Am I a bad BUYAA or is he a bad SELLA?

vaughant

Nonono on the 3.0 derv on the 9-5, they're explosivetastic in many ways. 2.2 is supposed to be more reliable than the 1.9 diesel, however far more agricultural. I had the 1.9 in a 9-3. Nice performance but little things kept going wrong.

Petrols are hardier. Just watch for the sludge. Even if sounding alright, get a sump drop asap for piece of mind. But saying that, £200-£300 is about what a sump drop and clean costs!

Biggest problem was the PCV system degrading. This was revisited in 2003-2004 ish to solve he problem. I believe the easiest way to tell is by the silver/bare metal engine block - rather than the black. Upgraded PCV systems are still available for the older engines.

Running on full-synth is a must too.

Couldn't disagree more. The last three cars I've sold are sales which have been entirely set up by text and/or online enquiries. No actual words were spoken until the buyer was knocking on the door to view. In each case the buyers were genuine people, with funds ready. Those writing off a potential buyer purely because they don't pick up the blower need to short their shit out.

Must admit the same for me, I once sold a Passat tdi and never met the boy, delivered it too, his grandad came out and just wanted to see it start, cash handed over, job jobbed.

I've bought maybe 2/3 cars totally via t'internweb, no human contact and about 10 where again the only contact is when the ££££'s are handed over.

Worst I ever had was an old giffer acting on behalf of his son, he filled the bloody logbook in, wouldn't let me near it, wrote the wrong initials down and they refused to tax it as it didn't match the insurance cert, then asked for my driver number and vehicle mileage, I told him it's not necessary for either of those things but he point blank refused to let me take the car until I provided the driver number, nightmare, had to go home and get it.

Car was a fucking crock anyway, e34 520i, pile of steaming shite, everyone ever advertised at the time said "30mpg on it".

Yeah, freewheeling downhill, pants underpowered rubbish.

Now, time too see if there's any on eBay!!!

Another bad one was a mate* who literally as I turned up to do the deal with him, sent his cronies out to remove the stereo, big battery, spare wheel and Jack etc,went to start the car (unaware of previous skullduggery) to be presented with this pile of shite. Door slammed in face, no answer or help to even jump start it. Great bloke!!!

However it was a series one Rs turbo for a grand.

Those were the days!!!

When I was looking for my last car I saw a Volvo v70 on gumtree. I called the seller to be met with a gruff "I'm having my tea you will need to call back". I initially thought fair enough, but when I called him back answering simple questions about it were met with complete aggression. There were no interior pics in the ad so I asked him if there was anything major wrong with it. He launched into a tirade about how just because there wasn't pics doesn't mean the seats have been slashed.

I gave up in the end.

Gumtree is a mixed bag for me recently. I stuck some huge (20") Range Rover rims last week for £175 no offers or timewasters. Didn't take long for "£100 tonite m8"? Got there in the end eventually when someone turned up on time with actual cash monies.

If you're after something to sleep in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152346513062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

It's cheap for one of these (because it has a small* hole in it) but if you are handy with fibreglass/hardboard could be a bargain*.

There's a bloke on social media who's been trying to oflfoad a 2007 Citroen Relay with a fair lick of MOT for £595.  I asked him when he first advertised it if there were any faults I needed to know about and he just stated 'it's an old van so won't be perfect'. I didn't fucking ask him if it was perfect and it's been for sale for a while now and getting cheaper by about £25-£50 at a time.

Obviously it's going to have some issues, but if you ain't going to tell me what they are then that (in my eyes) is dishonesty.

There's a bloke on social media who's been trying to oflfoad a 2007 Citroen Relay with a fair lick of MOT for £595.  I asked him when he first advertised it if there were any faults I needed to know about and he just stated 'it's an old van so won't be perfect'. I didn't fucking ask him if it was perfect and it's been for sale for a while now and getting cheaper by about £25-£50 at a time.

Obviously it's going to have some issues, but if you ain't going to tell me what they are then that (in my eyes) is dishonesty.

I think a certain kind of dickhead thinks you will buy it if you bother to turn up, whereas what really it happens is you leave pissed off as they have wasted your time.

The 3.0 derv lump in the 9-5 is from Vauxhall and when Saab got its mitts on it clearly did a thing or two that turned it into a primed grenade, because there are far fewer issues reported in the Signum and Vectra than the 9-5.

SnrYoof has a 3.0 derv Signum and the thing just won't die or fail an MOT.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You've only got to attend a car boot these days to witness this. I saw a fella demand his money back on a £3 leather jacket as he later discovered it didn't fit him. He hounded the woman who was on her own. Disgraceful. I gave up doing car boots when I had to endure wasters who believe that persistently ignoring the price and demanding I sell it then for 5p couldn't understand when I eventually told them they'd better fuck off quick.

