Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

I remembered tonight that I have previous in Berlingo resurrection, in a purely advisory capacity. My friend got one cheap a few years ago because it had resisted all attempts to make it go. I suggested that it might have broken rockers and I was right, but...

I checked the cam timing and found that he'd got it wrong. Try again

Having the cam timing wrong has broken more rockers. Time to experience the legendary French accessibility again.

6065289050_365a5a599b_b.jpg

Third time lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

3c21e829b2c542521f108660da57e72d.jpg

It's stalled a little because I'm lazy and it's outside.
I started on the work it needs for the MOT last weekend, new CV boot, balljoints, pinch bolts and wishbone bushes. I thought it just needed the 'P' bushes but the round bushes on the nearside are gubbed as well.
I measured up the exhaust and bought a section of reducing pipe to join the Xsara front pipe to the Berlingo middle section.
The air intake needs rerouted, the loom tidied up and bits of XUD loom attached.
The rev counter, oil level and speedo plugs look similar but don't match. Cheers PSA!
The glow plugs don't work off the ignition, I'm not sure why not.
I finally have the pulley to go with the Bosch pump but not sure I can be arsed fitting it immediately. I bought a Lucas stop solenoid so I can use the Prince of Darkness in the meantime.
A long list but it's all fairly straightforward.

3c21e829b2c542521f108660da57e72d.jpg

It's stalled a little because I'm lazy and it's outside.

I started on the work it needs for the MOT last weekend, new CV boot, balljoints, pinch bolts and wishbone bushes. I thought it just needed the 'P' bushes but the round bushes on the nearside are gubbed as well.

I measured up the exhaust and bought a section of reducing pipe to join the Xsara front pipe to the Berlingo middle section.

The air intake needs rerouted, the loom tidied up and bits of XUD loom attached.

The rev counter, oil level and speedo plugs look similar but don't match. Cheers PSA!

The glow plugs don't work off the ignition, I'm not sure why not.

I finally have the pulley to go with the Bosch pump but not sure I can be arsed fitting it immediately. I bought a Lucas stop solenoid so I can use the Prince of Darkness in the meantime.

A long list but it's all fairly straightforward.

Have you nominated this shot for the 2018 calendar?

"Just put an xud in - straight swap they are "

Are they fuck ! Like all engine swaps

Aye. I think with experience and less conflicting advice online it could be done over a weekend. It isn't plug and play, that's for sure.

Have you nominated this shot for the 2018 calendar?

Non. It will look grainy as fuck embiggened, my camera phone is noisy.

If it makes you feel any better my experience shows that all engine swaps are the same .,I've had stuff with the same engine code out of the same year car have different mounts , manifolds and even dipsticks .

Favourite was a little punto 8v where even the cam spkt was different and rubbed the head !

Could it have moved a tooth on the crank pulley while it was loose? The cam-pump-crank side needs to be supa tight to make slack on the other side.

Otherwise maybe try removing the tensioner completely, then putting the belt on, then the tensioner.

There is normally a hand primer on these but that only gets you as far as the pump.

To bleed one of these up I would:

Crack off the outlet on the pump

Pump the hand bleeder until fuel comes out - close outlet

Crack the injectors, one at a time, and turn the engine over a bit to check there's fuel

Crank away like a bastard till it eventually catches. 

Note: the last step is not recommended by Haynes manuals or those with mechanical sympathy, crank for 20-30 seconds max at a time before  stopping for 1 min to cool things down.