's other stuff too but that's the main things. I might try to get a local bodyshop to price up for repairing the dent on the rear arch and repainting the sunroof lid, plus a few other bits here and there...

Here's the new undertray.

35811421145_999dfefcd6_o.jpgIMG_0530 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

And new clips for the tailgate trim panel.

35422668590_6e7d9728b7_o.jpgIMG_0531 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Good to get an update on this fine old car :)

I've had to repair the tailgate interior panel's upper mountings on every Volvo estate I've owned so far. It's a very easy and rewarding job if you use that kit; nearly 14 years on, repair I made to The Volvo's panel using said kit is still holding up, largely because I don't slam the tailgate shut or allow passengers to slam it shut.

Good to get an update on this fine old car :)

I've had to repair the tailgate interior panel's upper mountings on every Volvo estate I've owned so far. It's a very easy and rewarding job if you use that kit; nearly 14 years on, repair I made to The Volvo's panel using said kit is still holding up, largely because I don't slam the tailgate shut or allow passengers to slam it shut.

Good to know the kits good, and easy to use.

I guessed it was slamming the tailgate down that caused the problem in the first place. They do seem to really thump down hard! Mine being loose at the mo, it makes the high brake light bang against the rear window glass.

Most of the plastics on these cars seem to go brittle with age too.

Volvo 700/900 tailgate only need to be dropped a few inches before they latch, thus minimising trauma to their interior trim panels. Pity that so many people don't realise this.

I concur with the brittle plastic issues. Luckily, I find that most broken bits can be neatly glued back together with superglue. 

I envy owners of examples with black interiors, as they have an almost infinite amount of used plastic trim pieces to choose from; even if they are the wrong colour, said used pieces can easily be painted to match using generic satin black paint. At least the correct colour bits and pieces are still available for the other cars from Volvo if you really need them.

Volvo 700/900 tailgate only need to be dropped a few inches before they latch, thus minimising trauma to their interior trim panels. Pity that so many people don't realise this.

I concur with the brittle plastic issues. Luckily, I find that most broken bits can be neatly glued back together with superglue. 

I envy owners of examples with black interiors, as they have an almost infinite amount of used plastic trim pieces to choose from; even if they are the wrong colour, said used pieces can easily be painted to match using generic satin black paint. At least the correct colour bits and pieces are still available for the other cars from Volvo if you really need them.

I've actually been keeping an eye out for tan bits of interior trim for mine. I need a full set of 4 of the roof grab handles above each door and a set of the thin trims for around where the seat belts pass through the interior pillar trim. Doesn't seem to be much around though.

• 1 month later...

Update time.

I've pretty much done about as much as I can on the Capri's parts for now so decided to do a bit on the big blue brick today.

I was going to do some mechanical bits but I've been doing that over the last few months with Capri bits so I decided to something a little bit more cosmetic. So I've made a start on my US headlight conversion.

I've had them sat around for ages waiting to go on and I've got all the required parts too which makes things easier.

To start with then I've got these:

36193293550_c2f55d8027_o.jpgIMG_0632 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36452164721_965329f24c_o.jpgIMG_0634 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

This is the complete US light unit, with the Hella RHD dip beam conversion lights.

First job is to strip out the old dip beam LHD light unit.

36543619126_a5a67ed251_o.jpgIMG_0635 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Typical American way it all goes together, my Mercury is exactly the same but using round lights.

It's now however you can see a problem!

The original US lights are old fashioned sealed beam units, the new RHD ones are not. This unfortunately means the rear of the new light unit is considerably bigger than the old one and therefore will not fit into the headlight backplate far enough to locate properly. Also, the new lights have an integrated sidelight unit whereas the originals didn't. This means there's no hole available in the back plate to fit the sidelight bulb holder.

35754818314_b603fe0263_o.jpgIMG_0636 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

This pic shows the size difference!

36193258740_cd9642cca6_o.jpgIMG_0637 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

To get around this some cutting is needed.