To sell stuff secondhand now you've got to have the patience of a saint. When you think about when you've gone to view a car and from the buyers view you've turned up on time, behaved normally and not started giving it this 'best price' shit they must be overjoyed.

^ this

Gave up on car boot sales in Wycombeshite years ago.

Once got mobbed and the thieving bastards made off with some stuff in the confusion. I had already sent a couple of them packing with their 5p nonsense

Other times you get hard luck stories for something that you are selling for a £1 that make you feel bad

Then you get the other traders swarming over you as you arrive, "got any vinyl?" "only me pants" was the standard answer.

Most of the time it is just time wasters

One lad was sifting through a box of 7 burned out Bosch power drills In a big plastic storage box (not mine, inherited with the shed), there was a couple of chucks and spare parts but to be honest it was rubbish tip fodder. Big note "dead power drills for spares £2 the lot!". Lad comes along spends 5 minutes sifting through the box

Dick " £2 each?"

Me "no £2 for the whole lot"

Dick "do they all work?"

me "err no"

Dick "give ya 50p"

Me "yep but I keep the box, you can have this cardboard box instead"

Dick "I want the box too"

Me "you can have the lot for £1.50"

Dick walks off then comes back 30 mins later "give you a pound"

Me picks the box up and puts in in the back of the car " no, I will drop them off at the tip on the way home"

Dick "alright then £1.50, have you got change for a £20 note?"

Me  "are you taking the piss?"

Dick "nah thats all I have"

Me sifting through the box " I have £18 in change, so you can have that"

Dick " think I'll leave it!"

Me "tell you what All the bits in a cardboard box for nowt, just go away!"

Dick buggers off looking happy but mildly confused. comes back half hour later "oi these are all fucked"

Me "I told you they didnt work"

Dick gives me the hard Paddington Bear stare

Me "ok i'll give you a refund" takes the box off him and serves the next pillock.

Dick eventually walks off

Took it all home and found that I had inherited two rubber 3pin plugs, fuck yeah!

Then did what I should have done in the first place and stripped down the drills that were seized solid and got two of the other drills working using switches and brushes. the rest went to the tip. Sold one for £30 on ebay and the second lasted me 5 years of abuse, still in the shed but has lost a lot of power so expect terminal armature issues.

In the end I just cannot be arsed with selling at boot sales. So as a rule if it is suitable for car boot these days it goes straight down the charity shop 

My oldest son is also looking for a cheap runaround at the mo so anticipating nightmares both buying and selling cheap 1 litre runabouts. Gumtree is a fecking nightmare

If you're after something to sleep in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152346513062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

It's cheap for one of these (because it has a small* hole in it) but if you are handy with fibreglass/hardboard could be a bargain*.

They do raise silly money, even I could fix that.

Be easier if all the bits were there, but they will still be at the side of the road somewhere.

Generally can tell if someone is going to dick you about, when I sold the saab I had someone do an MOT check on it and they came back asking if a leak which was marked down as an advisory back in 2008 had been fixed, from 2008, fuck off will ya. Also had someone else ask why I pulled the auction as ' I was going to bid' and i'd 'lost a sale' it was pointed out to him that as there were no bids on the car I was happy to pull it from sale without upsetting anyone and if he was as keen as he suggested in his email maybe he should have bid on the car. if I took a guess he was hoping it wouldn't sell and he could come with a low ball offer, that's fine if you're willing to take the risk that someone else doesn't buy before you. but to get shirty when he'd never even contacted me with any questions let alone a bid!

Gumtree is great*

Today I drove 50 miles (round trip) to look at a camper/day van advertised at £5000. Looked ok in the pics, seller seemed sensible on the phone so I went to have a look. What I found was an ex british gas SWB mk6 transit with a small 1950s diner wedged into the load space. The conversion was ok-ish and tidy, I wasn't happy with the way the 240v fuseboard and sockets were directly under the sink but that's not really my job. My job was to go round the van poking holes in it (literally, my thumb went straight through the drivers step) and making note of the many knackered brake pipes and barely legal tyres. The bonnet didn't open either so I decided to not bother with a test drive and went back to work.

Upside is someone else paid me to do that so they didn't have to drive 5 hours to discover it was a shed.

Recently sold a Saab 9-3 2.2 diesel on gumtree and tbh it was fairly painless. Few low ball offers but I just text back saying no thanks.

Saab 2.2 are actually ok. Bit agricultural as mentioned and do suffer from eml faults which are usually egr and vacuum related but all easily and cheaply sorted. I had same engine in a vectra get up to almost 300k miles.

