LML star: Green Lanes & Byways

Fabergé Greggs

The tubeless wheels are meant to be loads better, but as a skinflint I could never see myself shelling out for them.

Tubeless tyres are different as well I think, so just to do 2 wheels + tyres tubeless is what, nearly £200 all in?

The tubeless wheels are meant to be loads better, but as a skinflint I could never see myself shelling out for them.

Tubeless tyres are different as well I think, so just to do 2 wheels + tyres tubeless is what, nearly £200 all in?

I've already got a Michelin S83 that does tubes or tubeles- and I was thinking of just doing the front as that is the one I'd have a hard time taming if the worst happened. So it would just be 15 versus 55 at this point, though minus a tenner for a new tube..

It's been totally great- as expected there was some electrical gremlins that seem all sorted now, and someone must have swapped out the CDI and stator before. The 200 auto's are supposed to be very quick, though parts are in short supply as the factory keeps shutting/ going bust. 

For that reason if it was me I'd probably stick with the 2 strokes- infinite parts supply 4 EVA

I struggle with the manual gears on them, sadly. Would probably sign up for a Scomadi tomorrow if they weren't so sodding hopeless at actually having any in stock.

I struggle with the manual gears on them, sadly. Would probably sign up for a Scomadi tomorrow if they weren't so sodding hopeless at actually having any in stock.

There's another company making something nearly identical to scomadis now I think, but they have metal panels.

Doooo iiittt

So the same factory that is knocking out the Scomadi is going to produce a metal bodied Li150 clone

I like this

a LOT

Esp in Orange

IMG_6427-900x900.JPG

Mind you the Scomadi doesnt look bad either - The mint green is nice too.

It'd be down to price in the end for me as a commuter bike.

200-side-orange.jpg

However....

Scomadi Limited and Scomadi Worldwide Limited have now commenced proceedings in the High Court in England and Wales against RA Engineering Co. Limited,  Mr Yiming Chen and Moto GB Limited, in relation to a number of claims for infringement of registered designs, unregistered design, trade mark infringement and passing off.

The background to this dispute is that Frank Sanderson and Paul Melici of Scomadi, designed, promoted, engineered and conceived of a modern scooter which, although reminiscent of the golden days of classic scootering, is manufactured to the highest modern engineering standards.  The Scomadi retro scooter is the subject of extensive intellectual property rights and protection.

It is not proposed to make repeated public statements regarding this matter but it is important that all of Scomadi’s customers and distributors know that it is actively asserting its position and will continue to supply its unique, high quality and specially conceived products to the international market.

Ooops, but seeing as most Chinese courts seem to laugh at the copyright thing, it will probably just stop it being sold officially in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to replacing the original mega hard compound tire on the back- after 14,000 miles using a lot of back brake it was showing precisely zero wear. Mental. 

I bought one of the SIP tubeless rims and had a Michelin S83 put on, which I've put on the front, and swapped the tubed S83 to the back. 

IMG_7277.jpg

What took me so long? The handling is about 100% better. I'm an idiot. 

Bonus points for spotting the can of chopped tomatoes- the centre stand is such on these that they usually rest on the stand and the back wheel, but it's long enough that if you find something of a suitable size to wedge under the gearbox, it'll rock forward onto the stand and front wheel, letting you swap the back wheel. 

IMG_7276.jpg

Here it is nestled up next to the DAF. They're approximately the same size. 

IMG_7282.jpg

http://scootermoda.motogb.co.uk/model/LML-4-Stroke-200-Pre-Reg

Local scooter dealer is doing the 125 2T for £48/month at 0% or the 200 4T at £54/month 0% and I have to say Im pretty mixed - the difference in price makes me think that the 200 would be the better bet for daily use, but its a 4T and Im given to understand that spares are an issue whereas the 2T can be fitted with all sorts of parts from Bajaj to Vespa to LML Star.

2T is going to be easier to work on, plus the bonus they sound and smell like a scooter/motorbike should. There's probably mega offers on the 2T as well, because they're being phased out now.

Edit: Scomadi aren't far from you either, M. Just saying like.

