Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Operation Pig Iron: Volvo 740, new brakes pg 7.

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#181 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Omg, it didn't rain today!!

It's been dry and quite nice out today so I got the spaners out.
I couldn't be arsed getting too dirty today so decided I'd concentrate on the cooling system. I drained out the old coolant which actually wasn't as bad as I'd first thought. There's definitely been a stop leak additive in it though, it had left a gungy residue behind so I've flushed it out as best I can and thoroughly cleaned out the header tank as there was a lot of it in there.
I've also taken the thermostat housing off, replaced the thermostat and cleaned up the housing as this had a lot of scum and crystallised antifreeze inside it. Both the bolts that hold it on have been cleaned up and coated in grease to make it come apart easier next time too.
Finally I've completely replaced the radiator for a brand new one. Everything came apart and went back perfectly and I've cleaned out the crossmember under the rad while it was out.
Everything connected back up, new antifreeze added and it was run up to temperature and bled through.
Easy job but it needed doing and can now be ticked off the list.

Next job will be the oil system. Engine oil and filter, rocker cover gasket, flame trap breather element, and auto box oil and filter. Hopefully tomorrow's job if it's dry.
  • trigger, Sheefag, eddyramrod and 5 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1985 Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia X estate
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#182 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Did some more today.
Changed the engine oil and filter. Then changed the fuel filter... Which was a right twat! It's under the floor on these and sits next to the second fuel pump in a little cage.
I unbolted the cage which revealed a very dirty and old fuel filter. All the unions were rusted to hell and took a lot of effort to free them off. Got them off in the end and put a new genuine Volvo filter back on.
This was made even more fun by the underside of the car being coated in underseal which started dissolving once the old fuel filter was undone. The leaking petrol combined with dissolved underseal left a black sticky gunk all over everything.

image_zpsfys2r6l5.jpg

New fuel filter in place inside it's little cage.

I've also checked the brakes. The rears don't look too bad, the discs look fairly new still and there's loads of meat on the pads. The caliper seems to be free too so I'm going to try to just give the rears a clean up and re use them.

image_zpswig3s8sw.jpg
Rear brakes.

The fronts are about fucked. The discs have a big lip on them and the pads are just about worn out. The calipers are sticking/seized though so I'm going to change the lot on the fronts.

image_zps5la0diia.jpg
Front brakes.

There's a bit of confusion about the parts though. By the looks of it I've got Girling calipers, I've measured the disc and it seems to be a 262mm diameter disc. However, the info on parts for Volvo's (PFS) site suggests the 262mm disc doesn't go with the Girling calipers! Instead it says I need the bigger 287mm disc? Can't be right surely? Anyone know any better?
  • TerryWogan, oman5 and Lacquer Peel like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#183 OFFLINE   cms206

cms206

SVENSK STIL

• Full Members
  • 4,275 posts
  • LocationVolvograd

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

I can't help with brakes other than a "Good luck", but 287mm discs won't fit behind 14in wheels IIRC.

Also, remember: two sizes of caliper, single pot, twin pot and with or without ABS, then add in the different brake set ups... don't suppose it still has the sticker in the nearside rear door shut with the specs for your car on it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • danthecapriman likes this

'83 Volvo 340DL - broken

'87 Volvo 740 Turbo - awaiting collection

'88 Volvo 740GLE - poorly

'89 Volvo 740GLE - broken
'89 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi130 - broken
'96 Volvo 850 S 2.5-10v - not broken

'97 Peugeot 406 2.1LXDT - not broken

'99 Kia Pride 1.3SX - not broken

'01 Volvo V40 T4 SE - mostly broken

#184 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

I can't help with brakes other than a "Good luck", but 287mm discs won't fit behind 14in wheels IIRC.
Also, remember: two sizes of caliper, single pot, twin pot and with or without ABS, then add in the different brake set ups... don't suppose it still has the sticker in the nearside rear door shut with the specs for your car on it?
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The stickers still there but I can't read it anymore. Looks like it's faded and got old.

There's quite a few brake combinations on these! My fronts look like no ABS, twin piston, Girling (comparing pics from Volvo OC website), with 14'' wheels. Which, if the 287mm disc won't fit behind the 14'' rim would make sense. So I must have the 262mm discs if that's the case.

I remember this being a pain in the arse on my old saloon! That one had Bendix twin piston calipers and it took a couple of go's to get all the right parts.

None of this stuff is cheap either! To completely replace just the front brake parts (calipers, discs, pads, flexi hoses) isn't far off £400!

Oh, and I've discovered my sunroof is leaking now too. The headlining is getting damp in the front left corner around the sunroof hatch. Guess the drain tubes are blocked so I'll have to find some wire to shove down the holes.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#185 OFFLINE   BenHar

BenHar

• Full Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationReigate, Surrey

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Oh, and I've discovered my sunroof is leaking now too. The headlining is getting damp in the front left corner around the sunroof hatch. Guess the drain tubes are blocked so I'll have to find some wire to shove down the holes.

Strimmer cord if you've got some.

Ben
  • danthecapriman and Sheefag like this

CHRIS1980, on 08 Jan 2016 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Your clearly thick....end of.

#186 OFFLINE   trigger

trigger

• Full Members
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationIpswich

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

Have a look on here for the brakes you need, you should be able to work it from the size and pictures.

http://www.ferodo.co...ch_type=vehicle
1971 Rover 2000 SC P6 with a 2200 SC fitted.
1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500 SE
2004 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec

#187 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Just had a quick look at the other side front brakes to see if there's anything there to confirm the set up I've got.

image_zps75nooe6f.jpg

This one has a brand name!
Girling system on the front.
However, I've just checked the data panel in the rear door shut now it's day time and I can just about make out a number 3 in the brake configuration box. Number 3 translates to DBA/Bendix! Not what I have!
I've no idea why it no longer matches up unless someone's swapped the front brakes for some reason? Odd.

