Am I a bad BUYAA or is he a bad SELLA?

vaughant

Jesus they'd have to be desperate to drug and rape me, and be strong to move me due to excess fatness!!!!

But yes it's sometimes a concern and I've heard of folk being forced to go to cashpoints, cars stolen etc. I suppose I just don't think of that really and still trust 95% of the population!!!!

If your the same dodge rover as on retro rides I actually bought a car off you years ago, a Corolla automatic, from up in Macclesfield.

But I could be way off!!!

Tis me from the blue forum but I've never had a Corolla in this country and my only association with Macclesfield is singing along to the Mac Lads....Hope the Corolla was a good one anyway :)

Edit do you mean LambDrover? I believe he's from Macclesfield and has a similar old rangie to mine as well.....

Car was a Volvo derv estate v70, old Audi motor, looked good but like I said, not bucket list fodder.

Criteria is :

Estate/mpv/possibly 4x4 type

Reliable

Preferably derv but not essential

Good on motorway

Comfy

Under £2k preferably under £1500/£1300

Turbo for grunt

Candidates are Saab 9-5 (gutted I missed an 07 aero hot for £850 ☹ï¸â˜¹ï¸â˜¹ï¸) derv or pez , Volvo but a bit scared of autoboxes as they seem horrifyingly poor t5 are just a bit too juicy but I won't rule one out completely.

Passat/a4/a6 tdi/1.8t.

Newish vectra (07 on) as its well within my price range

Ford Galaxy/seat Alhambra/VW shazza.

Most jap

Some French

No Italian cos "Ive heard the pub gossip"

DEFFO not a freelander as I detest everything about them.

Only one obvious candidate, that is an AutoShite top favourite...

Laguna II! :)

Mazda the same as a maverick? May not be too bad, we used to make the power take off unita for those in ford, nice bits of kit,maybe a 3.0l would suffice?

They're lovely, we had one for about 2 years surprisingly economical for a 3l V6.

I would have another if the GTW was higher, it would get an LPG conversion though.

Car was a Volvo derv estate v70, old Audi motor, looked good but like I said, not bucket list fodder.

Criteria is :

Estate/mpv/possibly 4x4 type

Reliable

Preferably derv but not essential

Good on motorway

Comfy

Under £2k preferably under £1500/£1300

Turbo for grunt

Candidates are Saab 9-5 (gutted I missed an 07 aero hot for £850 ☹️☹️☹️) derv or pez , Volvo but a bit scared of autoboxes as they seem horrifyingly poor t5 are just a bit too juicy but I won't rule one out completely.

Passat/a4/a6 tdi/1.8t.

Newish vectra (07 on) as its well within my price range

Ford Galaxy/seat Alhambra/VW shazza.

Most jap

Some French

No Italian cos "Ive heard the pub gossip"

DEFFO not a freelander as I detest everything about them.

I've put all your requirements into our random generator and it's come up with this, which is oddly enough for sale...

corsadd.jpg

you can thank me in £1,800's worth of £20 notes when you get here.corsadd.jpg

I've put all your requirements into our random generator and it's come up with this, which is oddly enough for sale...

attachicon.gifcorsadd.jpg

you can thank me in £1,800's worth of £20 notes when you get here.attachicon.gifcorsadd.jpg

Have you moved house, Billy?

If so, was your choice of abode based on proximity to green fronted garages?

Is it wrong to ditch a viewing just because I got a really bad feeling about the guy?

Not wrong at all. If the seller is a bellend - as this one appears to be - then the chances of something going wrong with the sale are increased by about 127648695%. I've done the same as you myself in the past and never regretted it; the last time I ended up buying a better car for less money from someone nice the following week.

Don't deal with nobheads, kids - life's too short.

I got a message from Carandclassic, a guy trying to buy the R20 off me. He sent me a mobile no, and said can you please ring me to discuss further - a bit odd, but anyways I did. It turned out to be a way to put me on the back-foot. I got a thoroughly aggressive, mumbling and undoubtedly pissed (2pm!?) Irish man, who kept cutting me short.

"What you asking for it?" 

"£2k like on the advert. Come and view it and you can make an offer"

"Do you realise there's one in better condition going for £1500?"

"Buy that one then"

"It's in better condition, so it is, and you're trying to screw me for 2 grand so you are........."

"You haven't seen either, so how do you know which is in better nick?"

"I would demand to see it before buying it so I would!"

"That's what I suggested."

"There's no way I'm paying 2 grand or anything like that for it"

"Don't bother coming then, you won't be taking it for peanuts."

"I won't be coming until after Christmas, and with that I bid you good day!"

Anybody who ever advertises a Renault 20 sooner or later gets this dickhead making contact - to my knowledge, he has never come good on a planned purchase yet. More hassle than it's worth with lots of sellers!

I got a message from Carandclassic, a guy trying to buy the R20 off me. He sent me a mobile no, and said can you please ring me to discuss further - a bit odd, but anyways I did. It turned out to be a way to put me on the back-foot. I got a thoroughly aggressive, mumbling and undoubtedly pissed (2pm!?) Irish man, who kept cutting me short.

