Rover 220 FTP again, updated

omegod

I know there's a lot of affection for the old girl but it's really testing me now. RAC attended my work today after it wouldn't start last night, seemed it had flooded and eventually started but ran roughly after lengthy cranking, shit loads of fuel came out of the exhaust.it received a new set of plugs at RAC prices and then was running sweetly.

Came out of work and it eventually started, kangaroo-ed most of the way home then stopped and now won't run for more than 10 seconds, RAC are getting another call to bring it home.  An suggestions as to possible cause?   I'm thinking failing fuel pump 

The wife mentioned getting rid.....not sure whether that meant me or the car  :shock:  

Returned on a dolly, Oh the shame of it!!  

It has fuel and spark and as the rev counter was ticking while cranking he felt the sensor was ok plus in my experience a crank sensor usually stops them dead rather than rough running. To be fair he had a thorough hour checking stuff before admitting defeat and reckons it's worth changing the coil as a starting point.  

Update time, Last RAC twerp felt that the coil was the culprit after checking the whole ignition system so off I goes to the scrappy yesterday and liberates one from a 214i along with a couple of leads and a scabby rotor arm cos it was there,  coolant sensor and after a lengthy battle a crank sensor from an 820 as that's what is fitted to this 220 by Mr Boll,I managed to undo the worlds supply of amalgamating tape on the coil (very well played Mr Boll!! ) swapped it and it still wouldn't start. Turns out there are 7 variants of crank sensor on the 2.0 T series engine and unsurprisingly I had the wrong one. At this point I haven't even got a spark so thought fuck it I'll order the right sensor and a new coil as this ones likely knackered

Sitting here tonight feeling well pissed off and thought fuck it I'll stick the scabby scrappy rotor arm on instead of the new looking one on the car, it's only fucking starting and running well on it!!  

It's sounding a bit tappety which is worrying me a tad as both RAC monkeys revved the absolute tit's off when they got it running until I told them to pack it in, I may not be out of the woods yet but will try it on a run later.    

Very common for rotor arms to go to earth on these.

If you are bored and want to test your dodgey rotor arm theory refit the old one and hold the coil lead a few mm away from its centre and get some one to crank the engine over.

If you get a spark jumping the gap between the coil lead and the rotor arm then it is shorting to earth and buggered.