Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

There's quite a bit of wiring involved in making it a fully functional vehicle with instruments, cooling fans, glow plugs, etc. I realise the engine itself doesn't need much.

I have a feeling the impenetrable* Lucas pump immobiliser has kicked in. It will be sorted but I don't want to look at it for a week at least.

Fair play, many progress has been made this weekend so well done.

As a suggestion on the wiring, you can get a technical subscription to service.Citroen.com by the hour, think its about 6 euro for the hour but that should give unlimited access to wiring diagrams and the like.

You can get the relevant bits for the 2 cars downloaded and/or printed off easily in an hour and go from there.

Impress.

Its the home straight now, but thats when fuck-ups are too easy to make, IME.

Have a day or two away from it and go in fresh....she will be running in a few hours.

Just in case....disconnect the battery while you leave it. Dont want some un-noticed short slowly heating things up. Especially not in a massive shed full of firewood.

The battery's in the back.

It wouldn't have been possible without Richard's good will and tenacity, visiting me in the TOO FAR NORTH and spending two days grazing his knuckles and fighting with driveshafts and engine mounts. I'd have set fire to it by now.

Not to mention the good will of the people I work for, lending me a forklift and a BIG SHED for the weekend.

It's not immediately clear, but have you used the loom from the Xsara?

If so, that's probably your problem. Whilst I've never compared a Xsara and Berlingo loom plug pinout, I will say that Peugeot/Citroen are notorious for buggering around with looms between ages and models but having the same connectors, and you end up with all sorts of weird and wonderful behaviour when you use a loom from one car in another of a different age/model. A good example is a Xsara and 306 of the same age, despite being so similar, have completely different pin outs on the loom connectors, even for the same engine.

I would thus strongly suggest using the original DW8 loom and adapting as required. There's so few wires required for an XUD it should be straight forward enough.

As for the immobiliser, a drill and an early (non-immobilised) XUD stop solenoid is your answer.

It's not immediately clear, but have you used the loom from the Xsara?

If so, that's probably your problem. Whilst I've never compared a Xsara and Berlingo loom plug pinout, I will say that Peugeot/Citroen are notorious for buggering around with looms between ages and models but having the same connectors, and you end up with all sorts of weird and wonderful behaviour when you use a loom from one car in another of a different age/model. A good example is a Xsara and 306 of the same age, despite being so similar, have completely different pin outs on the loom connectors, even for the same engine.

I would thus strongly suggest using the original DW8 loom and adapting as required. There's so few wires required for an XUD it should be straight forward enough.

As for the immobiliser, a drill and an early (non-immobilised) XUD stop solenoid is your answer.

Only one word for Peugeot/Citroen and that is BASTARDS.

The plan is to use the DW8 loom along with the Bosch pump that arrived today.

Only one word for Peugeot/Citroen and that is BASTARDS.

The plan is to use the DW8 loom along with the Bosch pump that arrived today.

I imagine a group of aging PSA engineers discussing loom compatibility during their extended lunch break, while going through their third bottle of pastis and their sixth pack of gitanes brunes for the day...

post-17318-0-72895900-1485798790_thumb.jpg

"Dit, Gustave... I reckon we can use the existing XU loom for our new DW engines... We can make minimal modifications, so if any insane scotsmen want to carry out an engine swap in two decades' time it would be a piece of cake."

"Qu'est-ce que c'est cette connerie ? That would be no fun. I say, let's make them completely different ! Those home mechanics are always masochists, so they'll love it."

tIuc1zh.jpg

I hacked the stop solenoid shielding off with an angle grinder, and set fire to a plastic fuel pipe in the process. Not fun and limited access. With the plunger removed I tried turning it over last night, it'd cough but not start, and I burnt out the starter motor with over-vigorous use. It wouldn't start because a couple of the injector lines were tightened finger tight. Great job!

The DW8 starter is a match and in much better condition thankfully.

I got it to run for a bit today but there's still a fuel leak, I thought the pump was leaking but Richard reminded me that the stop solenoid has been disturbed recently.

PQOck5V.jpg

To badge or not to badge?

Oh and the glow plugs aren't working on ignition, I connected them directly to the battery to warm the combustion chambers. What have I done wrong?