"What you asking for it?" 

"£2k like on the advert. Come and view it and you can make an offer"

"Do you realise there's one in better condition going for £1500?"

"Buy that one then"

"It's in better condition, so it is, and you're trying to screw me for 2 grand so you are........."

"You haven't seen either, so how do you know which is in better nick?"

"I would demand to see it before buying it so I would!"

"That's what I suggested."

"There's no way I'm paying 2 grand or anything like that for it"

"Don't bother coming then, you won't be taking it for peanuts."

"I won't be coming until after Christmas, and with that I bid you good day!"

Anybody who ever advertises a Renault 20 sooner or later gets this dickhead making contact - to my knowledge, he has never come good on a planned purchase yet. More hassle than it's worth with lots of sellers!

That's great. I mean the guy sounds like a dick, and if he has an alcohol problem that's not nice to hear, but still. Makes me want to list an R20 and see if the myth is true,

Personal rule, if it's hard work, walk. People are generally arseholes and if they show that straight away, then thank them and move on.

Also had quite a few of the sellers with people who have offered more... travelled a fair way to look at a P5B coupe that was sad and neglected, he said it came out of a museum (one of which had closed in the town he lived in recently so plausible) but when we got there it was obvious he was a dealer/wannabe dealer with loads of utterly knackered old cars around. The Rover was as expected, pretty tired and emotional but it had a new MOT (obviously very suspect as the car was no way road worthy) so I made a fair offer. Got the ; 'had an offer for X already so not going to take that' so the dearly beloved and I exchanged glances, made our excuses and went to leave,

Then it all comes flooding out how he needs the cash fast so he'll take my offer even though it's an insult... I said No. The other chap has offered much more, best sell it to him.... He was obviously stuck: didn't want to admit to lying but didn't want the money walking away. I stuck with the fantasy buyer story and walked.

So many people try it on, fuck them and their heirs into eternity and walk away.

Personal rule, if it's hard work, walk. People are generally arseholes and if they show that straight away, then thank them and move on.

Also had quite a few of the sellers with people who have offered more... travelled a fair way to look at a P5B coupe that was sad and neglected, he said it came out of a museum (one of which had closed in the town he lived in recently so plausible) but when we got there it was obvious he was a dealer/wannabe dealer with loads of utterly knackered old cars around. The Rover was as expected, pretty tired and emotional but it had a new MOT (obviously very suspect as the car was no way road worthy) so I made a fair offer. Got the ; 'had an offer for X already so not going to take that' so the dearly beloved and I exchanged glances, made our excuses and went to leave,

Then it all comes flooding out how he needs the cash fast so he'll take my offer even though it's an insult... I said No. The other chap has offered much more, best sell it to him.... He was obviously stuck: didn't want to admit to lying but didn't want the money walking away. I stuck with the fantasy buyer story and walked.

So many people try it on, fuck them and their heirs into eternity and walk away.

That's one of those situations where you can see things from both perspectives to be fair. I am a butcher, and frequently tell the customers that the steak with the shortest life is the best we have seen for years - it seems like harmless white lies, and you have to be a bit of a bastard if you're running a small business, or you go under.

Never ring 'buyers', if making an outward phone call requires too much initiative on their part then you can forget them ever exchanging actual money for a car. This is a FACT.

never a truer word been said.

I have never ever ever sold a car to a texter ever, I had literally hundreds of texts when selling my colly but after three weeks it was the guy who actually had money on his phone and able to call me that bought it,

next time call and within 30 seconds of talking to the seller you will know if they are worth dealing with. ;-)  

There was a scam, was there not where 'buyer' messaged ebay sellers saying "i will pay the full asking price and collect this week, call me on this number to arrange"

And the number provided was a £20 a minute premium rate number disguised as a mobile.

Or did I dream it?

Either way, I never ring a potential buyer. Always happy to send them my number though.

As promised, I have been in communication with our Renault admiring Irish friend, albeit briefly

He proved disappointingly quick to anger and was clearly in some doubt that I was in fact Father Dougal McGuire, and showed little interest in joining me in a song despite my very best efforts and the choices I generously presented him with.

The cause was not entirely lost nor worthless. He exhibited an impressive command and mastery of the traditional Irish language which he lapsed into and shared with me towards the end of our chat.

My vocabulary has been enriched this evening with such cultural gems as, 'Bualadh craicinn', 'Focáil leat', 'Díul mó bhad' and my favourite, 'Feisigh do thoin fein'.

It has been a great day for the Irish.

Seller sounds like an arsehole. Delete number, forget it, move on. Simples!

Personally I prefer texts/emails as I can't stand dealing with the Pond Life that come crawling out when you try and sell a cheap car - half of these people I feel uncomfortable even giving my post code to. Another reason to just give cheap cars away to mates which is what I now tend to do.