REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

If not we can figure something out, my working pattern over the coming months is very vague because of another job change that's just been arranged. Haven't told current employer yet, so that should be interesting...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Why do modern acrylic plates look so shit? I thought it was the font sizing being "wrong" and the font itself being slightly off from the pre-2001 style, but it seems to go deeper than that.

The front plate on ex-MVS is an ebay embossed aluminium job, with the font being nigh on identical to a standard plate by necessity, it doesn't look at all out of place I think.

de92fd61e27495c1ca10646dab5b66b0.jpg

The current rear plate though is half of the pair that NewReg supplied with the registration mark, I think they charged me £18 for them. They look fairly rubbish in isolation, quite rubbish on the car, and up close they don't even look real to be honest.

01099a525f41e5685b1143bf4d197bdd.jpg

Proofreading this post, I think I realise now why I don't have any friends.

• 3 weeks later...

This was brought to my attention today:

275d6d6688b777a30fdde6499051f371.jpg

1740d511e790adbd06ecda3f1120fe9a.jpg

a4b39da53fa4487c385c663795b6dd74.jpg

It is a car that I have worked on in the past before it emerged the owner was a collosal wankstain, I hasten to add that I am in no way responsible for this. That's a rear shock absorber. It's not a difficult or long job to replace, I managed the one on the other side in about an hour and I'm a halfwit. He often has children in the car, and drives like an absolute clown. His tyres were pretty close to the limit 6 months ago, so by now they're probably rather bald.

I don't usually get involved in this sort of thing beyond telling people to stop being a fuckwit, but he obviously didn't take that in the last time, so the poPo have been made aware, before he kills someone. Did I do the right thing?

Is he (assumption) genuinely pleased with that repair*

From what I've been told, yes. He sees no issue, and acts as if it's a sensible course of action. Obviously it'll not make another MOT but 2 months is too long for something like that to be going about.

Did you do the right thing? Yes.

It's not just his kids he's putting at risk either.

The worst part is that they're not his kids, it's nieces and nephews. If I found out a family member was taking my kids in a deathtrap like that dying on the roads would be the least of their worries.

• 2 weeks later...

I have identified it as coolant, but not a clue where it's coming from. Good start.

I have some Lucas TD injectors if you want them reb.

I think the injector itself is ok, just leaking around the seal. Hopefully tightening it up a little bit will solve it. Just none of the spanners I chucked in the boot this morning are big enough, so I need to venture to the lockup to retrieve the unnecessarily large spanner set. There's a funny noise coming from the cambelt end of the engine, I'm assuming that's to do with the leak?

It's 27mm, a deep socket helps.

Is the water pump gubbed?

The water pump is just over a year old, but the noise does seem to be coming from that general area. Getting it recovered home to be on the safe side. Injector seal is away on cylinder 1 too, so now starts the joy of finding out what one I need and where to get it

Today, in an effort to find out precisely where the pug is spewing out all its fluids, I'm cleaning up the engine so I can tell what's fresh and what's just normal buildup from 24 years of being an XUD. It seems to be going quite well. Gunk degreaser smells lovely and looks like tizer. 3 in 1 foaming degreaser is fun to use and pretty effective, but manky old diesel engine probably requires more than the full can I've thrown at it so far.c55e748f8451d2ad351ba51a95bb6dc0.jpg130ecdd1be672076387a318a5c010dda.jpg8bf07614f6ca158ad7b9650150608258.jpgdd7a3f4519ea474d3b5e7f18c8c56cf9.jpg9ae349fa0ab16fa295c2b7b14a1cddcf.jpg

Due to a knackered latch and just generally being made out of rot, I've swapped the bootlid from UMA onto Mavis, it looks slightly silly with the mix of phase 1 and 2 lights!

8851cdc17834bbb6da74423b0cba3932.jpg

I think I prefer the spoiler-free look, so it's staying like this for a while, but obviously I'll be retaining the spoiler just in case.

98951929925ad91a73a63c7b3bacc0d5.jpg

This is why professional window tinting costs lots of money.

eab364d6c235bd29d1c32c6a104f3a7f.jpg

It's not as bad as it looks in the photo, and I wasn't finished dealing with bubbles yet, but it very much isn't as easy as some people on the internet suggest it is. The wind which arrived after I'd already started really didn't help.

I keep meaning to do the 406 but I always struggle like you.

I did find somewhere online that would send you the precut film to just fit.

I would have managed fine if it was a less windy day I think. I'm going to use this cheap tint as a learning experience and once I'm confident buy some proper tint that didn't come from hellfrauds.

I found cutting it to shape to be not too bad really, except the provided knife was shit and broke immediately.

• 1 month later...