Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

What emissions shit is on it, do they have an EGR loop?

EGR and a cat, and some very basic electronic diesel control that adjusts the timing and monitors coolant temp, injection quantity etc.

I think it's a similar setup to late XUD TDs fitted to Xantias and 406s.

ad8eef466bfc1f6ed147431d921b9970.jpg

"DETAILING WORLD"

Easter Ross is stuck in the early 90s, soz.

CENTRAL (TIMING) BELT

I had one of these as a credit hire back in 2001 when a Sierra I bought got smacked up the arse 15 minutes after I bought it. Everyone who drove it loved the thing and I was impressed with how well it ran on cherry. According to the owners manual some markets were lucky enough to be able to spec their Blingo with a 1.1 petrol engine, lucky bastards! I'd love to own a 1.1 pez, perhaps even more than a 1397cc Renner Trafic.

The engine's a lot less tappy today and seems to be going better. It was laid up for a month before I collected it. I believe an XUD9TE drops almost straight into these... BOOOST.

The pliant ride means I can drive faster on country roads than in the leaf sprung and harsh Caddy in spite of the power deficit. The Berlingo was designed as a van and seems better for it, it's not a SEAT with a box on the back like the Caddy.

D'ye remember when Clarkson wasn't a dick?

My HDi has given me no issues so far, except the sump rusting through which isn't really engine specific.

I've changed the oil a couple of times and done the cambelt etc, that's it so far in 20k miles. 

I'm on strictly rich person genuine shop diesel though, as LP said an XUD turbo is pretty much bolt in for the ultimate mingebag/performance combo.

Thing is LP regarding the HDis, I enjoy wringing the last possible bit of grip from a decent French chassis to give you a speed advantage over more powerful German stuff, as probably you do. Lots of power doesn't mean much more speed on a good road.

I love old French cars for lazy performance but scorching A to B times, it's so much more satisfying than brute force and makes a better driver out of you. More relaxing no matter whether going quickly or slowly.

It's still an IDI head. I have no idea why they didn't just add some emissions crap to an XUD. Not sure about fuel onsumption, it was on dregs when I picked it up, topped it up with 20l of veg* I had in a backpack and put some more fuel in as and when it needed it. Around the 40MPG mark I guess, lots of people complain about DW8 fuel consumption.

Good buy. I had one of these, sold it to a chap I work with, he is steadily crashing it into everything he can find. It looks rough as fuck now.

I put new doors on it, pulled the wing straight and rotary polished it when I had it.

I bypassed the original filter arrangements and fitted a modified XUD one I had in the shed and added a priming grenade.

And turned up the fuel a bit. Made better progress up hill.

Running on expensive fuel just now, it starts very well but stumbles until it warms up. Do these have a cold start device? It is too cold outside to look at it properly.

Not sure on this, older ones have a wax stat thing somewhere around the front of the engine that pulls a cable attached to the pump.

On your semi-ECU contraption, might be electronic or might be one of those.