Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

Aye I fucked up. I've read about Bosch to Lucas swaps many times before and must have missed the bit about swapping the studs. Y u no fit Bosch to all XUDs?

It's starting and running sweetly now and I'm pleased the cooling fans kicked in to stop it overheating at idle last night.

There's still plenty to do but at least the engine is sorted now.

One annoying thing is the light on the dash for the key and incessant beeping, I hope removing the bulb in the dash might kill it.

Thanks to Richard for saving the day, I don't think I'd have worked it out on my own.

Indeed it does.

Replacing the wishbone bushes has made the front wheels a bit knock kneed, it's very unpleasant to drive even at low speeds around the yard.

I guess the tracking was set with worn bushes, the track rod ends are fairly recent.

It also needs tyres, the exhaust connected and various gubbins reconnected in the engine bay.

Dishwasher tablet coolant flush as well - the contents dribbling out of the heater matrix when it was disconnected were disgusting.

Aye I fucked up. I've read about Bosch to Lucas swaps many times before and must have missed the bit about swapping the studs.

I've a feeling the mentions of the studs, of which there are many, tend to occur in the "I've changed the pump and now it runs like shit" threads rather than the "how do I change the pump" threads that you would have been looking at.

facepalm_68037276_orig_.jpg

Now a brake pipe is burst, I can't see where it's coming from because it's all wet from driving through puddles. FFS!

Seems to drive okay at least, seems nippy even without the intercooler and air intake plumbed in.

The DW8 speedo connector plugs into the XUD sender but it doesn't seem to work. Double FFS.

• 3 months later...

Y0 gang. This is still a work in progress. It runs and drives but needs some finishing. I have lost the intercooler somewhere, and could use any rear brake parts that someone has kicking about (charity plea) also a cone air filter because the original airbox won't fit.

Does anyone know how to disable the immobiliser beeper? I think it's somewhere around the fusebox.

1456005455206.jpg

I set fire to a jump lead hot wiring the glow plugs to start it.

• 3 months later...

xF9MQpe.jpg

Brakes fixed. The hose looked okay at first glance, but Hutchinson is PSA's OE supplier so it's likely 17 years old.

HqnfAH6.jpg

Ughhhh.

xaCRbjQ.jpg

I took it for a spin on a private* back road, the bad tracking (due to my mis-fitting one of the wishbone 'P' bushes I think) makes it terrifying to steer but other than that it goes and stops very well, the 1.9 TD boosting and picking up nicely. That quick drive has spurred me on to get it on the road soon. It just needs a couple of small patches on the inner wings, the exhaust and air intake/filter hooked up properly, glow plug and stop solenoid wiring, and that bloody wishbone.

Does anyone have some 'short head' PSA steel wheel bolts kicking about? It's running a mix of Xsara and Berlingo wheel bolts and it looks silly.

I also want to KILL the ignition beeper, it's crying because the immobiliser no longer exists. Does anyone know how to kill it without tearing the dashboard apart?

As far as the immobiliser is concerned, do you still have the immobiliser unit from the original DW8 engine installation?  Best thing would be to plug it back in, but it be sat there doing nothing.  There is a small ECU box for it somewhere, but I have no idea where on the pre-facelift Blingo.

I think this may also be related to why you have no glowplugs on the key too.  If the immobiliser is having a hissy fit, it will refuse to allow the plugs to run, or (if it were installed) allow fuel to flow.  IIRC you could still crank the engine with the immobiliser activated, it just would not start.