I'd say go for the 2t- but budget for £150 of bits to derestrict it and prepare to have the warranty invalidated. They're something like 5hp from the factory and 8-9 derestricted- makes a huge difference.

They both have their weak spots- but as you say on the 4t it seems it can be fatal, especially now LML are in receivership, whereas in the 2t they can be gradually upgraded to PX parts as things wear. Everything can be swapped out.

If you're commuting, bear in mind that the 2t isn't the most economical of things, I think I've seen under 50mpg if I totally cane it. If you have a long commute the difference in fuel could add up compared to a modern.

Most of all though, 2t's are just ace and anyone that isn't charmed by their smell and sound should take a long hard look at themselves.

I didn't know they were in receivership, I bet a few dealers and people with warranties are cacking it now. Incidentally, one local dealer (now closed) offered to warranty the warranty if you bought an LML new and paid them to put a 166 kit on it. Would reckon pretty much any LML dealer would offer the same now to be honest, thought I expect you'd want that in writing!

Edit: Scomadi aren't far from you either, M. Just saying like.

No, they are not, but they never seem to have any stock in - and what they do have is spoken for.

Shame, but the LML seems to be at least more available in a selection of colours. Cant make up my mind between yellow, orange or sage.

Whatever - I want the guy who did this to airbrush me Pocahontas in a canoe on the side of the bike...

20687108_474646979572841_564174620396093

• 3 months later...

This continues to ring ting ting on a daily basis.

I thought about putting some new rear brake pads on but decided I'd need a new cotter pin which I dont have.

Adjusted the idle a little instead.

Major stuff huh?

post-17997-0-49468200-1512226226_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I should have had a go on this when you offered - looked and sounded good.

I'm going to have to have a garage clear out and also shift some of the bikes I rarely use. I have a Suzuki Hokuto 110cc scooter, two stroke but twist and go that has done 25 miles since a complete engine rebuild, but just don't like it. I want another 2T scooter but I'd like a geared 2T now and the LML looks good if it can be kept running using bits from other bikes ok.

I should have had a go on this when you offered - looked and sounded good.

I'm going to have to have a garage clear out and also shift some of the bikes I rarely use. I have a Suzuki Hokuto 110cc scooter, two stroke but twist and go that has done 25 miles since a complete engine rebuild, but just don't like it. I want another 2T scooter but I'd like a geared 2T now and the LML looks good if it can be kept running using bits from other bikes ok.

Pop round one day when the sun is shining, it's an open invitation. Especially if you're thinking of getting one! Suzuki sounds interesting-must be a bit nippy being a 110 2 stroke? 

Seriously, these are great. They're 99.9999% Vespa PX, so no parts worries in the future, guaranteed. I have noticed that the gap in price between these and PX's is slowly narrowing, as common sense slowly prevails over badge snobbery. 

The LML 4 stroke is a different kettle of fish, my advice would be AVOIDLIKETHEPLAGUE

Arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! FFS! Going to have to get a stroker now, sod it.

You'll get no discouragement from these quarters. 

Had a feeling that the MOT was due to expire soon, so thought I’d better have a check, turns out it was yesterday.

It’s front caliper is a little sticky, and having priced up new pads and a rebuild kit plus potential for disaster, I decided to splurge on a new caliper.

Riddle me this.. will I need a new crush washer for the banjo bolt?

• 2 weeks later...

Purplebargeken offered a hand with spannering this afternoon so we popped the new calliper on which was easy as pie.
IMG_0750.jpg

Looking at the pads on the old one shows that one piston was basically inactive.
IMG_0764.jpg

It was a bit reluctant to bleed at first, but with some perseverance (okay, and maybe undoing the bleed nipple helps) it started to feel a bit better. Still not tip top though so it can stay like this over night to see if that helps. I defo remember this being the miracle method on my X1/9 when I replaced all calipers and master cylinder.
IMG_0766.jpg

And what's this? The temptation proved too much for Ken, who couldn't resist a spin round the block. I think he was last seen in DM's and Parka in a fight in with his former rocker self.