Wobbler ZX - £SOLD - short mot, new wiper blade

dollywobbler

Could the ZX, in all practical day to day terms, be the best Citroen ever made?

I think it's the one designed in the Peugeot era which has the most integrity, it doesn't feel like one maker's design using another one's bits.

Best is a bit subjective, but I love them and they are bloody good. Just the collapsing Pug rear axle and a personal dislike for XUD belt arrangements which prevents me from running one as a banger, although having seen the price of new axles on the Blingo thread it makes them more appealing.

Egg - there is a pull-up sun blind in the parcel shelf. Most BXs have them too. Pointless in Britain.

a personal dislike for XUD belt arrangements 

Ugh. Don't get me started. Decided to quickly nip out to fit the new tensioner. Discovered the bottom bolt has snapped off in the block. Useful! Tried bodging it with a nut and some spacers, but the squeal from the belt reveals the truth - not enough tension. That's become a job for another day. Not got time to sort it out. Annoying. Also, the new aux belt seems about 2mm too short. FFS.

Egg - there is a pull-up sun blind in the parcel shelf. Most BXs have them too. Pointless in Britain.

Ugh. Don't get me started. Decided to quickly nip out to fit the new tensioner. Discovered the bottom bolt has snapped off in the block. Useful! Tried bodging it with a nut and some spacers, but the squeal from the belt reveals the truth - not enough tension. That's become a job for another day. Not got time to sort it out. Annoying. Also, the new aux belt seems about 2mm too short. FFS.

I found that with the aux belt on the ZX and Xantia when I replaced them. I think the old belts just stretch a bit.

On both I found it easier to fit the belt to all bar the alternator on the ZX and HP pump on the Xant, then get a bit of the belt around whatever pulley is easier then rotate the engine with one hand (breaker bar on an extension wedged against your knee so it holds still) then feed the belt onto the pulley with the other hand.

That's a job for another day. It's back together with the old belt for now.

This seems to have worked.

15578687_10154802900163200_8100793725436

I see it's not the block that the bolt has seized in, but this large alternator/PAS pump mount bit that sticks out of the side. I've used the washers to control how much bolt sticks above the bottom of the tensioner, and therefore fixes the amount of tension on said tensioner. Took a couple of goes to get the number of washers correct (the pic actually shows it with the belt too loose).

Actually I think on the ZX I loosened the alternator, popped the belt on then pushed it back to where it was and nipped it up. Couldn't adjust the tensioner much though, less slack belt I think, was find though, I did say to myself I would check it after a few weeks but never did...

The ZX has probably only covered 30 miles since I got it back home, if that. Too busy mucking about with other cars.

I tell you what though, having just driven over 900 miles in a Qashqai, it's amazing how pleasant the ZX is to jump back into. Bar the cold start up, it's remarkably refined, handles superbly (with much better feel than the blingy Nissan) and generally feels very pleasant.

Of course, the speedo didn't work until I smacked the top of the dashboard, and the carpets seem damp. Meh. No car is perfect.

C0NiIJ5XEAA1QRP.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bet it's the bottom corner of the windscreen seal/trim, just like the now-Beko-Xantia.

Its never leaked there ever yet. Granted I've not had the carpets up in an 'I'm not fucking about finding that in winter' kind of way but the carpets dry, and it's been raining alot here recently and I've gone up and down the m40 in it and no water

I did half arsedly hoover out loads of leaves and compost where I could reach with a crevice tool the other week though, want to get the scuttle off and do it properly, but having done that to my last 2 zxs the rubber lip that goes onto the windscreen is a twat when cold, so it's more a job for a warm day.

On a sunroof related theme, drain tubes clear? The xms blocked up and let the footwell flood, I sat in it whilst it was hammering it down one day and saw it drip out of the bit of trim by the door. Fixed that then the case the started leaking so out came the tiger seal...

• 2 weeks later...

ZX 1.9D na estate, one of the most comfy relaxed long-distance load carriers, here's one I fitted a new starter/cam belt/water pump/tensioner and  drove UK/Frogland/Espain/Portugal with a cement mixer in the back.  NOW returned to Blighty and available in Surrey for £100. With towbar - no radio and interestingly modified glovebox. 

post-7239-0-94822400-1485608451_thumb.jpg

I've got service items on the way next week. We're off to a wedding in York next weekend. Was thinking about taking the 2CV, but this is a trip where the destination is more important than the drive to get there. Also, I haven't yet sorted out the 2CV's hideous noise levels. The ZX feels like a bloody limo by comparison. Albeit full of the usual BECAUSE FRENCH trim creaks. That's why fixing the radio was a priority...

ZX 1.9D na estate, one of the most comfy relaxed long-distance load carriers, here's one I fitted a new starter/cam belt/water pump/tensioner and  drove UK/Frogland/Espain/Portugal with a cement mixer in the back.  NOW returned to Blighty and available in Surrey for £100. With towbar - no radio and interestingly modified glovebox. 

Damn, was after one of these for ages then brought the xsara van of much rattleness. Garden is full of zx and bx so no room left for another. Bargain price though, and a good mot history.

Due to impending OMEGAWDness, the ZX needs to be shifted. Would rather straight-sell than ROFFLE as space and cash needed for OMEGAWDness rescue!

MOT 23rd Feb, recent offside rear wheel bearing, aux belt tensioner AND front wiper blade. Just got the radio working again. There is a leak into the driver's footwell, but I'm pretty sure it's just rain and not coolant. Sale includes oil and filters! If you're really lucky, I might even get them fitted.

£150, no swaps. 

16299425_10154965200643200_2629553420040

16388074_10154965201328200_6511397940386

It won't be £150 with MOT! That's a 'short MOT' price only. That said, it's not going to go up vastly.

Just gave it an oil and filter change. Yup, I'd say that was needed!

C3gEU1ZXAAEQpOq.jpg

A test drive suggests it's cured the drop-off in power I've been getting after foot-to-the-floor moments - something you do a lot in a non-turbo diesel.

I also reckon it's going to need a tickle with a welder to get that floor through. There's a definite hole there. We'll see on Thursday.