REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

• 4 months later...

Today on "things nobody asked about":

d6d23f87c33369f56570b1299346078a.jpg

Shiny new bits!

Also changed the 3 auxiliary belts and am about to change the injector seals to stop it from spraying diesel on the underside of the bonnet.

Parts also at the ready to renew the rear brakes and cables, strut top bearings and probably some more things I've forgotten about.

Amazing what you can accomplish when you drag yourself out of the house for a change.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Might be after some 850 bits, if you're flogging 'owt

If you speak to Richard (previous owner of Mavis, current holder of Uma, and my father) he is better placed to know what is and isn't there.

Can I have the Clio's headlights if they don't have cataracts please?

They're not the worst, but I'm en route to the scrappys and have no tools. Unfortunately I'm on a fairly tight schedule to get it away8b0d5bddfa999bf461642b8dd57d8dcd.jpg

This is currently what it sounds like:

https://youtu.be/qTnHyd5DkhQ

No worries, they're a bit of a bugger to remove, bumper off job. Which scrappy is it going to?

It's going to nobles in Kirkcaldy. There's not much holding the bumper on to be honest, it faceplanted the ground in a big grassy field because of our expert* driving. Which is one of the reasons I didn't offer it on here for breaking, everything on it is at least somewhat broken.

The nice eastern European man working at the scrappy was kind enough to lift it up and take the alloys off for me!

3a5a785d1da59e9fe585b8367153938e.jpg

He also found my "Goodbye shit car!" amusing.

22 miles of exhaustless 1.4 clio made the run back in my friend's Civic 1.8 VTI with no back box sound positively serene.

07d846ff52a2dcbfde1f9241d0975124.jpg

Also somehow didn't attract any police attention despite adopting a "it's getting scrapped anyway" attitude on the drive.

I don't know whether I need the Grin, the Grump or the News 24, so I'll go for here. I will make two posts, one for people interested in the bigger picture (all none of you) and one for people who want to have a quick look at something funny car related.

Some THINGS are happening at work, short term eh but probably for the best. I stood down on Wednesday afternoon and my last management shift is on Sunday, I had the worst mental health day I can remember for a long time yesterday so it was worked out that I'd swap to day rather than evening today and take yesterday off. Which I absolutely feel better for, it gave me time to talk through the torrent of awful and wonderful things that constitute life. So I now find myself in the unusual position of it being 7:30 and I am voluntarily awake, actually out of bed drinking coffee on my sofa. Big step for me as usually I wake up 5 minutes after I should have probably left to get to work if I am working in the morning.

I have some packages (all chod related!) to pick up from the delivery office before work, I don't know what's in either of them yet and a third is arriving by courier at some point today. I only have two shifts left of the bullshit that's been bringing me down, and there is work behind the scenes to get me back with the store team run by one of the guys that trained me way back when nobody else believed I could do it. We proved them wrong and then some, and continue to do so, but circumstances that I probably can't talk about openly mean I had to make the difficult choice. All of this stress culminated in unleashing as yet untapped levels of verbal rage upon an older guy who chose (definitely a choice) to run out into the road directly in front of me. Thankfully he stopped in the middle when he realised there was no chance I could stop even from 25. Once my rational brain took back over I apologised as deeply as I could, shook his hand, then went Home (not my home but Home) to talk it all through. A deeply helpful experience, and it's honestly like a switch has flipped. Even better, the person outside of my family who I hold closest to my heart is making some real progress on her own mental health and that alone is enough to cheer me up endlessly. Overall a very mixed week.

"But REB" I hear you say, "what does any of this bullshit have to do with your cars?"

Everything! Nothing! Both!

It's a lot easier to do things with cars when you're not in the depths of depression, and I think I'm well on my way to throw myself into things when the days get a bit longer and my designated shop monkey finishes uni for the year. If I can get out of bed at 7am with as broken a sleep as I got last night for work, I sure as fuck can do it to build the car I've been dreaming of ever since I drove this:

975644b225a10cf361eb408d1be49b25.jpg

Which may give you a clue to my plans. But only a clue, because mine are slightly different.

Yes it just took me 45 minutes to write this post.

Yes I'll do the fun one now.

Sounds like plans afoot...

How you going to document your car transformation? Any chance of doing a project Binky type YouTube build? Might get some people to support it.

That's absolutely my plan, I filmed a little bit of the day we scrapped the clio, but my desktop is being a dick and won't play the files. Here will be the first to know. This is my YouTube channel just in case I forget! https://www.youtube.com/user/SheerBrightonRock

(Edit: 10 points to Griffynshite if you can name the long running 1970s group 15 year old me named my channel after!)

Excellent.... More things to watch.

Good luck - and well done on mental health part, getting started can always be the hardest part

If the idea of an Autistic bloke wittering about his build interests you, you'll definitely enjoy it.

I discovered a guy called PiggyPower recently, if you've not seen him I definitely recommend. Very down to earth and relatable.