In interest of balance for my good recent experience on gumtree I was selling a diesel Astra last year. Nothing special just an ordinary bog standard example that could have been found for sale anywhere in the country. Advertised it for £650 and had someone phone and ask if I'd knock £300 quid off the asking price as he'd have to pay travel costs from London to Glasgow to collect it. Buy one in London then ya dick they're not exactly hard to find.

post-20636-0-99215100-1481964061_thumb.jpeg

Not the greatest photo of course but when buying in the dark from a car auction with literally 5 minutes to determine any major faults WCPGW?

Zafira 2.2 pez

One former keeper although both at the same address and sold in 2002 to said person so I'm guessing IN-SHEW-RUNNNNCE purposes?

Still on dealer plates

6 months ticket

clean

Mot history pretty good

£413 all in, happy enough with that.

Fault list so far:

Bit slow turning over, looks a newish battery though but no alt light when charging, I'm guessing starter brushes as I've had this before with vaux from this generation, easy enough fix dependent on starter location.

Rear passenger leccy window inop

Bit of mayo on the oil cap, none in coolant though or dipstick?

T'internweb suggests this is due to short journeys which the mot history kind of backs up (only 109k in 15 years) and apparently OMGHGF is rare on this model engine? Fingers crossed although even if it has it looks pretty easy to do plus I have access to a machine shop etc.

Stereo wouldn't turn on when I first tried it but the removal of a Justin beiber cd by the auction driver who subsequently handed it to a fellow auctioneer seemed to cure it?

MIL on, according to mot history a bit of a long term thing

Not tons of history but I'm thinking maybe it was done at home as it is in really good nick?

No big dents or major scratches even.

I've found a photo keyring and a cheapy looking silver chain in it so I'm intending on sending it back to them via post with a few questions re:receipts etc, you never know.

Full book pack is there and seemingly a chain motor which sounded very sweet and quiet so HOPEFULLY no timing chain/belt roulette.

Is it sad to say I've actually always wanted one of these since 2005 after I went to Manchester in one?

Probably.

It's a £400 car with 6months mot that should give me more than enough time to see if it's a good un and fit for purpose so I'm not going to be too* devastated if a catastrophe occurs.

I will update asap, collection due Monday.

I had an R20 or two. What does that say about me?

I also had an R30 and a shit load of 25s... I was a serial Renault botherer and always thought they were decent cars apart from one of the 25s that used to lie like a politician and drove me so mad (lights out, engine overheating, stop and tail lights, door open....) i ripped the speaker out of the dash while sat in a traffic jam with nothing more than my manly hands...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not the greatest photo of course but when buying in the dark from a car auction with literally 5 minutes to determine any major faults WCPGW?

Zafira 2.2 pez

One former keeper although both at the same address and sold in 2002 to said person so I'm guessing IN-SHEW-RUNNNNCE purposes?

Still on dealer plates

6 months ticket

clean

Mot history pretty good

£413 all in, happy enough with that.

Fault list so far:

Bit slow turning over, looks a newish battery though but no alt light when charging, I'm guessing starter brushes as I've had this before with vaux from this generation, easy enough fix dependent on starter location.

Rear passenger leccy window inop

Bit of mayo on the oil cap, none in coolant though or dipstick?

T'internweb suggests this is due to short journeys which the mot history kind of backs up (only 109k in 15 years) and apparently OMGHGF is rare on this model engine? Fingers crossed although even if it has it looks pretty easy to do plus I have access to a machine shop etc.

Stereo wouldn't turn on when I first tried it but the removal of a Justin beiber cd by the auction driver who subsequently handed it to a fellow auctioneer seemed to cure it?

MIL on, according to mot history a bit of a long term thing

Not tons of history but I'm thinking maybe it was done at home as it is in really good nick?

No big dents or major scratches even.

I've found a photo keyring and a cheapy looking silver chain in it so I'm intending on sending it back to them via post with a few questions re:receipts etc, you never know.

Full book pack is there and seemingly a chain motor which sounded very sweet and quiet so HOPEFULLY no timing chain/belt roulette.

Is it sad to say I've actually always wanted one of these since 2005 after I went to Manchester in one?

Probably.

It's a £400 car with 6months mot that should give me more than enough time to see if it's a good un and fit for purpose so I'm not going to be too* devastated if a catastrophe occurs.

I will update asap, collection due Monday.

Oooh, get you with your fancy-pants 2.2-litre engine and rear leccy windows. We've got the bog basic 1.6 Comfort but it's been here about 15 years and is still going strong so I guess they're good old buses really. Less prone to bursting into flames than the newer ones certainly.