Wobbler ZX - £SOLD - short mot, new wiper blade

dollywobbler

As some of you may be aware, I won the ZXROFFLECOPTER on Saturday. It's been an agonising week, while I've battled work deadlines and logistics, watching on as Wilsons' ROFFLEd Lexus went zipping off to its new home while the bonus ball was still rocking.

I will not be live reporting the happenings on here, as it's a pain in the arse on my phone. So, here now follows some pre-caper thinks, with a full post-caper report to follow once I get a chance. OLD SKOOL.

I entered the roffle purely because it was cheap. Then, because it was cheap, I decided to have two tickets. MAN SENSE. Do I need a ZX? Well, not really. Especially as, having waved goodbye to the XM after an impressive 18 months, I've realised that I've had enough diesel Citroens thank you very much. I can't say I even like the ZX that much. I've probably just ignored them because they're not hydro, and therefore they must be dull and boring. This, I'll admit, is rather silly a conclusion to have, especially as I've previously owned a Peugeot 306 (pretty much the same thing) and it was superb. I even like the ZX's styling (pre-facelift - can't be doing with the silly grille). I look forward to actually seeing what it is like.

The plan then. Mrs DW is joining me on this one, which she may regret as we rise at about half six tomorrow. We're aiming to hit the road at half seven, which is hilarious, as anyone who's seen the pair of us trying to leave the house on time will attest. Cue now scenes of me getting grumpy that we can't leave yet, while essential things for the trip are actually remembered. BORING.

We shall jump aboard the RAV, and point it towards Sutton Coldfield. We need to get there, abandon the car with the father of the friend who has bought it off me and get to the train station for 1103hrs. In theory, this is possible with a great deal of comfort.

The first train abandons us in the confusing world of New Street station for 13 minutes, before we hop aboard our next train for the trip down to Reading. We should arrive there at 1307hrs, where it is said a shambolic BX will transport us to our destination, like a clapped out taxi of old.

Once pleasantries have been dealt with, we'll then hurtle back to Wales as fast as 71bhp can take us, where we hope to join our friends for a party. During all this, we'll be trying to record video on two devices, as well as live-reporting our exploits on Twitter. You don't need to sign up. https://twitter.com/dollywobbler

Wow. I am so sorry about all this. 

I genuinely don't know what to say. I'd never had it step a foot wrong in the time I had it, and the loss of power is even more surprising as the engine always impressed me, the mis-fire is something it also never did.

I probably look like some chancer who was keen to shift some dodgy motor now.....honestly though I don't know why the car I thought would run fault free back has given you so many issues. 

If I was closer to you I'd be on my way right now to help out. I'm really sorry. 

Unfortunately I cleared out amazon of all the cheap brake drums with wheel bearings pre fitted. Easy job though, just be aware the rear hub nut is torqued up to some poundage! Get it recovered to Coventry and I'll give you a 100% profit on your ticket costs :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Yup. Found a local garage and we were just in time to order a new bearing. We've pulled the old one off, which is utterly destroyed. At least one roller has broken up completely. Lots of blue metal!

We'll be heading back to the garage later for them to press the new bearing in.

Blimey, caught that in time then! Could that be why it felt down on power? The poor engine having to keep pulling whilst the bearing destroyed itself?

I do vaguely remember when my 306's rear wheel bearing failed, even the turbo XUD (somewhat tuned too) struggled when the wheel bearing 'blipped' so to speak. Then the bearing eventually exploded completely.

Good to see you're home safely DW!