That clears that up though so I've ordered a pair of 262mm discs and Girling front pads, all genuine Volvo parts! And I've also ordered a pair of Girling caliper slider recon kits. I've tried levering the calipers sliders and pistons back and they are moving so I'm going to try cleaning up and exercise the calipers instead of replacing them (for cost reasons!) hopefully with a clean up and the new slider recon kits they should be good enough to keep using, at least for a while anyway.
  • eddyramrod, Lacquer Peel and AndySnapper like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#188 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Weather today was nice so I managed to get the front brakes done.

The front pads were almost worn down completely and the discs both had a big lip around the edge so I got some new ones after eventually managing to find out which type of brakes I've got. There's quite a few different types and front/rear combinations on these.
A bit of shopping around revealed prices for genuine parts weren't much more than decent quality non OE stuff so it seemed stupid not to get genuine Volvo stuff. Only the best for my brick!

IMG_0401_zps1cafawme.jpg

New Volvo discs and pads, I also got a pair of calliper slider repair kits since they can be a pain for sticking on these. They're complete kits with new slider pins, bolts, dust boots and proper grease sachets.
The genuine discs also come with new calliper bolts too.
While it was in bits I cleaned up as much of the back plate and hubs as possible without going ott.
Both callipers were exercised and cleaned up then re greased and re assembled. Neither seem to be seized so I've also changed the brake fluid at the same time. It needed doing as the old stuff was vile.

IMG_0402_zpsyyylljc3.jpg

Old bits, all well past their best and fit for the bin.

While I was at it I found the anti roll bar links were in a bit of a state, I spotted these last time I had the wheels off and ordered a pair of new ones. Forward planning!
Unfortunately on getting the new ones out of the box I found they are in fact the wrong sodding ones!
It turns out most of these have cast iron lower arms so the bottom of the common type of ARB link has a simple bolt through a bush into the side of the arm...
My car however is fitted with cast alloy lower arms for some odd reason which means the ARB link can not be bolted on in the same way. Instead it has a pair of bushes at the top and another pair at the bottom with a crush tube in the middle. And I can't find any new ones of this type!

IMG_0404_zpsyixplbqs.jpg

It also means I've got a pair of new incorrect ones that I can't send back as I've lost the receipt!
Anyone want them cheap?
They are a pair of this type: http://www.ebay.co.u...zsAAOSwGIRXZM5j
Complete ready to use.
  • Sigmund Fraud likes this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#189 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Had a bit of time again today and took advantage of it being a nice dry day by having a look at why the sunroof was leaking.
For some reason the sunroof will only open on the tilt. Trying to wind the handle the other way to fully slide the panel back just results in the thing jamming solid. I think if I try any harder something's going to get broken. No idea what happened to that.
I didn't want to risk taking it to bits to fix it either as I don't want a hole in the roof this time of year if it won't go back again.

This of course made fixing the leak a right bastard! Normally you can slide the sunroof back which reveals the four drain tubes, one in each corner.
Since I couldn't do this I instead had to strip out the interior trim from around the A pillar and drop the headlining.
The leak was only in the passenger side front corner area as the headliner was dry around the rest of it.

Once the trim and headlining was out the way I could see the back of the sunroof tray and the little drain tube, attached to this is a rubber hose held on with a jubilee clip which runs down the A post and out under the car. It was very damp up in the roof area around this so I've wiped it all out and dried it off as best I can.
Then I got a tiny socket and ratchet up there and just tweeked up all the sunroof tray bolts just in case any were loose and letting water past them.
Then I undid the jubilee clip from the hose and pulled the hose off. No sign of any crap in there but I fed some old electrical wire into the drain tube towards the sunroof tray which seemed to hit a bit of resistance at first. Waving it around and in then out seemed to clear whatever it was.
I poured a little water through it from outside the car which ran through perfectly well.

Next was the hose. Access was poor for this so I bent it down as far as I could and blew down it as hard as I could. First try and it was definitely blocked as I couldn't blow through it.
Second try and it was the same before suddenly blowing through! Again, no idea what it was but it's definitely cleared and I could easily blow through it. The drain hole in the sill was also lanced with the wire before everything was connected back up and a load of water poured into the sunroof tray.
The water runs through freely now, there's some bits of dirt and moss in it when it comes out of the sill hole so that must have been what it was?
There's no signs of leaks around the inside of the sunroof either now so I think the drain was blocked which caused the water to back up and overflow into the car, wetting the headlining in the process.

Sadly the wet has damaged the headliner a bit. The fabric has come away from the back board in a small area above the passenger seat giving it a droopy appearance. It's not too obvious with the sun visor folded up though.
I just need to try to dry it all out now, so I've left the car sat in the sun with the windows down to air it out. Not easy this time of year though! I might try an electric dehumidifier tomorrow if it's dry.
  • TerryWogan and Sigmund Fraud like this
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L

#190 OFFLINE   Frank Gallagher

Frank Gallagher

• Full Members
  • 2,389 posts
  • LocationBirminghamshireton

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 AM

get some WD40* into as much of the mechanism as possible cos sunroofs can get as stiff as buggery through lack of use

07 Civic spaceship

93 Renner 19 RNi

89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

14 Poojoe 208 ehdi feline- works (1 of 10)

64 Fraud Fucus Zetec navi tdci- other works

some kind bum stabby leg numby knee achey thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users