35754813674_e81ffd8e1b_o.jpgIMG_0638 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I used a mini dremmel with mini cutting disc. It went through pretty easily and left a decent hole afterwards.

35754810014_1e81c1776b_o.jpgIMG_0639 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Trial fitting shows it to work with plenty of room around for the rubber dust cover to slip on.

Next is to cut out the sidelight bulb holder hole.

36543598496_4df8e58dd4_o.jpgIMG_0640 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

This was done by carefully marking the position then using a pilot drill followed by a stepped drill bit up to 25mm. This leaves a round hole with good clearance for the bulb holder, I then opened out the bottom to a squarer shape to fit the bulb holder handle bit, it was a bit tight without doing this and would have made removal of the bulb holder more difficult.

Once I was happy with the fit I used a mini grinder in the dremmel to de-burr everything and smooth out the edges. Then slapped on some paint to stop rust.

36543587326_b08855f4b6_o.jpgIMG_0642 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36543594126_7dccef91f8_o.jpgIMG_0641 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Here's the finished unit reassembled. It doesn't look much different really! All necessary though to make it fit and work properly for RHD use.

I also found one of the adjusters was damaged too so swapped it for one of the less important full beam adjusters. They all work ok and have been given a squirt of spray grease and freed up.

All the parts here for the conversion are genuine Volvo parts, it's only the bulbs and light units themselves that aren't.

The good thing here now is that I've gained the ability to use proper headlight bulbs instead of crappy sealed beams.

Anyone got any recommendations for good dip beam bulbs? I wouldn't mind getting some that are a bit above the standard cheapo motor factor ones.

I have a set of new old stock bumper covers for the rear of a 740 saloon or estate resting in my garage if anyone wishes to make me an offer.

I am about as far away as possible from Scotland without falling into the English Channel/La Manche. Transportation will involve ingenuity.

Having gotten angry with the clutch for my Capri being such a shit part and not fitting I've returned attention to this.

One light is now fitted!

36586612266_3fffd947d2_o.jpgIMG_0648 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35824139883_5e526ba0ee_o.jpgIMG_0647 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The thing hanging down under the bumper is the now unneeded headlight wiper motor. I'll do the other side and then find the wiring plugs and remove them.

36236801310_0da0b0f57f_o.jpgIMG_0649 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

36633058075_2b89dd7c7c_o.jpgIMG_0650 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I think they look pretty damn good!

Much more of a feature than the original Euro lights and I love the chrome bezels, they stand out nicely against the dark blue paint.

They went on very easily, had a minor issue with the old rubber seal around the indicator opening. It's old and gone a bit hard so didn't like the new slightly different shaped indicator lense sat against it, a bit of gentle teasing it out and movement got it sat properly though.

The whole lot simply bolts in, in place of the original light using the same fixings and bolts. I did forget to remove the grill fixing piece from the old headlight so I've got to refit that yet which should let the new light unit align properly as it's slightly off at the moment compared to the grill and bumper.

It's raining now so I'll get on it again tomorrow. I'll change the other light, and start the wiring mods. I'd hoped to reuse at least some of the original bulb holders etc but none of them are transferable sadly so I'll need to cut the old bulb holders off and solder on the US ones that handily came with the lights.

Seeing one on the car though I'm well pleased with them!

Fingers crossed I'll be able to do this in such a way that it'll all be able to go back to standard euro front without too much work.

only on auto shite would somebody replace the coolest headlight/wiper combo with hideous septic lights :roll: :roll: :roll:

I like them better than the Euro spec ones tbh. The Euro ones look a bit bland and featureless to me compared to these.

Besides, the American way is always the right way...

And chrome is good!

I had "6-pack" septic tail-lights on my old Silvia Turbo. I suppose it did make it stand out from the usual (not that there's such a thing as a "usual" s12 anymore) but it was a load of faff and not really an improvement as such. TBH not sure why I bothered!

I think your Volvo looks better, squint and it could be mistaken for an old Chevy Caprice or something.

