1981 Citroen Visa Super E

JohnK

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The good news was the team removed the engine and took the head off it in September.

The bad news is the liners are low and ruffgezzer thinks simply replacing the head gasket with not last very long. 

To rebuild the engine is going to cost a fair amount so my preference is simply to pop a secondhand one in, the problem is finding one. I do has a spare of unknown condition with the drop gears missing from Gogentley, but I need to remove the head to inspect it. It looks like it has been sitting around for a while now and why was it removed.

There is no cover where the car is located so I guess it will be spring before anything happens with it.

post-4787-0-04393100-1512144104_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-97243200-1512144123_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-57020800-1512144237_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-30001500-1512144271_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

No need to be sorry about talking about this.

I still have the car and no progress has been made.

The options are:

·         To rebuild its original engine, it was never cooked badly so this should be straightforward enough if you have the right skills.

·         Pop in another 1124cc engine, but I can’t find one in the UK. The only one I have found was a 954cc and all things considered I would not enjoy driving it with a downgraded engine. I have also looked at 1360cc and there seems to be the odd one, but the problem is using the existing 4 speed gearbox needs an adaptor plate which are rare or a new subframe and mounting welded on to use a 5 speed gearbox.

·         Break it for spares.

I also have GoGently’s spare engine that needs the head removing to check the condition. I guess I don’t have a great deal of confidence that it is ok because no history is known, the drop gears are removed and why was it taken out of a car. I should check and the solution may be sitting there all the time, the problem is it took four Autoshitters to get the head off last time!

I bought the Super E for spares and while it would be good to save it is not the model I really want to spend my time and money on. I have 3 running Visas and my project Visa GT that needs my attention to return to the road.

If you want to buy it then I would release it. If you fancy popping the cylinder head off the spare engine to see if there is a solution that would be great.

Any other ideas considered to save the car!

post-4787-0-98760700-1537253834_thumb.jpg

If you want to buy it then I would release it. If you fancy popping the cylinder head off the spare engine to see if there is a solution that would be great.

Any other ideas considered to save the car!

Hmmm that's interesting. I could actually be very interested in this. Would you consider PM'ing me with a price you have in mind for it as is? Its been a long time since I had a visa but am a past owner of 3, so I do know them.

Update and question time.  Yesterday myself and the better half popped over to see Six-cylinder and the visa, also had the luck of meeting Bucketeer at the same time. Both top chaps as expected from AS regulars. 

I have a question for everyone who was there when the head came off this thing, what led to the thoughts the liners had moved?  I read in the thread that it was thought that there was one sat too low, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Was the crank turned whilst the head was off? That's it with the stupid questions for now luckily.

It is great to see the car progressing towards a return to the road.

The liners are supposed to stick up 4-7 thou above the block and these are just level. The engine was not turned once the head was removed and the liners did not move as a result of the head removal. Ruffgezzer who was part of the team who took it apart advised me that simply replacing the head gasket with the liners level to the block would probably result in a short life before HGF. There is a gasket under the liners which is a likely candidate for changing.

Thanks Chris, that’s interesting, with a straight edge and a set of feelers gauges, they all appear to be proud. But as it’s apart I will replace them anyway as it’s just the best bet. I have managed to find and order a complete gasket set, which appears to also include the liner bottom seals. When it arrives I will get stuck in.

Who owns this magnificent beast now? I assume it's changed hands a couple of times since the roffle was cancelled..

Errrr well, nearly me. I’m sure Six-cylinder won’t mind me saying. We have made a deal. I’m selling my AX to make space ( AX advert will go up here next day or two) I’ve currently got the visa engine at my place for repairs.

Errrr well, nearly me. I’m sure Six-cylinder won’t mind me saying. We have made a deal. I’m selling my AX to make space ( AX advert will go up here next day or two) I’ve currently got the visa engine at my place for repairs.

Buy a car to fit your engine.

A gentleman of unquestionable logic and forethought.