Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cavalier mk2 - another blue giffermobile.

Fucked

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#211 OFFLINE   outlaw118

outlaw118

• Full Members
  • 4,013 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationKipping in a layby by the A128

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Quality Fred, 36.8/10. 

Wish I had the skillz/ time / patience, farmed out everything on my Capri otherwise it'd never have got done!

• 4wheeledstool and Cavcraft like this

2005 Volvo XC90 2.4 Dizzler MEGAMOOSE

1985 Ford Capri 2.0 - Baby - Sulking - Broken

2012 Vauxhall Combo 1.3 Dizzle - Workshite

2012 Kia Rio - Mills -o- matic SWMBO

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.25 zeeetekkyo Stepdaughtershite

2003 Ford Focus 1600 Ghia - Bargainous Stepson shite

#212 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:03 PM

Boring but necessary stuff today - gave all the under bonnet stuff a quick clean and started boxing it all up to go into storage.

IMG_20190228_163413.jpg

IMG_20190228_163223.jpg

Once all that is taken care of, I'll be getting the grinder back out again. :)

A few bargainous eBay purchases arrived this week - steering rod ends, and the two front engine/gearbox mounts.

IMG_20190228_163040.jpg

It's always a relief when the bits you need are available at a reasonable price. :)
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, Burnside and 4 others like this

#213 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Decided against more grinder action for now - this morning I fancied taking off the rear undercarriage.

IMG_20190302_125920.jpg

Good news was that everything came apart as it was supposed to - bleed nips + pipe unions included. The bad news is that the chassis legs need repairing where the spring plates are located. The spring plates have been replaced at some point (not very nicely!) and I'm guessing that they were pigeon shitted on over questionable metal. I'll get some pics of the pox another time - but heres one of the stripped rear end gubbins.

IMG_20190302_125803.jpg

The pile of pieces requiring cleaning and painting is coming on nicely. :)

IMG_20190302_135225.jpg
  • Vin, Pillock, M'coli and 9 others like this

#214 OFFLINE   Dick Longbridge

Dick Longbridge

• Full Members
  • 4,102 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationFrench gateaux

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

Great to see a mk2 getting some proper love and attention. R.e. the rear legs - I assumed that was a mk3 Cav specific issue. My first mk3 GSi saloon failled its MOT at around 13 years old with crispy rear chassis legs, and mk3's are generally notorious for it. Looks like mk2's weren't exempt either! 

• Burnside and Cavcraft like this
My Lambretta (and beyond, all in good time) thread: http://autoshite.com...k-old-italians/

67 Lambretta SX150
03 Toyota MR2
07 BMW E91

#215 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

Mae hen ceir fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi.

• Full Members
  • 6,533 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Great that you’re cracking on with this, even though it makes me feel bad about not just getting the fuck on with it like you do.
  • 4wheeledstool and Cavcraft like this
75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 89G Honda Accord Aerodeck EX | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#216 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 8,225 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

Good work! I have a driver's side full sill sitting in the garage if you haven't already got one.

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#217 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

Great to see a mk2 getting some proper love and attention. R.e. the rear legs - I assumed that was a mk3 Cav specific issue. My first mk3 GSi saloon failled its MOT at around 13 years old with crispy rear chassis legs, and mk3's are generally notorious for it. Looks like mk2's weren't exempt either!

Cheers! I'm pretty sure the rear chassis architecture is the same as the mk3 - people have fitted mk3 beams to mk2s for one reason or another.

Good work! I have a driver's side full sill sitting in the garage if you haven't already got one.

Many thanks! I'm sorted for replacement sills, although I may be in touch if I make a balls of it!

This morning was all about fuel system removal. The tank, fuel lines + pump/filter/pressure reg came out first. (Not particularly easy to remove the tank when the body is only 8 inches off the deck!)

IMG_20190303_142407.jpg

The brake lines undid without drama - they're in really good condition so theres a fair chance they'll be reused.

IMG_20190303_145258.jpg

Heres a shot of one of the ruined spring plates - I reckon these will repair as it only appears to be rotten in the flat part directly above where the spring sits. Time will tell!

IMG_20190303_153623.jpg

Whoever replaced those ^^^ could probably do with welding lessons! :)
  • richardthestag, Burnside, Skizzer and 7 others like this

#218 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Gear shift mechanism was whipped out after work this afternoon - it was very brown due to a liberal coating of underbody wax type stuff. Thinners and a cloth saw it looking loads better though

IMG_20190304_162653.jpg

A bit more help is gonna be required to pretty up the fuel pump/regulator/filter arrangement removed yesterday.

IMG_20190304_162947.jpg

The gearchange mech was the last item to be removed from the underside - now it's bare, I just need to get the sills sorted before it can go up on the spit.
  • danthecapriman, Burnside, Skizzer and 4 others like this

#219 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 4,618 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

love the stripdown, is it a 5 speeder?