This is a twat!

I've got the light on one side fully fitted and lined up properly.

Started to sort the wiring out, all the cars wiring loom is colour coded as you'd expect and the US loom section that came with the new lights is also colour coded exactly the same.

You'd think it'd be a simple matter of connecting up the same coloured wires new - old using the new US bulb holders...

Nope! Afraid not!

I've got the headlight sorted and working. At first I connected it up as I'd thought, joining same coloured wires to each other which worked but ended up operating the full beam instead of dip and dip instead of full beam!

I've had to switch the wires around at the join to get it working as it should, which has resulted in the colours of the wires being now mixed up at the joins. Luckily it's very close to the light units so shouldn't be a problem in the event of fault finding.

The indicator light is also now converted and working as it should, but did the same thing initially. I had to swap both wires at the join.

Just the sidelights to go though then it's onto the other side which should be easier now I've done one.

Twin headlight wiper arms needs to happen.

Is there any car that has them? Could use them as donors!

Anyway, I've just been rained off again! This August must be the worst in history as far as weathers concerned, you wouldn't believe it was meant to be the height of summer.

First side is finished!

36511321521_4f1e97485a_o.jpgIMG_0651 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

These are the US light wiring loom that came with the lights. I've separated each individual lights wiring from each other and concentrated on one light at a time.

36649496185_991ebda286_o.jpgIMG_0654 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

It's tight for space, especially with the battery in there.

I was going to solder them together as it makes a much better connection, it also looks better when used with heat shrink afterwards.

But, I want this to be 100% removable back to original Euro lights if wanted so I've instead opted for crimp connected spade connections. At least this way they can just be unplugged and the other light plugged back in.

I have taped up the ends and joins just to stop any damp getting in, might be a bit over the top but sod it!

Victory!!

36649490615_0b33326bce_o.jpgIMG_0655 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

All on!

I changed my plan part way through. The headlight is currently working dip and full beams with a H4 bulb, the original full beam is disconnected for now as the wiring swapping and alterations have meant it will work when the dip beams are on at the mo! I'll cut the wires and sort them so it works properly later but for now I have fully legal dip and full beams.

The indicator is the amber light to the outer side (was the US sidelight), that's now using an amber bulb but works a treat.

I was going to use the new RHD lights built in sidelight feature but decided it was a bit of a shame to not use the big long light at the bottom so this is now the sidelight! The one in the RHD headlight can be left unused.

Works well I think.

Just the other side to do now...

36480409742_2585f5a01b_o.jpgIMG_0656 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Old light removed and I've cleaned out all the cobwebs and crud from under the light and air filter box, then wiped the opening area down with soapy water so it's all clean ready for the new light.

The old wiper arms are also unplugged and their hoses removed. I'll keep all the old bits so it can be put back later if I so choose.

Like the new look but loosing headlight wipers breaks my little heart.

I totally removed The Volvo's headlight wash-wipe system in 2006, as it never worked and the wipers kept snagging me when I cleaned the car:

post-4796-0-08036100-1503069471_thumb.jpg

The Volvo, in the rain, ten minutes ago.

Personally, I think the 1989-1992 740 looks a lot better without headlight wipers.

Sodding weather! I'd started again and almost finished the other side and now it's hail and rain! It was bloody bright sunshine a min ago.

The headlight wipers on this one didn't work, and the washer hose to them had been disconnected and left hanging next to the washer bottle. I'm going to say no real loss that they're now gone!

Might also save some weight and improve mpg's!!

Also, both sides headlights are now working and you know what? The new smaller ones are actually better than the originals! They're brighter and have a much clearer beam pattern on them. I think it's more down to them being brand new though.

The H4 headlight bulbs I'm using are old spares out of my tool box, they've been in there at least 10 years out of their packets too. Surprised they still work.

I might get a new pair regardless though, maybe upgraded ones (not those hideous blue modern things though). As the new lights being much smaller I think they may need a bit of extra help.