Berlingo XUD9TE project (Y THO?)

Lacquer Peel

I ragged mine (contribution to its downfall maybe) and it just felt like a slightly top heavy 306 to drive. Safe and secure.

To be fair, this one of mine is the same. The brakes are also brilliant.

I just don't like FWD vans, they never feel safe. I think the ones I drove had comedy tyres fitted too, which helped*.

Give me a RWD any day, I'll even get a 49 seater coach sideways over a bridge...

I've had FWD and RWD versions of the same shape Transit and the FWD one was much better to drive. It handled better, was much quicker despite being 15PS down, used less fuel and felt more stable. It even had more headroom in the back because the FWD floor is 4" lower. One thing the RWD does score on is traction, I don't think I've ever got stuck with it and the FWD used to get stuck all the time.

I've had FWD and RWD versions of the same shape Transit and the FWD one was much better to drive. It handled better, was much quicker despite being 15PS down, used less fuel and felt more stable. It even had more headroom in the back because the FWD floor is 4" lower. One thing the RWD does score on is traction, I don't think I've ever got stuck with it and the FWD used to get stuck all the time.

The fwd vans have a better final drive in the gearbag, making them quicker in real terms than vans with higher power and RWD .

My 80ps fwd van would piss all over my bosses 100ps rwd van in the lanes. His was revving at 3.5k at 60mphish on the motorway, I would be breaking the speed limit at those revs.

And the RWD ones don't fit in a carwash, so that was me completely out.

I hope everything comes together for you with the Xsara (and Xsara seller) but as a back up I just noticed Panhard65 is selling a turbo XUD Synergie on the sales/wants thread for £75. I know it's many distances away but pre-booked MOT drive back and weigh in the rest to recoup travel costs could be an option.

What grade of gearbox oil is recommended for a PSA 'box? Pricing up all the parts now.

75W80 is the right grade - don't be tempted to chuck any old stuff in there as the synchros are really fussy in my experience.

Total BV (now called Gear8) is the OE stuff and is surprisingly reasonably priced from the dealer - indeed, last time I bought some the dealer was the cheapest supplier!

You'll need 2 litres btw.

I hope everything comes together for you with the Xsara (and Xsara seller) but as a back up I just noticed Panhard65 is selling a turbo XUD Synergie on the sales/wants thread for £75. I know it's many distances away but pre-booked MOT drive back and weigh in the rest to recoup travel costs could be an option.

Good shout but the late XUD9TEs have some electrical bumpf, I don't think it's as straightforward a conversion.

Thanks for the gearbox advice Anthony.

The Xsara seller isn't around until Sunday morning, FFS! So much for the "collection within 48 hours" stated on his listing, apparently he suffered a family bereavement and did sound cut up on the phone when I spoke to him last week, but this has thrown a spanner in the works.

I may be purchasing Reb's Polo 1.9D while I'm in Perth so at least I'll have transport while the van is (still) off the road.