• 4wheeledstool likes this

Mondeo love has returned 'joy'  :wub:   

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#220 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

love the stripdown, is it a 5 speeder?

It is!

#221 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

I got the majority of the nearside outer sill cut off this afternoon. The box section between the inner and outer sills is a lot more complete on this side, so now I know exactly what I'm aiming for when I reconstruct these structures before putting the replacement outer sills on. I suspect that a lot of people ignore these strengthening structures in an "out of sight, out of mind" style - its a lot more work to do it right after all.

IMG_20190306_172338.jpg

IMG_20190306_172238.jpg

Obviously I need to remove the rest of the outer sill before cracking on with it, but I'm gonna be struggling to find the time for it for a couple of weeks so progress will now be slowed. :(
  • Vin, richardthestag, danthecapriman and 5 others like this

#222 OFFLINE   Burnside

Burnside

• Full Members
  • 902 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

The inner sill look's better than my MK3 Cav did before they were both replaced!

I don't know if this of use but on the MK3 the sunroof drainage pipes go down the A post and straight into the sills. So a friend who replaced the nearside sill, modified mine so they both drain out through the inner front wings behind the arch liners instead.

Could be a worthwhile modification if the MK2 is the same.

Can't think how else to word seeing the updates other than I'm loving it.
  • Dick Longbridge and Cavcraft like this
1993 Vauxhall Cavalier LS 1.8i Hatch.
2004 Fiat Scudo 1.9 JTD 8v Van.

#223 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

The inner sill look's better than my MK3 Cav did before they were both replaced!
I don't know if this of use but on the MK3 the sunroof drainage pipes go down the A post and straight into the sills. So a friend who replaced the nearside sill, modified mine so they both drain out through the inner front wings behind the arch liners instead.
Could be a worthwhile modification if the MK2 is the same.
Can't think how else to word seeing the updates other than I'm loving it.

Glad you're enjoying the thread! I've not spotted the sunroof drains in the sill area, I think the rear ones exit through the boot floor - no idea about the front ones. I'll have a good look, and reroute if necessary!
Been to see a man about a mahoosive bottle of gas this afternoon - it's arrival should coincide with my return to fettling this heap in a couple of weeks. ;)
  • Burnside, stuboy, paulscavalier and 4 others like this

#224 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Managed to get an afternoon on this today - first up was a small repair to the offside inner wing where it had rotted around a splash guard fixing hole. (finishing the dregs of my welding gas) I forgot to take the "before" pic, but heres the "after" one.

IMG_20190310_153403.jpg

The remainder of today's session saw me cutting out the rotten section of the inner wing behind the offside headlamp. (where the previous owner had effected a filler sandwich "repair" in the past) Once cut out, a paper template was fashioned, which was then transferred to a piece of the old front valance that wasn't rusty. It doesn't look much in the pic, but the shape required has mild curves going in different directions, and it took a fair while to tease it into a shape that fitted nicely. With no gas left at present, I left the piece wedged in its hole - I'll clean everything up and weld it in at a later date.

IMG_20190310_162721.jpg

IMG_20190310_161534.jpg

Not looking forward to removing all that underbody sealant - grim times ahead!
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, Burnside and 5 others like this

#225 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 8,280 posts
  • 85 thanks

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

Heat and white spirit does the trick but it’s a shitty job whichever way you do it.

#226 OFFLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

• Full Members
  • 553 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

I saw an awesome way of removing that stuff the other week, they used dry ice. It just bloody flaked off!

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#227 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 7,212 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:43 PM

GSI had IRS and not a beam, unlike the mk3 V6 which has a beam with 5 studs and rear discs, and location points that are identical to a mk2. A few people on mk2cav.com seem to have done that particular swap. My only swap was fitting mk3 GSI front brakes to a mk2 1.8 SRI. They just fit under a 14 inch alloy.
  • Dick Longbridge likes this

#228 OFFLINE   4wheeledstool

4wheeledstool

Protogiffer

• Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationcheshire

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

Whilst waiting for my huge bottle of gas, I've been spending a little time getting the outer sills to fit nicely. It's a bit of a faff having to put it on and take it off many times to adjust/trim it, but it's worth it to get it to look right. I still need to repair the middle sills, but need to know the final position of the outers before I can do that. A lot more time needs to go in before I can weld any of it up, but when there sills are finished I can start on the spit. :)
Pic of outer sill trial fitted to cheer up an otherwise dull post.

IMG_20190314_174543.jpg
  • richardthestag, danthecapriman, Burnside and 8 others like this

#229 OFFLINE   anonymous user

anonymous user

• Full Members
  • 5,599 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationAbject Poverty

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

I'm another one who had missed this thread, but will have to keep up now I've found it
  • 4wheeledstool likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users