Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

• 2 weeks later...

Richard is up this way with work and we got it going again despite my best* efforts (slamming the bonnet down with the bonnet cable improperly routed) The cam and injection pump pulleys were off by one tooth each (my wrestling the belt on) and the stop solenoid plunger was stuck.

It would not idle but adjusting the fuel screw as Arfur suggested got it to idle.

It revs quite high at idle so I guess the pump is too far advanced.

The timing belt sits slightly adrift of the injection pump pulley which is a bit worrying.

The existing one might be ok. I think it was just stuck from lack of use and I felt that removing the plunger would eliminate that from the potential reasons for not starting.

Tonight's job is to try and make both the stop solenoid and glow plugs work from the ignition.

It does worry me that the belt runs off the edge of the pump pulley, is there a reason why that should happen. I can't see that anything is in the wrong place.

Guest Hooli

Are all the pulleys alligned? No spacer missing for the new pump or owt? Tensioner bearing ok? I've seen tensioners run out of true on other cars & cause the belts to work off to the side.

I replaced the water pump and tensioner when the engine was out, the original Lucas pump was in place then. The belt runs exactly where it should on the cam pulley, it's just the pump pulley it's running a bit too far over on. The pulley and pump were bought separately, I'm wondering if the taper varies on them. I can't see how the pump could be fitted any differently. The crankshaft pulley is in place, the top cover is the only part that isn't in place at the moment.

I'm struggling with the glow plug wiring. It's the van's original glow plug relay, which did work before the engine swap, connected to the van's own loom. There are five wires going to it but one of them must not be getting the signal it needs because the relay isn't energising. Does anybody know which wire is which and what's needed to make it work?

Is the pump sprocket aligned with the cam sprocket as far as you can tell?

I had one once where I put the pump spocket on in the wrong orientation, this forced the key into the taper and expanded it a bit.

When I put it back on the right way it sat too far in - couldn't tell with the bolt in.

I managed to put it on in the wrong rotational orientation while trying to change the pump with the sprocket pinned to the bracket. The sprocket is fairly soft metal, I put it in with the key not in the groove but it went in far enough to get the bolt in, then tightening the bolt pulled it on even though the key wasn't in the slot.

Not saying that's what's happened to you but it is possible.

It's possibly worth a check. 

If it's off it would also mess up the pump timing, you did say you were having some problems getting it to idle?

It should be possible to check without disturbing the cambelt, when I did mine the pulley was cracked slightly around the hub bit in the middle.

If you take the bolt off but leave the pulley in place it might also be possible to see if the key is in the right place using mirrors or bendy eyes.

Progress was made tonight. I noticed that the bolt at the back of the pump was at the opposite end of its slot from the studs at the sprocket end, meaning the pump couldn't be rotated for timing. We noticed that the DW8 had two sets of holes for the pump mounting studs, and it turned out that the XUD does too. With the studs moved to the other set of holes and the pump in Arthur F's suggested position it started and ran much better. It's made the belt run properly on the sprocket too, so it was a fruitful evening of tinkering.

Guest Hooli

Are all the pulleys alligned? No spacer missing for the new pump or owt?

I was right in thinking the pump might be mismounted & putting the pulleys out of line then.

Damn I'm good at this 'spot the daft mistake over the internet' game.